Baofeng Sales Ban Countdown

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Weedy has more than one...then that means I should too.
I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems like a good idea.
Can't resell later, check.
Might need antenna, check.
Training essential for someone like me.
License to operate? I get the impression that is required if operating on a different level. As you can see, I am clueless. Recently checked out ham for dummies but was lost there too.
What do you recommend for training, tutorials, etc?

A lot of radios can do a lot more, but these are great to throw in a bag, glove compartment, back seat or anywhere. They're cheap enough you can keep one just about everywhere.

Regarding training: learning how to use a radio isn't rocket surgery. If you can operate a cell phone, you can learn the basics of how these radios work. Hamstudy.org is one of many excellent resources you can use to learn a lot. While I encourage everyone to get their Technician level license - the easiest to get - even if you don't get it, the resources are out there to teach you what you should know. Getting the license is free. Taking the test is usually free. At most, expect to pay around $15 for the test.

But even if you don't get a license, you should at least know how to operate a radio. Kinda like how you should know how to handle a firearm or grow food. Just sayin'. :) If anyone has questions of any sort, post them here - I'm happy to help and I'm sure other hams here would, too.

Yeah, because they can transmit outside authorized HAM frequencies. So can a home-built radio, of course.

If Weedy has more than one...then that means I should too.
I have no idea what I'm doing but it seems like a good idea.
Can't resell later, check.
Might need antenna, check.
Training essential for someone like me.
License to operate? I get the impression that is required if operating on a different level. As you can see, I am clueless. Recently checked out ham for dummies but was lost there too.
What do you recommend for training, tutorials, etc?
Patchouli: If two is one and one is none, then we need more than one radio. I think there should be a radio for each family member and a couple spares. Sh** happens!

I think of my aunt and uncle on their large farm/ranch. Six children, all going different directions. Someone loading feed, someone feeding hogs, someone plowing or planting, someone delivering something, someone running to town to pick up parts. This was before cell phones. They had radios to communicate: "coming in from the field for X and will eat breakfast." If people have to go out and take care of something, having a way to communicate besides cell phones would be important in emergencies. Cell towers down? Got radios!

But these are more than walkie talkies.
If you're in on ham frequencies, then isn't that where you need license if you're transmitting, which I suppose some hams see as interfering or breaking the law if you don't have License? And how would they know, @Caribou is asking? I want to know too but maybe that's like giving whiskey to a puppy.
@bkt ham radio operating does seem like rocket surgery to me. :confused:

I've been operating a radio since I was a teen. I've talked around the world including the Coast Guard, all without a license. If you sound like you know what you're doing nobody asks any questions. Certain frequencies don't require a license, start there. Listen to how people speak and emulate them.

The people that went through the trouble to get a license can get a little cranky if they figure that you don't have a license but they are easily ignored. In an emergency it is legal to use any frequency. It is really easy and taking a class will help you feel comfortable. These are inexpensive radios with a wide range of frequencies. Get them now, while you can, and then learn how to use them. If you wait till you know how to use them they won't be available.

But these are more than walkie talkies.
If you're in on ham frequencies, then isn't that where you need license if you're transmitting, which I suppose some hams see as interfering or breaking the law if you don't have License? And how would they know, @Caribou is asking? I want to know too but maybe that's like giving whiskey to a puppy.
@bkt ham radio operating does seem like rocket surgery to me. :confused:
This would be a great reason to belong to a group of like minded people who meet regularly to learn new things. Any group is as strong as the weakest link. I can see meeting once a month, maybe on a Saturday, with different topics each month. Ham radio, soap making, loading sessions, gun cleaning... The ideas are endless.

Well I did it. I ordered a 5 pack with spare batteries and antennas. I did however end up getting the Baofeng UV-5R + model, which is reportedly the same radio with a slightly more rugged housing that comes in various colors.

This would be a great reason to belong to a group of like minded people who meet regularly to learn new things. Any group is as strong as the weakest link. I can see meeting once a month, maybe on a Saturday, with different topics each month. Ham radio, soap making, loading sessions, gun cleaning... The ideas are endless.

Very good idea Weedy! :thumbs:
Maybe a SHTF Meeting is in order. :cool:

We just got a radio for the boat, guess one more won't break us.

I've been operating a radio since I was a teen. I've talked around the world including the Coast Guard, all without a license. If you sound like you know what you're doing nobody asks any questions. Certain frequencies don't require a license, start there. Listen to how people speak and emulate them.

The people that went through the trouble to get a license can get a little cranky if they figure that you don't have a license but they are easily ignored. In an emergency it is legal to use any frequency. It is really easy and taking a class will help you feel comfortable. These are inexpensive radios with a wide range of frequencies. Get them now, while you can, and then learn how to use them. If you wait till you know how to use them they won't be available.

How do you fake your call sign id. Hams are careful about those that are real hams and not just folks using the frequencies illegally. Of course, should SHTF, I bet a lot of that worry goes away.

Well I did it. I ordered a 5 pack with spare batteries and antennas. I did however end up getting the Baofeng UV-5R + model, which is reportedly the same radio with a slightly more rugged housing that comes in various colors.

Any of these look ok? @Caribou and Sentry which one?

How do you fake your call sign id. Hams are careful about those that are real hams and not just folks using the frequencies illegally. Of course, should SHTF, I bet a lot of that worry goes away.

Angie these are good questions the kind I don't know to ask about,so thanks.

The call sign is a station license. I use an old ship call sign or a ship name. I've worked on enough boats to remember call signs. Unless you use their frequencies nobody will catch it. Commercial vessels standby on emergency frequencies and switch to company frequencies for business, I've never seen anyone scanning just to listen to chatter like a ham does. To be honest I rarely have a reason to talk on the radio. I don't just chat so nobody is worried about real business as long as you sound professional. In a SHTF situation nobody is coming around knocking on your door. Get the knowledge and get the license if you wish.

The call sign is a station license. I use an old ship call sign or a ship name. I've worked on enough boats to remember call signs. Unless you use their frequencies nobody will catch it. Commercial vessels standby on emergency frequencies and switch to company frequencies for business, I've never seen anyone scanning just to listen to chatter like a ham does. To be honest I rarely have a reason to talk on the radio. I don't just chat so nobody is worried about real business as long as you sound professional. In a SHTF situation nobody is coming around knocking on your door. Get the knowledge and get the license if you wish.

@Caribou did you see my question? I need help with radio choice.

I can't advise which are good, better, or best but these are the ones I just purchased. I looked on Amazon and several other sites and they were always very highly reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...plus&qid=1566408905&s=wireless&sr=1-1-catcorr

71VhF3+-ZWL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes. I am not the radio nut that many here are. I bought the Bofeng UV-5R because others here and at another site that I frequent liked it. When they made them illegal I bought a few more. I recently bought spare antennas, mics, and holders for regular batteries to fit them. Which are the best of any of these I don't know. I figure that anything beats nothing.

Five years from now these should be worth far more than I paid and I will have forgotten that it is illegal to sell them.

Last edited:
Yes. I am not the radio nut that many here are. I bought the Bofeng UV-5R because others here and at another site that I frequent liked it. When the made them illegal I bought a few more. I recently bought spare antennas, mics, and holders fro regular batteries to fit them. Which are the best of any of these I don't know. I figure that anything beats nothing.

Five years from now these should be worth far more than I paid and I will have forgotten that it is illegal to sell them.

senior moments often are the best !!...roflmao

Just bought some UV-5R's on Prime day. Amazon has a bunch of options for these. But I agree prices almost certainly will climb the closer the date gets.

BacP how many do we need? And which ones did you get?

Meerkat, I think you need at least one for every person in your household, and spares if you can afford them. I think of them going into my bag as part of my daily carry.

The one thing that I have been thinking about is range. It appears that they mostly have a range of about a mile? A ham radio has a much further range, but has other limitations, such as portability. I say that, but I am really lacking in knowledge about them.

In general they don't if you don't say. There are some interesting points in those two links. Homebrew equipment can do a lot more than what these little radios do.

@Angie Angie could you explain ,homebrew?

Spoofing someone's call sign isn't recommended. In an emergency where other forms of communication are unavailable, anyone may use a radio on amateur frequencies and other rescue frequencies. While it is technically illegal to do this, the Baofengs can be programmed to use FRS, MURS and GMRS frequencies. FRS is the no-no because I believe the max watts allowed is 0.1 and the minimum the Baofeng puts out is 1 watt. GMRS and MURS may be OK...not certain. You could theoretically practice on those frequencies without stepping on any licensing issues.

You'll note FRS and GMRS use UHF frequencies where MURS uses VHS. Some might consider this "room to experiment".

Channel Frequency FRS Power FRS Bandwidth GMRS Power GMRS Bandwidth Notes/Usage
01 462.5625 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
02 462.5875 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
03 462.6125 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
04 462.6375 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
05 462.6625 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
06 462.6875 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
07 462.7125 2 W 12.5 kHz 5 W 20 kHz (1)
08 467.5625 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
09 467.5875 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
10 467.6125 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
11 467.6375 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
12 467.6625 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
13 467.6875 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
14 467.7125 0.5 W 12.5 kHz 0.5 W 12.5 kHz (1)
15 462.5500 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
16 462.5750 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
17 462.6000 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
18 462.6250 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
19 462.6500 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
20 462.6750 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
21 462.7000 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
22 462.7250 2 W 12.5 kHz 50 W 20 kHz (1) (2)
467.5500 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.5750 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.6000 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.6250 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.6500 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.6750 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.7000 50 W 20 kHz (3)
467.7250 50 W 20 kHz (3)

(1) Shared FRS and GMRS simplex.
(2) GMRS repeater output.
(3) GMRS repeater input only.

MURS frequencies (limited to 2 watts max):

Frequency Maximum
Channel authorized bandwidth Channel name
1 151.820 MHz 11.25 kHz MURS 1
2 151.880 MHz 11.25 kHz MURS 2
3 151.940 MHz 11.25 kHz MURS 3
4 154.570 MHz 20.00 kHz Blue Dot
5 154.600 MHz 20.00 kHz Green Dot

Sorry for the lousy formatting. Can you insert HTML (like a table) on this forum?

Meerkat, I think you need at least one for every person in your household, and spares if you can afford them. I think of them going into my bag as part of my daily carry.

The one thing that I have been thinking about is range. It appears that they mostly have a range of about a mile? A ham radio has a much further range, but has other limitations, such as portability. I say that, but I am really lacking in knowledge about them.
Radio's are much like guns, different ones are better for different purposes. If you want to shoot at 1000 meters you will pick a different gun than you would pick for home defence.

Home-brewed means homemade.

Latest posts

Back