Area specific preps 2

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am stretching it a bit with the thread title but there is an area we missing in preps....Keeping your pants up!! As you know I study and try to learn from our forefathers, There was a reason that almost everyone wore suspenders, Not just for fashion but for very practical reasons. In the past we were closer to the "food" cycle like the animals, there were times of plenty and lean times and your weight would go up and down with the availability of food using a belt while doing manual labor in addition to scarce food times it troublesome not to mention dangerous, Jump up from a gold pan and try to run and pull up your pants when someone is attempting to jump the claim . Now page forward to modern times where we may be faced with a reduced caloric intake harder work days and carrying a pistol on the waist. See what I am getting at? I have discovered Incorporating the belt with a set of suspenders works wonders in keeping your pants and all your equipment where it is supposed to be.

Interesting.....I never thought of it that way. I have some of those elastic red suspenders that were "the thing" back in the 80's. Remember Mork and Mindy?o_O Back then it was good to have your pants up. These days, I'm happy if I walk behind a millennial and NOT see their underwear or crack. Plumbers were the only ones allowed to show that.....and BIL.:D

You're right though, if people were forced into eating their own food (that they had to produce), many would drop weight in quick order!

I switched from a belt to suspenders awhile back.
I really like not having to hike my pants up all the time.
Nothing worse than having your hands full and your pants falling down and that happens even with a belt.
Right now I'm waiting on some metal buttons to arrive so I can switch from clip on to button on suspenders.
The only time I wear my belt is when I carry my gun in my IWB holster.
Pocket carry I still don't need a belt.

logger jeans come with buttons for suspenders. i have worn suspenders alot...pass on the ordinary ones and go straight to logger suspenders.way better quality and leather ends for use with buttons.

if you want to add buttons or fix a button thats pulled through they make item called bachelor buttons.come in bags of 10 or 12 been awhile since i bought any.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=bachelor+buttons,aps,740&crid=2X85C3UW0VR8F

51IoULhAHgL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

another solution is bibs.

my amish friends wear pants that fold over and button on side.they adjust as you gain or lose weight. they wear suspenders with them.

I think I will get a pair of suspenders. I like the concept. I have also dropped about 12 pounds, according to the doctor's scale. My EDC belt is now getting too big and I have run out of proper adjustment. I think I will go down a size on the belt and get the suspenders. SSonb, thanks for the additional prep idea. That is an area specific prep, the area that covers our tush.

https://www.holdupsuspenders.com/

The best suspender company on the market... Cheap chinese crap at wm is just that, crap. For a decade now I only buy from the "hold up suspender company". Its their patented clip design... They don't release until you release it... includes climbing in an out from under tractors an hay balers in fields. They are worth the money. I now own 8 pairs of suspenders they made.

I have two pairs in camo...
https://www.holdupsuspenders.com/search?q=camo

Last edited:
Okay, I have just got to bite, why 8 pairs? I believe the prepper motto one is none but 8 pairs? I did like the site and the price point (appeals to a cheapskate like me) but 8 pair, you must REALLY like them. I think I will stop at just 3 or 4 at the most. I am not that dedicated a prepper. :thumbs up:

Okay, I have just got to bite, why 8 pairs? :thumbs up:

It took me 10 years to figure out which ones suited me the best. Including the one pair I wear with my funeral/wedding suit (same difference :( ).

All the other ones I own now are 2 inches wide, they don’t get tangled. And they come in Camo! :D

And most importantly, they don’t come undone. I really like them.

It took me 10 years to figure out which ones suited me the best. Including the one pair I wear with my funeral/wedding suit (same difference :( ).

All the other ones I own now are 2 inches wide, they don’t get tangled. And they come in Camo! :D

And most importantly, they don’t come undone. I really like them.

Okay, that makes sense to me. I was afraid you might have developed a fetish for suspenders. :eyeballs: So you vote for the 2 inch wide. I am not sure I need camo, If the critters get close enough to spot the color on my suspenders, I have really dropped the ball. I suppose they do match your hunting outfit. They would look kinda cool at the range, Okay maybe just one pair of camo. :thumbs up:

@ssonb that is a good point having suspenders or good belts to hold up your pants :) . I have always had trouble with that anyway being a taller rather slimmer figure than most with a faster metabolism and pulse rate as well. It is easy for me to loose 2 - 3kg by just going outside and doing a good couple of hours gardening work.

if you want to add buttons or fix a button thats pulled through they make item called bachelor buttons.come in bags of 10 or 12 been awhile since i bought any.
I bought some of those.
I put them on yesterday and 3 of them came off while I was buttoning my suspenders on.
I'm going to stay with the sew on buttons.
I have a pair of truckers suspenders. They have 2 clips so they attach to the side of your pants not the front and back.
They work well but they don't have buttons so I don't wear them as often.

Latest posts

Back