Bear Spray Failure

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little different than the account of this event that I read. A large bear cub was what attacked the bow hunter while the guide was dealing with the mom. The cub broke off his attack to help his mama.
The next day a rescue crew went back. They found the guide had been partially eaten and covered by the bears for later use. The rescue crew was charged by the two bears and killed both of the bears.
Why didn't the hunter use his bow on the bears if he was unable to make the gun work?

That's what I was thinkin'...!!

Having a 10mm handgun does not mean that you still wouldn't end up dead but obviously it would give you a fighting chance.

Shot Placement is the key...

Most victims will either freeze, run, or fixate on the head as it charges...so an eye or mouth shot is your best bet, since it's not gonna give you a vitals shot already charging you...and that's if you can be that willing to stand your ground to aim at that charging mass of dense muscle and bone as you empty your weapon at danger close range...

Most cannot...

That's the difference between a warrior and a victim...a survivor and a dead man.

The WILL to do what it takes to survive...

Shot Placement is the key...

Most victims will either freeze, run, or fixate on the head as it charges...so an eye or mouth shot is your best bet, since it's not gonna give you a vitals shot already charging you...and that's if you can be that willing to stand your ground to aim at that charging mass of dense muscle and bone as you empty your weapon at danger close range...

Most cannot...

That's the difference between a warrior and a victim...a survivor and a dead man.

The WILL to do what it takes to survive...

Preach it Shooter! (Hey havvy, I’d actually like to give this about 5 likes!)

Preach it Shooter! (Hey havvy, I’d actually like to give this about 5 likes!)
Me too.
The WILL to do what it takes to survive....
Boy you touched on a sensitive topic there.
Those of us that will, without blinking an eyelash, extinguish the life of an errant life-form are viewed by people with wide eyes and mouth agape as "cold-blooded".
We're monsters.
I've been very quiet: bear-spray, hairspray:rolleyes:. What a nature-lover's pipe-dream: "Don't hurt the bear, it's a beautiful creature of nature!"
flower70.gif
quickkiss75.gif

Horse-hockey. It is natures killing-machine. And you are no different to it than a small deer. Dinner.
If you go into their territory you better be ready to send it something more potent than a "scathing Tweet":p.
Guess what the .454 Casull is made for? Not for squirrels, but it will definitely change a bear's mind.
"The will to do what it takes to survive".
That's where us 'cold-blooded', heartless bastards get into trouble.
My rule is, any life-form that attacks a human, we don't need.
Growing up I had to shoot animals for slaughter that had done nothing wrong.
Once you have had to do that, the rest are 'no-brainers'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was the Glock in a backpack 25' away, but that stupid bear spray was holstered on his side. Reverse this, and he would have been around to tell his story. Ridiculous.

I agree...as does Larry Mudgett. An excerpt from his excellent article...

The other common answer from those who comment on firearms for predator defense insist that pepper spray is the only way to go. I have found a recent case where a woman used pepper spray on an attacking bear and it did not work. She was mauled. Pepper spray in our opinion is over rated. We have learned that every time a Ranger uses pepper spray to chase a nuisance bear away from a camp ground it is counted as a successful defensive application. I suspect that the data is purposely misleading because park officials do not want bears being shot unnecessarily and would prefer outdoorsmen try to use a non-lethal alternative. Note that the pepper spray used by Law Enforcement Officers to subdue criminals works in some cases and does not work in many others.”

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/dangerous-predators-stopped-with-handguns/

I agree...as does Larry Mudgett. An excerpt from his excellent article...

The other common answer from those who comment on firearms for predator defense insist that pepper spray is the only way to go. I have found a recent case where a woman used pepper spray on an attacking bear and it did not work. She was mauled. Pepper spray in our opinion is over rated. We have learned that every time a Ranger uses pepper spray to chase a nuisance bear away from a camp ground it is counted as a successful defensive application. I suspect that the data is purposely misleading because park officials do not want bears being shot unnecessarily and would prefer outdoorsmen try to use a non-lethal alternative. Note that the pepper spray used by Law Enforcement Officers to subdue criminals works in some cases and does not work in many others.”

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/dangerous-predators-stopped-with-handguns/
Exactly!
Not a single one of the 'Nature People' thought for a second that the pepper-spray may just piss the bear off even more?
Let's see now, which would you prefer?
Thinking.gif

1. An attacking bear.
2. A pissed-off attacking bear.
3. An attacking bear that folds into a smoldering heap in front of you?
MarksmanshipMatters said:
"When the bear stood on his hind legs and advanced on the trio the guide shot him twice in the head with a 10 mm Glock dropping the bear dead on the spot."...
"...the Ranger was able to draw his 4-inch S&W model 66, .357 Magnum revolver. His ammunition was 158 grain semi jacketed hollow point. As he fought with the bear he shot it four or five times in the head. The bullets did not penetrate the bear’s skull. He shot the bear in the neck with his 5th or 6th shot, killing it instantly."
"...By this time, he had been able to draw his .41 Magnum revolver. As the bear approached, the victim was able to shoot, stop and kill the bear"
"...The hunters rifle was out of reach but he was able to retrieve a .44 magnum revolver from its holster where the guide had hung it from a tree branch. The bear was standing on his hind legs towering over the hunter when he shot it once in the chest. The bear fell over and died immediately."
"...The bear was charging from behind the victim. He spun around, drawing his Ruger Alaskan Super Red Hawk .454 Casull which was loaded with 360 grain hard cast lead flat point bullets. One of the shots broke a shoulder turning the bear and putting him down."
If a bear attacks a human, that's one bear we don't need.
Heavy caliber handgun, if you want to be a survivor. Not some silly pepper-spray:rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to change subjects, but as a retired cop I am often asked what type of pepper spray is best for a young woman to protect herself from savage beasts. I tell them that as a police officer, many of our own cops would use this same spray as taco sauce to add some spice to their food. Do you really want to trust your life to a taco sauce? I refuse to answer the question and usually tell them to apply for their CCW license, because there is nothing else out there that will give you protection.

Not to change subjects, but as a retired cop I am often asked what type of pepper spray is best for a young woman to protect herself from savage beasts. I tell them that as a police officer, many of our own cops would use this same spray as taco sauce to add some spice to their food. Do you really want to trust your life to a taco sauce? I refuse to answer the question and usually tell them to apply for their CCW license, because there is nothing else out there that will give you protection.
Agreed Mr. Mark, I think some folks just want to feel a sense of protection minus a gun, ie. knife, bat, OC, but not a gun!

Agreed Mr. Mark, I think some folks just want to feel a sense of protection minus a gun, ie. knife, bat, OC, but not a gun!
If you're dealing with people who would rather be "caught dead" (pun) than have a capable firearm, there is an effective alternative...

Before there were firearms...

There was "Full Chainmail Armor".

Still made today:
collectors-chainmail-armor.jpg

100% effective in deterring a bear attack.
Tell'em either 'strap on' or 'suit up' :rolleyes:.

I've always favored taking someone with me that can't run as fast as I can. :confused;

Latest posts

Back