Best meal you ever had?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I popped a photo of the best fish (halibut) and chips I've ever had in the photo thread. We have great fish and chips here; but even as I type I can taste the deliciousness of that lunch in Hoonah, Alaska.
I'd sell a child to have some right now. (It's ok, they'd understand!)

So what's the best meal you've ever enjoyed?

The pho that my wife makes.....
1657891170540.png

I don't have a picture, but the best meal I ever had was at a "gathering" of catfishermen. Fresh caught and fried catfish, fresh made hushpuppies, somebodies fabulous cole slaw recipe and "Nana's" banana pudding.

Best meal is tough, I've had many good ones. But there was a restaurant that years ago had a seasonal side dish of butternut squash risotto. It was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten and I will remember it for the rest of my life. lol

I can’t say what the best meal was, haven’t had it yet I guess, but the best drink was an iced coffee unexpectedly handed to me by a gentleman at the end of a long workday, when we stopped for a break to admire the sunset on the lake. Random act of kindness, not forgotten.

A bacon sandwich after I finished S.E.R.E. school, Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape.
It was a week long with no food other than 1 meal of C rations.
All we talked about was food and what we were going to have when it was over.
I popped a photo of the best fish (halibut) and chips I've ever had in the photo thread. We have great fish and chips here; but even as I type I can taste the deliciousness of that lunch in Hoonah, Alaska.
I'd sell a child to have some right now. (It's ok, they'd understand!)

So what's the best meal you've ever enjoyed?
There is a food truck that comes to town occasionally called Captain's Cod.
https://captainscodcompany.com/
They have great fish and chips and their clam chowder is the best I have ever had and I've had clam chowder all over the U.S.A. including homemade by a lobsterman's wife in Maine.

I can't say just one, because I have a few. This is a memorable one that I haven't had in many decades.

One of my most memorable meals was my favorite grandmother's roast beef, from beef that they grew on their ranch. She browned it well and that gave it flavor. People think that more expensive cuts taste better. It depends. I have found that cheaper cuts, such as chuck roasts, can have more fat, marbled in the meat, which gives it flavor. A cut such as round steak, has little fat through out and doesn't have as much flavor and is not as tender.

Grandma made wonderful gravy from the pan drippings of that well browned beef. I think gravy is a food group for Czechs. Then she would make mashed potatoes, that were still memorable. Serve those potatoes with that brown gravy and omg, that could be a meal. Grandfather would have seconds of gravy over bread. That is a Czech thing as well, but often as bread dumplings.

Latest posts

Back