Beavers - destroying my trees:(

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for dealing with destructive beavers. Please don't state the obvious......killing them or relocating them. We don't live by the river where the property is being affected and the river is well traveled in the summer season so we don't want the liability issue if someone get injured by a beaver trap b/c with our luck, someone would. During the past 2 winter seasons they have been taking out our beautiful maple trees by the river. Those trees provide wonderful shade in the summer and lovely color in the fall. They are anywhere from 2 to 6 inches at the base.

Aside from finding a trapper in the area, is there any other way to keep them out? Is there any sort of paint or something that we could coat the base of the trees with? In the fall we will probably wrap the bases in chicken wire, but that's gonna take a lot of work. I'm looking for other ideas if anyone has them. Thanks.

Last edited:
How many trees?
Wire on the trees works best.
Can you put up a fence around the perimeter?
Electric fence may work. Put it about 4-6" off the ground.
You can paint the trees. It's best to mix in sand but I don't recall how much. Painting small trees isn't good though.
Cayenne pepper mixed with vegetable oil then painting on the trees may work. Again, painting small trees isn't good.

wire tree protectors wrapped around them.

best thing to do is contact govt trapper and they will remove them...i think they go by wildlife service now...some such better sounding name...use your tax dollars by getting something back from them.

Beavers don't stop... they chew and chew. The effective method i use is Sleepy Creek #1000, 10"x10" body grip traps. About $30 each.

@Mountain trapper might have a better idea.

cone02.jpgconebear.jpg

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=sl1000&title=Sleepy-Creek-#1000-Body-Grip--Beaver-Trap

To stop them you will have to destroy their dam far enough away to make it too far on land for them to take your trees for any purpose drain their backwater far enough to expose their hutch to invasion and keep it down. it is an everyday task and may require you to buy 100 feet of 8 to 12inch drain pipe and drill it with a 1/2 to 3/4 drill about 10 holes every 2 feet then put a heavy wire cage over the ends of it.

Even if they build the dam up, the pipe will drain the water from below the dam.

It is hard work but the only way I have ever seen take them out of a stream.

You must walk the stream and destroy any area they start to rebuild for months.

I call them connabear traps. They do work well. I've only used them on muskrats (that were destroying my pond). You'll need big ones for beavers.

I call them conibears also. But no where on the page i linked is that word used. So I used their verbiage, body grip. :)

Last edited:
They were destroying the birch trees around the cabin property (450 feet of waterfront). Dad and brother wrapped all the trees. They would chew one down and take one branch. They wouldn’t come back to the same tree for more—they would chew a new one down.

I know you don’t want to kill them but it is really the only answer. Knock holes in the dams and houses. Shoot or trap every beaver you can. I have a wonderful beaver skin hat that I am grateful for every winter. You could take up farming on the land they cleared for you.

They were destroying the birch trees around the cabin property (450 feet of waterfront). Dad and brother wrapped all the trees. They would chew one down and take one branch. They wouldn’t come back to the same tree for more—they would chew a new one down.
Beavers like rats and mice are rodents which come from the Latin for gnawer. Their teeth keep growing so they have to keep them worn down. They HAVE TO chew.

Ben

Last edited:
How many trees?
Can you put up a fence around the perimeter?
Electric fence may work. Put it about 4-6" off the ground.
I'm not sure what we're down to now since I haven't personally seen the damage. There's probably only about a few dozen left by now, but I'm just guessing. It's just an area by the river where we sit and enjoy the scene. A fence would be too cumbersome due to a steep incline and make weeding out the area a pain. We also don't have electricity there. But, I like your ideas.

best thing to do is contact govt trapper and they will remove them...
A govt trapper? I never knew such a thing existed. They do it for free? How would I find one in my area?

To stop them you will have to destroy their dam
At this point, hubby did not see any dam in the area. It is not swampy where we are. Just riverside property. I think the forest service would destroy any efforts for a dam since there are homes on the river and also lots of people using the river in the summertime. But, we'll certainly pay attention when we float the river this summer for any dams and other chewed up trees.

You must walk the stream and destroy any area they start to rebuild for months.
It's a river. It's a no go for us anyways since we are only there a few weeks intermittently during the summer/fall.

This is one way to build it, you can also make it lengthwise for a wide area It needs to be on an area that will not silt in.

View attachment 128006
Those are cool but unfortunately won't work in our situation. The river is full of tubers and kayakers all summer long. Plus we don't have any culverts, nor is the river shallow enough for something like that near our property. Besides, I'm sure the drunks in the canoes would have that torn out in a heartbeat.

I know you don’t want to kill them but it is really the only answer.
I don't mind them being killed. It's just that we can't do it. We're not there for long enough periods of time and when we are there, the beavers aren't.

I spoke to a critter getter today and he said the same thing Ben did. Beavers have to chew, whether they use the wood for a dam or not.....they have to keep their teeth conditioned so they don't get too long. He would put traps out before the river got too overrun with people, but there are no guarantees and he is charging $600 for 30 days. Since they have to check their traps routinely, I understand the charge. We'll re-evaluate when we go down there in a couple of weeks or so and make a plan. I'm thinking that putting wire around the trees that remain might be our best option. It is a river after all, so even if we can get rid of the critters that are causing issues now, there's no guarantee that others won't take their place sooner or later. Hubby's taking his 17 Henry anyways just in case he gets a good shot at one.

I learned a lot about beavers today while talking to the critter getter. It was not really something I was planning on learning today. Ha ha. Thanks to all of you who replied. I learned even more........

Trap and eliminate.. Anything else is not a reliable solution, or just moving a ..problem.. to be someone else ..problem.. Besides introducing a strange animal to an established area doesn't mean they will get along..

At our ..bush ranch.. down stream of the dam on our pond where the swamp crossed the road there was a beaver we called ..Bob the Cross Eyed Beaver.. He would fell trees that many times were across the road.. He was constantly plugging the culvert and after 3-4 times the highway department had to clean it out... Bob and family were ..evicted..

A govt trapper? I never knew such a thing existed. They do it for free? How would I find one in my area?
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife-services

Dont know state you live in but some states have a program as well as some counties besides the above feds route.

Also most states you can contact local game warden and get a 'kill permit' for you the landowner as well to do it yourself or use a method not usually done..i.e. just shoot beaver vs. trapping them. etc. i have gotten deer permits in past.

Beavers don't stop... they chew and chew. The effective method i use is Sleepy Creek #1000, 10"x10" body grip traps. About $30 each.

@Mountain trapper might have a better idea.

View attachment 128004View attachment 128005

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=sl1000&title=Sleepy-Creek-#1000-Body-Grip--Beaver-Trap
The body grip, or Coniber trap is probably the easiest way to catch a beaver. As long as you can find their slide or channel in the water. If you can find their dam, you can make a small brake in the dam and put in a #4 foot hold trap under 4-6" of water. Any shallower than that and your likely to just get chest hair. You want a back foot catch. Make sure that you use a drowning cable with a one-way slider. You need to make sure that you drown the beaver.

I call them conibears also. But no where on the page i linked is that word used. So I used their verbiage, body grip. :)
Conibear is the name of the man that developed this particular style of trap. A Canadian trapper, I think. Now days they're just called body grips. I'm old enough that I still call them all Conibears.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife-services

Dont know state you live in but some states have a program as well as some counties besides the above feds route.

Also most states you can contact local game warden and get a 'kill permit' for you the landowner as well to do it yourself or use a method not usually done..i.e. just shoot beaver vs. trapping them. etc. i have gotten deer permits in past.
Why call the government for help? Just wait for Fall or winter and get a license and take care of the problem yourself.

Why call the government for help? Just wait for Fall or winter and get a license and take care of the problem yourself.
Trees be dead by then !!! Its for when things need done now not later...OUT OF SEASON !... livestock guys in west love their govt trappers...! stock killing lions and more.

Did you not read the posts in thread....??..get some of your tax money back taken from you.They are on the pay roll daily...keep them busy !!

plus you missed what angie said...below

It's a river. It's a no go for us anyways since we are only there a few weeks intermittently during the summer/fall.

and

I don't mind them being killed. It's just that we can't do it. We're not there for long enough periods of time and when we are there, the beavers aren't.

Last edited:
It depends on where you live what you can do.

If it is a protected wetland area there is not much you can do if killing them off will cause the water level to fall.

The Feds have programs to maintain, control and test Beavers for disease. They also have Beaver control agents that you can request help from, but they may also tell you that you can't kill them or interfere with them.

As for the drains they work perpendicular to the dam as a breach also, not just to prevent culverts from being blocked that picture shows the full structure though while one anchored in the bottom of the dam after you breach it will be built back over but cant be sealed to hold water. Most times they have to And Will build a completely new dam if they have enough time and can survive any predators in the area.

Like said.. Depending on your location and fur bearer trapping rules many trappers use beaver meat as a bait.. I know cougar, wolf, coyote, fox, lynx, martin, ermine are a few fur bearers that will go wild over beaver bait.. So there is likely someone in your area that will be glad to ...take care... of the problem...

Latest posts

Back