Behaviors that you have to stay safe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know that many people are more about safety than I am, but I do have several behaviors that I use to stay safe. Some are easy and self explanatory.

Please add yours, or help us understand how something we are doing may not be the safest.

1. I keep all my doors locked, even when I am home or in the yard. (I know people who live in big cities and don't) I keep many things locked up. I never know when someone might decide to visit and take something they want.

2. Park with my front end pointing out, so I can leave quickly if I need to.

3. Use a purse with a heavy strap that goes over my shoulder (and head). When I worked in the inner city, two of my colleagues had their purses taken from them in the parking lot when they arrived at school in the morning. Both were tough women who were kicking and screaming at the man who was taking it. The police came to talk to us at a staff meeting and made this suggestion. Another way that it makes me safe is that I never set it down where someone else can grab it or where I might forget it.

4. When I go to bed at night, I take my purse, car keys, cell phone and other valuables to my bedroom with me. IF something should happen in the middle of the night (and it has to me), I have all my most important valuables with me.

5. I keep a couple rolls of quarters in my car. I keep other various change in my car, in a small divided tackle box so that I can quickly make change if I need to. I haven't seen a pay phone in a few years, but quarters were quite useful in the past for things like toll booths, etc. I was in college and drove someone's car to the airport to pick them up an went through a toll booth, with no money. (I was a poor college kid) They let me through, but that business of having change has stuck with me.

6. I keep a light on 24/7 in my living room. This way, no one ever really knows if I am home, or if I am up or gone or asleep. Once in a while, I leave another random light, such as my kitchen light on when I am leaving, on purpose. Sometimes, I turn a radio on when I know I am not going to be home for a while. I used to use timers for some of these things, but haven't in a while.

7. I don't answer my front door if someone knocks, especially if I am not expecting someone. I also have a note on the door that tells that if I wasn't expecting you, I won't be answering the door. It stops a couple people who would like to stop in randomly. I like company, but I have had a couple people who liked to stop regularly at times when it was not convenient for me.

8. I keep an overnight bag packed with socks, underwear, toiletries, pajamas and a spare set of clothing or two and a few other things, such as jerky, nuts and dried fruit. If I ever had to evacuate, I wouldn't forget something. This is different than a BOB.

9. I keep a spare set of car and house keys in my purse. I also keep my keys on a carabiner. I can clip it onto the ring on my purse where the strap and the main body meet. I have done this for so long that I have worn out a carabiner and had to replace it. I rarely have to look for my keys when I am getting ready to go somewhere.

All great things to do, we're also doing most of them, but I hound on having water, food and blankets anytime we go for a drive and as well wear proper clothing and shoes as you never know if you may have to deal with bad weather and breakdowns. Oh yeah and always have vehicle fueled over half a tank, we always refuel at a station that is just over 11 miles from our home, thing is what if we had to leave at an hour that most stations are not open? In the winter months I always try to keep a set of tire chains and gloves in the vehicle even if there is no snow locally, you never know where you may have to go.

I always get my keys out before I go out the door to my car, especially while shopping.
Generally I don't go out alone after dark. This month, a man who was carrying a concealed weapon while on a WM parking lot, was robbed as a gun was being pointed at his head. Perpetrators were caught after a high speed chase, but it was less than a mile from where I live.
Make eye contact, walk purposefully, purse over the opposite shoulder of the hip I'm carrying it on.
Don't wear earbuds if you're out jogging. You will not hear the approach from behind or the side. Be aware of someone who may be approaching you and turn to them so your eyes are on them,jogging backwards. I saw a good video of what good form is while jogging or walking on a more secluded path.
Do you know self-defense? All of my men do, but it's not going to do me any good if I am alone. Do I? Probably not enough. Really proud of one of my daughters. I am pretty sure she could defend herself. She nailed me hard and fast when we arm wrestled and actually strained my arm. She has participated in jiu jitsu.
Even if you are carrying a weapon, are you going to be able to access it quickly enough?
Let someone know where you're going and when you're coming back. There is just too much going on to be careless about staying in touch.
If you have a BOB, do you also have an evac plan with your family on where you will meet if not together at the time the evac is issued?

I always get out my keys and keep them in my hands. And if van or dark tinted auto is next to mine I keep my eyes on it and quickly get into my auto. I do need to build up BOB again though.
I stay aware of my environment when out and look all around me and move at a fast pace.

Good personal and physical security always revolve around the same concepts. One of which is to make your home and yourself uninviting to criminals (they prefer easy targets). That is accomplished by combining situational awareness, the ability (+ willingness) to respond to any threat and good operational security. At the same time it's amazing how many people go through the work of having good personal and physical security only to throw it all away by posting something on social media or saying something like "We're going on vacation for 2 weeks" at the local diner in earshot of others. Loose lips really do sink ships, if you know what I mean.

I tell people if you want good operational security, you have to think it, do it, breath it, practice it, adapt it and live it.

I always get my keys out before I go out the door to my car, especially while shopping.
Generally I don't go out alone after dark. This month, a man who was carrying a concealed weapon while on a WM parking lot, was robbed as a gun was being pointed at his head. Perpetrators were caught after a high speed chase, but it was less than a mile from where I live.
Make eye contact, walk purposefully, purse over the opposite shoulder of the hip I'm carrying it on.
Don't wear earbuds if you're out jogging. You will not hear the approach from behind or the side. Be aware of someone who may be approaching you and turn to them so your eyes are on them,jogging backwards. I saw a good video of what good form is while jogging or walking on a more secluded path.
Do you know self-defense? All of my men do, but it's not going to do me any good if I am alone. Do I? Probably not enough. Really proud of one of my daughters. I am pretty sure she could defend herself. She nailed me hard and fast when we arm wrestled and actually strained my arm. She has participated in jiu jitsu.
Even if you are carrying a weapon, are you going to be able to access it quickly enough?
Let someone know where you're going and when you're coming back. There is just too much going on to be careless about staying in touch.
If you have a BOB, do you also have an evac plan with your family on where you will meet if not together at the time the evac is issued?
Great ideas, Patchouli!

Ear buds: I have them, but never wear them out of the house for safety reasons. I want to stay alert.

Cell phone: I also don't take my cell phone out and talk or look at it when I am walking, unless I get a call, which is very rare. Again, I want to be aware of what is going on around me. I was walking once and a couple of people were coming towards me from an area where I know homeless people camp out. I saw the woman reach up and grab a hooded sweatshirt that a workman had hung over a fence while he was working close by. When they got up to me, they asked if I had a cell phone they could borrow. I didn't have mine with me, which I think was a mistake and told them I didn't have one. (I would not have let them borrow it anyway) Then I mentioned that I saw her take that sweatshirt. He told me he had her put it back because he saw workmen close by.

Being out alone after dark: that is something that I try, but am not 100% about. There is less ability to see and know what is going on after dark. Also, Charlie Pride had a song, The Snakes Crawl at Night. Yes, I agree with that.

I also like to make eye contact and speak to everyone. It tells them I have seen them. I get a fairly good sense about some people when I do. Some people don't respond, and that is fine. Were they raised not to speak to strangers?

Anyone here had self-defense training? I have not but I was shown a couple of moves by various people. I've heard NRA offers self-defense classes and I just checked the map but none are being offered near me at this time.
My grandfather always said walk softly and carry a big stick. lol

No but wish I had of taken one . If I could swing my pocket book hard enough though that would knock em out unless they have a gun. Still won't let them take me anywhere, so they will just kill me on the spot.

Good personal and physical security always revolve around the same concepts. One of which is to make your home and yourself uninviting to criminals (they prefer easy targets). That is accomplished by combining situational awareness, the ability (+ willingness) to respond to any threat and good operational security. At the same time it's amazing how many people go through the work of having good personal and physical security only to throw it all away by posting something on social media or saying something like "We're going on vacation for 2 weeks" at the local diner in earshot of others. Loose lips really do sink ships, if you know what I mean.

I tell people if you want good operational security, you have to think it, do it, breath it, practice it, adapt it and live it.
One of my h.s. classmates died suddenly last fall. Her son brought home the basket of envelopes from the service and left it in his car. His car just happened to get broken into that evening and all the cards, which they knew had some cash in, were stolen. Funerals are a fairly common time when people get robbed.

Last edited:
Adding to the list:

Motion activated lights front and back
Motion detect video front and back (a delightful chime when motion is detected)
IR announcers (driveway alarms) front and back
CO alarms on all floors
Smoke detectors on all floors and in bedrooms
Fire extinguishers on every floor, and in every vehicle
Emergency bag in every car, and at home
First aid kit in every car, and at home
Trauma kit in every car, and at home (https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/)

We do many things even though we live well out in the country. I never leave the house without being armed. Even when I am working around the place here I am always armed and of course when ever I leave the place.
You cannot be too careful. Even though we have never experienced any problems in the past, it only takes once, hence our constant precautions.

Sentry18, do you have any links to recommend, or care to offer any other safety tips and habits?

That's no small task. MPDC (Metro Police) has some good info on their website.

I have found that one of the best ways to determine what you should and should not do is to talk to criminals. Not too long ago a study was done by interviewing prison inmates on what they were looking for in victims and what they did not like, here is a brief run down from memory:

- Burglars and Robbers always want the big three; jewelry/coin, cash & guns. Anything that advertised you might have those things made you a target. Like an NRA sticker on your truck or a "we don't dial 911" sign on your door. Some would even hang out at business or ATM's and then follow people home or hit them in the parking lots.

- Burglars tend to hit during the day and not at night. The prime time is 7-9am and 3-4pm. Because most people are at work, the gym, taking kids to school, picking kids up, etc. They also do not "case" out houses like TV would have you believe. Many of them would put on a hard hat, orange vest, grab a clip board and knock on your door. No one answer? Break in. Someone answers, tell them you are with the phone co. and then walk away.

- Robbers & Rapists prefer the dark and they also prefer their victims to be alone. Alone in route from one place to another or alone at home/work. They also tended to hang out somewhere and just watch and wait for the right victim. The right victim is usually a distracted person with poor situational awareness. Like people who seem fragile, stare at their phones, seem lost or confused, don't look around, etc.

- Burglars/Home invaders don't mind security cameras or cheap security systems. Both are easy to defeat, aren't really monitored, aren't always even on or won't matter anyway because they will be long gone before anyone sees the video.

- Burglars usually just break a window. People put tons of security on the doors and then nothing on their windows. Most burglar can find a way in your house very quickly.

- Burglars are not that scared of dogs. Even big mean dogs. Most dogs are easy to trick or just lock in a room. People put way too much faith in their dogs, which are far less aggressive when they are not home than when they are home. (We go to burglaries ALL the time when Doberman's or German Shepherds are found running around outside or are locked in a bathroom.) That does not mean dogs are bad to have, because they are not. Just don't consider them to the end all be all.

- Burglars DO NOT like houses that seem occupied, have multiple cars out front, had TV and/or music playing, that have good quality monitored security systems, that have obviously well thought out physical security, that seem to have redundant security measures, that have busy neighborhoods and nosy neighbors, that seem to have multiple residents (more than just a couple), that had limited environmental options for concealment and were in close proximity to places that are very active.

Like I said this is a huge subject, but that's some basic stuff. Like the Mike Tyson quote "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", good personal safety & security is having a plan, a back up plan, a tertiary plan and the ability to follow through with all of them. If you have not experience or training in physical combat, I recommend you get some. If you are comfortable with firearms, get more comfortable (and more training / practice). Consider alternatives like pepper spray, stun guns, tasers, batons, etc. And again, get some training. But remember to find a quality instructor and not a keyboard commando posing as an expert.

- Many of them would put on a hard hat, orange vest, grab a clip board and knock on your door. No one answer? Break in. Someone answers, tell them you are with the phone co. and then walk away.

There have been reports of this very behavior in my area. They tend to work in a small team, to make it look authentic. I have heard of several reports of such behavior, but the orange vest is the tell-tale sign!

One day I was out walking a couple dogs. A couple of vehicles kept circling the block. Not much else going on, with slow moving dog, so I noticed them. They stood out to me because one was a former police car, one of those Ford sedans, with the spot lights by the front door. The car had been repainted black. The other vehicle was a black pickup truck.

Then I saw a Fed-Ex truck and knew what was up. They were following the Fed-Ex truck to pick up packages it had just delivered. I had a dog leash in each hand, so I couldn't take a photo, but I did stop and look right at them, and they knew I was looking at them. One of the dogs is an English Bulldog and would probably walk around a block in an hour, if he wanted to. No chance of me following those two vehicles, watching, getting their license plate information, and calling it in.

A few minutes later, I saw a neighbor, a man I know from the area because of his two dogs, and told him what I had just seen. He told me he had a guy come to his door recently, asking him if he would like to do a survey. The guy didn't even have a clipboard, but had a can of Glade air freshener in his hand. He told the neighbor he could have the air freshener for taking the survey. The neighbor happens to have a dog who is not the nicest. He told the guy that he was busy, since he works from home. The man left. Neighbor watched him get in an old black van, and neighbor took license tag info.

I have trained myself to look ahead, to the sides and behind to look for deviant behavior - behavior that doesn't fit the locale or mood of a place. I have gone through a few defensive firearms courses and have carried daily for 47 years. Meet others with solid eye contact and a smile and "hi" to help disarm them. While looking around I notice spots that can hide people either for cover or to stay wide of. I have learned to trust that voice inside and if I feel uneasy about a person or people approaching I will cross the road with the intent to see what their reaction is and to give me time to act. When I go into a store or a restaurant I check out the exit and entrance lines and any cover along or adjacent to them. I sit where I can see as much as possible with my back to a solid wall. I check out the people near me to see if they might be a threat or a help in an emergency. Don't be aware out of fear - be proactive in your awareness. Think about which direction can get you to safety or buy you some time. Think about all the different choices you have at any given moment.
I rarely lock the doors to my home but I keep the garage and shop locked - even when I am in the shop working. I always have a gun and sometimes more than one. an acquaintance once asked me what I was afraid of... I asked if he wore a seat belt. When he said of course I asked if he was afraid of getting in an accident. Seat belts, parachutes and guns have one thing in common, if you need it there is no time to get it.

I like to change my schedule up. Just in case someone is watching the house. I try not to be a creature of habit. Like leaving and coming home at the same time, or turning off lights and going to bed at the same time.
I've had many years of judo and some ninjitsu. But this old lady would rather use a 45. I am careful to bring my purse and cell phone in our bedroom at night, too. We had a creeper last weekend come to the door asking to do yardwork. We was not dressed for, or looked like he ever did yardwork. Then he said he was in a dilemma cuz his buddy dropped him off. I told him to leave NOW. Broad daylight, husband was already armed and coming towards the door. I checked outside a few minutes later and didn't see anyone walking at all. We worry about home invasions. There are so many of my grown kids around, though, that it's rare that someone is not home.

This is a little different, but it helps me to be safe when I am traveling. If I buy a new car and it has one of those donut spare tires, I immediately replace it with a full sized tire. When I roadtrip, I drive over roads where there can be many more than the 50 miles between places, and many small towns wouldn't even be able to help repair a tire.

Mental awareness, determination and knowing your abilities or lack of abilities. Know who, what and where the people are around you. Martial Arts training is mostly for show and tournament sparring (NOTE: I did not use the term fighting, because it is not real). I speak from many years of practicing, teaching and participating in tournaments. You don't need years of training, you just need to learn CDK (Cripple, Disable and Killing) techniques. Find an instructor that will teach you real life defense, not the namby pamby crap. There is no such thing as a fair fight, there are only survivors. A knife is better than empty hands. A firearm is better than a knife. Avoiding contact is better than fighting your way through it. Stay vigilante at all time, there is no free lunch and there are no safe spaces. I carry even in my home, bed time is the only time I do not have a firearm on my person, then it is on the nightstand next to me. Doors locked, windows and sliding glass doors bolted. Look and act like the sheepdog, not like a victim. Being hearing impaired, I am constantly making eye contact and always aware of what and who may be approaching or is around me. I can't depend on hearing somebody approaching, so I keep my head up and on a swivel. You need to do the same.

I like the idea of self defense. Years ago, our Sensei of martial arts also taught us self defense. Since it's been awhile, it may be a good idea to sign up for a refresher. While looking online, I was able to find a free class. Maybe others have free classes in their areas too... http://hendersonvillemartialarts.co...-Women-s-Self-Defense-Seminar-on-January-26th

As for the little valuables I may have, I would keep them in a safely deposit box at a bank.

When I travel, my behavior is what is acceptable in the crowd that I'm in, so to not bring attention to myself. If I'm going to an event, I dress plain for the occasion, but still nice, nothing flashy and absolutely no name brand logos, so I don't make myself a target. I also wear low or no heels just in case I have to leave in a hurry.

When I travel, my behavior is what is acceptable in the crowd that I'm in, so to not bring attention to myself. If I'm going to an event, I dress plain for the occasion, but still nice, nothing flashy and absolutely no name brand logos, so I don't make myself a target. I also wear low or no heels just in case I have to leave in a hurry.

I don't think heels are at all safe. I wear flats as well when I dress up. They are safer, even if you are not in a tough situation. I also always have a pair of walking shoes in my car.

Dressing plain, but nice is also a safe way to be, IMHO. I recently saw a video about how teenagers or young adults can be robbed for their high end shoes, which evidently is a thing in the inner city, and them being advised to invest their money elsewhere.

I was driving with someone and there was lots of traffic that was going above the speed limit. I was told it is safer to go with the flow. One car that tries to do the speed limit while most are doing 5 miles above it creates a safety issue. Go with the flow.

Part of getting dressed is putting on the gun. When a stranger comes to the door I'm already armed. I try to take a defensive firearms course every year. NRA courses are good but so are many non NRA classes. A local range may offer excellent courses or be able to direct you to an instructor.

Mental awareness, determination and knowing your abilities or lack of abilities. Know who, what and where the people are around you. Martial Arts training is mostly for show and tournament sparring (NOTE: I did not use the term fighting, because it is not real). I speak from many years of practicing, teaching and participating in tournaments. You don't need years of training, you just need to learn CDK (Cripple, Disable and Killing) techniques.

This made me chuckle because we once had a recruit officer who was an accomplished practitioner of Tae Kwon Do. When he was at the police academy and we got to the portion of training that deals with empty hand combat he was touting his expected excellence based on his vast training and experience in TKD. He got his butt handed to him by our instructor, who himself is accomplished in Krav Maga. The recruit seemed utterly lost as to why his fighting style was not effective on the anything goes mat. Of course the instructor was not following any tournament rules and he was certainly not "playing fair". There are not a lot of jump spin kicks in police work or street fights.

BTW he was only an LEO for about 5 years. He now runs one of the TKD studios in town and still promotes it as a serious self defense fighting style.

This made me chuckle because we once had a recruit officer who was an accomplished practitioner of Tae Kwon Do. When he was at the police academy and we got to the portion of training that deals with empty hand combat he was touting his expected excellence based on his vast training and experience in TKD. He got his butt handed to him by our instructor, who himself is accomplished in Krav Maga. The recruit seemed utterly lost as to why his fighting style was not effective on the anything goes mat. Of course the instructor was not following any tournament rules and he was certainly not "playing fair". There are not a lot of jump spin kicks in police work or street fights.

BTW he was only an LEO for about 5 years. He now runs one of the TKD studios in town and still promotes it as a serious self defense fighting style.
My take for staying safe in this, don't be arrogant or think you are able to whip anyone and everyone, even if you have a black belt, or a 9 dans.

My take for staying safe in this, don't be arrogant or think you are able to whip anyone and everyone, even if you have a black belt, or a 9 dans.

I know a few guys that I would not mess with unless my very survival depended on it. They are no bark and all bite. One of them is this broad guy with a big gut who looks like he might be able to handle himself or he might die from a heart attack. But if he is close enough to touch you, you don't stand a chance. I was with him once at the gym where they had a grip-strength tester. The trainer said anything over 140lbs was considered to be excellent and the highest he had ever seen was 161lbs. My buddy took the test and got a 179lbs and did not seem to even strain himself to get that. Yet that same guy will walk away from anything that seems like it might become a confrontation.

I know a few guys that I would not mess with unless my very survival depended on it. They are no bark and all bite. One of them is this broad guy with a big gut who looks like he might be able to handle himself or he might die from a heart attack. But if he is close enough to touch you, you don't stand a chance. I was with him once at the gym where they had a grip-strength tester. The trainer said anything over 140lbs was considered to be excellent and the highest he had ever seen was 161lbs. My buddy took the test and got a 179lbs and did not seem to even strain himself to get that. Yet that same guy will walk away from anything that seems like it might become a confrontation.

Your friend knows that he won every confrontation that he avoided. The old rule, don't go to stupid places with stupid people, and do stupid things.

I carry a handgun everywhere I go. I've had people tell me that if they were worried about it that they would take a rifle. My response is that if I were worried that I wouldn't go.

I don't like crowds. They are inherently unsafe, it is a good place to catch the current bug, and my hearing aids pipe 47 conversations into my ears at once.

I used to love to spar the TKD student at tournaments. I knew their style (1) Jump kicks are coming, (2) Spinning jump kicks are coming. (3) What goes up (jump kicker) must come down. (4) Crowd their feet and they are lost (they don't spend enough time working on hand fighting). All the typical martial arts stances are useless against a real good street fighter. I do think that Krav Maga it the closest to street fight training I have seen. In tournaments you don't get to dislocated knees, elbows, jaws, fingers, etc. On the street, all is available and I would use everyone of them to stay safe or protect my family. If I wanted self defense training now, I would look into finding a real good Krav Maga dojo (school). Judo and jujitsu are excellent, they are not violent enough for street self defense, IMHO. The best self defense is situational awareness and don't get boxed into having to demonstrate your street fighting skills.

I try not to do habitual things, I lock the doors cause the cats seem to be able to open them, and are not house trained, backing the vehicle in is a good idea, although both my trucks are driven in, and I am pretty sure the 1/2 ton is blocking the Dually, Although My Peterbilt is pointing out, by the time it builds up air the emergency may be over. You can tell who moved to the country from the city or town, first thing they do is put up big lights to show their location off. I prefer stealth. My 1/2 ton locks the doors for me when ever I put it in gear, which serves to raise my anger, when hooking to a trailer etc. but would be handy if some one decided to open my door,

Latest posts

Back