Behaviors that you have to stay safe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was driving with someone and there was lots of traffic that was going above the speed limit. I was told it is safer to go with the flow. One car that tries to do the speed limit while most are doing 5 miles above it creates a safety issue. Go with the flow.
^This is good advice.

This also reminds me of when I was young. My parents were totally against me buying a motorcycle unless I took a course in motorcycle safety first. Among the things the instructor taught us was we have to be aware of our own behavior on the road, and also misbehavior of others around us. He also made it clear that if we don't keep up with the flow of traffic, they will run over us.

After you get in your car lock the door. Just because you wouldn’t go up to a random car and pull the door open on them doesn’t mean they won’t do it to you. I agree with the other comments about remaining vigilant. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings.
Many cars these days have auto locks on the doors, if the doors are closed when you start it. Some vehicles auto lock when you put your car in gear to drive.

Let's see, a list of my OCD?
1. I always carry a locking blade knife
2. I carry a tire patch kit and inflator with me in the car
3. I always wear and armored jacket, boots, gloves and helmet when I am on the motorcycles
4. I have auto timers in my house to turn lights on and off at normal hours I would use them.
5. I stay far enough back from the car ahead of me that if someone tries to attack me in the car I can still pull forward and hopefully around or next to the car in front of me so that they can't attack from the drivers side door. If nothing else I can keep pulling 20 ft back and fourth to make the attacker have to deal with a moving target and maybe get their legs run over.
6. I am an unashamed people watcher
7. I have motion detecting lights on the property.
8. I do not rely upon the mirrors in vehicles, I also turn my head and look. I am also an unashamed user of the car horn and if you are drifting into my lane while on the cell phone you can expect to hear it and the extra hi low horns I added for several seconds to let the person your chatting with know you are an idiot.
9. I always move to the right if I am not passing someone and never hover next to a semi. I've seen them swerve into cars and lose a retread that went thru a windshield.
10. I never leave spare keys un secured in the house since criminals can take them and reenter the house later if locks are not changed. Same goes for garage door openers.

I knew a guy that liked to fight people for money.
He was around 5'10" and 200 lbs.
He offered to fight a guy one night in a bar for $500.
The other guy was a huge biker.
The guy passed on fighting and left shaking his head wondering what kind of idiot he was.
I told the guy I was with he was insane and he just smiled and said the first thing he would have done is get the guys pony tail and get him on the ground.
Then the guy wasn't so big.
I stayed away from him after that.
He apparently did that almost every weekend.
Never judge a person by the way they look.
Stupid comes in all types and sizes.

...When I go to bed at night, I take my purse, car keys...

Newer cars have Fobs to lock/unlock AND a alarm mode (headlights flash and horn sounds). If someone does break into your house you can activate your vehicle alarm (assuming your vehicle isn't parked in bed with you). Alarm could scare the intruder away without reveling your location.

When the wife is home every light is on to keep the scary unknowns in her imagination away.
When we are not at home, lights are off. Once it a great while I'll leave a different single light on.
When I'm home alone any light that could be seen from outside is off, I don't answer the door or answer the phone. An intruder(s) assuming "no lights" and "no answer" when I'm home alone would at the very least have to change his/hers drawers.

Once a month wife hosts a week long "party" (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday) to sell "product". Wednesday night church was canceled and I heard voices upstairs. I assumed that since church had been canceled she included this Wednesday in her party. About an hour later I thought those women folks are awfully quite so I went up stairs to investigate. Unfortunately the police are not allowed to profile suspects, I can. Let's just say there was a male "one-eyed purple people eater" sitting in my living room. There are zero "one-eyed purple people eaters" that live in my part of the world so it was obvious to me the male didn't belong. Wife introduces me, he was a sweeper salesman and after giving my wife a sales pitch he was awaiting for his boss to pick him up. I suggested that he leave now and wait for his boss at the end of the lane. As I walked him towards the door our door bell sounded. I open the door to found #2 "one-eyed purple people eater" smiling at me. Before #2 could say anything I told them both that we are NOT interested and they are both leaving now. At no time did I turn my back on either of them or allow the wife to get between them and me. I locked the door behind them and the wife decided now wasn't a good time to explain to me the why. I went back down stairs to finish the project I had been working on and to let my blood pressure go back down to normal. She had opened the door because the door bell had sounded and to see who it was (I pointed out AGAIN that is why we have a peep hole in the doors and that you DON'T open the doors to strangers). When he explained what he was selling wife didn't want to be rude so she invited him in. On hindsight she doesn't think it was a good idea to let him upstairs in our bedroom for the demo!?!?!?!?!? I calmly explained that now a stranger knows what type of alarm system we have (or don't have), the layout of the house and where the master bedroom is and I wouldn't be surprised if the house was burglarized soon. Wife thought it over and now agrees with me that the door between the house and garage should be locked when we aren't home. And yes I was concealed carry during my interaction with both "one-eyed purple people eaters".

Newer cars have Fobs to lock/unlock AND a alarm mode (headlights flash and horn sounds). If someone does break into your house you can activate your vehicle alarm (assuming your vehicle isn't parked in bed with you). Alarm could scare the intruder away without reveling your location.

When the wife is home every light is on to keep the scary unknowns in her imagination away.
When we are not at home, lights are off. Once it a great while I'll leave a different single light on.
When I'm home alone any light that could be seen from outside is off, I don't answer the door or answer the phone. An intruder(s) assuming "no lights" and "no answer" when I'm home alone would at the very least have to change his/hers drawers.

Once a month wife hosts a week long "party" (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday) to sell "product". Wednesday night church was canceled and I heard voices upstairs. I assumed that since church had been canceled she included this Wednesday in her party. About an hour later I thought those women folks are awfully quite so I went up stairs to investigate. Unfortunately the police are not allowed to profile suspects, I can. Let's just say there was a male "one-eyed purple people eater" sitting in my living room. There are zero "one-eyed purple people eaters" that live in my part of the world so it was obvious to me the male didn't belong. Wife introduces me, he was a sweeper salesman and after giving my wife a sales pitch he was awaiting for his boss to pick him up. I suggested that he leave now and wait for his boss at the end of the lane. As I walked him towards the door our door bell sounded. I open the door to found #2 "one-eyed purple people eater" smiling at me. Before #2 could say anything I told them both that we are NOT interested and they are both leaving now. At no time did I turn my back on either of them or allow the wife to get between them and me. I locked the door behind them and the wife decided now wasn't a good time to explain to me the why. I went back down stairs to finish the project I had been working on and to let my blood pressure go back down to normal. She had opened the door because the door bell had sounded and to see who it was (I pointed out AGAIN that is why we have a peep hole in the doors and that you DON'T open the doors to strangers). When he explained what he was selling wife didn't want to be rude so she invited him in. On hindsight she doesn't think it was a good idea to let him upstairs in our bedroom for the demo!?!?!?!?!? I calmly explained that now a stranger knows what type of alarm system we have (or don't have), the layout of the house and where the master bedroom is and I wouldn't be surprised if the house was burglarized soon. Wife thought it over and now agrees with me that the door between the house and garage should be locked when we aren't home. And yes I was concealed carry during my interaction with both "one-eyed purple people eaters".
And this is just one reason I don't answer the door when someone decides to ring the bell. I have known of one person being at my door, and thinking someone is home and then coming back later. That is why I finally put the sign on the front door, saying I don't answer the door if I am not expecting you.

My neighbor was out feeding his goats and someone went in his house and robbed him.
They knew exactly where the good stuff was and were in and out quickly.
Happened twice.
His fault for leaving the door unlocked but even worse is the people he allows in.
His son is a gang banger and has been in and out of prison and still hangs with gang bangers.
Someone took his car and my wife saw it going by.
She told him what the guy looked like and it was one of the kids friends.
I keep an eye open when I see them around.
They are all illegals so you never know who or how many people live there.

I Look at People, Not like a "Hard Stare", just long enough so that they They understand that I see them. I make Eye contact. Sometimes I wave and smile like I know them. Predators Hate that. Most look away or down. Yes Ive had altercations. I expect it.

Lots of good information here.

Weedy, I took your "park with the front end facing out" to heart last night. It's funny, but I've noticed that parking certain ways can make me feel uncomfortable, yet I've ignored that feeling (something I shouldn't do). After reading your #2 I thought, that's it! That's why I don't like to park facing away from the road - and given the way you put it, that feeling really IS logical.

Lots of good information here.

Weedy, I took your "park with the front end facing out" to heart last night. It's funny, but I've noticed that parking certain ways can make me feel uncomfortable, yet I've ignored that feeling (something I shouldn't do). After reading your #2 I thought, that's it! That's why I don't like to park facing away from the road - and given the way you put it, that feeling really IS logical.
Thank you. I worked in a building where almost everyone parked facing out. It seems that once one person does it, others get. In this school building, there was a long car line at the end of a school day for pickup. If employees had to leave early, pulling out instead of having to back out was more challenging.

I always get my keys out before I go out the door to my car, especially while shopping.
A woman standing in the parking lot, digging around for her keys is an easy mark. I have a couple friends for whom this is common, standing by their car, setting down bags while they dig around for their keys in their purses.

An experience my daughter's friend had a couple days ago. A guy drives up as she is getting out of her house. He says he is late to get to this address, can she call this number and he can verify the address. She dials the number, hand the phone to the guy, and he drives off with her unlocked phone. I have had people ask me, while I was out walking a dog, if they could borrow my phone. No, I don't have one on me. My daughter told me she came out of a movie with a friend. A guy asked her friend if he could use his phone. The friend looked at the guy and said, "If I have to chase you down, it will not end well for you." The guy decided he didn't need to use the phone.

Latest posts

Back