Best Vpn

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
To get this started. What is the best VPN for hiding your ISP. Would free be ok or is a paid service much better? Which free services are good. Which paid services are good. Also if I missed a question please ask it. Someone here I'm sure will have an answer. Thanks guys.
Flight

Glad you asked this because I thought about it yesterday and then forgot.

My current and preferred VPN is Private Internet Access (PIA). I have been with them for many years and they seem to get the job done. I have attempted to back track my ISP a couple time and even had Pess try and the isp address stopped at them. That being said, I do not know if they are the best or the cheapest and they are not free but they are reasonable in MHO.

I use FrootVPN and VPN Ulimited. FrootVPN has dozens and dozens of servers all of the world. I can switch and swap as I see fit. VPN Unlimited allows me to use a VPN on more devices. I like them both and pricing is very reasonable. Which VPN is "best" seems to vary greatly from reviewer to reviewer and user to user, depends on what features and functions mean the most to them. FrootVPN does not always get the greatest reviews, but I have been with them for a long time and never had a problem.

I signed up for VPN Unlimited when Sentry18 posted a link to it.
At the time it was unlimited for life for $45.
That was a great deal.
The question was whose life, mine or theirs.:)
Sort of like my Dad asked when he bought his coffin.
So far I like it.
It allows 10 devices on one account.
Doesn't slow down my connection so I'm happy.
There is one forum I cannot log into while connected through it and my credit union always makes me verify who I am but that's no big issue.

I signed up for VPN Unlimited when Sentry18 posted a link to it.
At the time it was unlimited for life for $45.
That was a great deal.
The question was whose life, mine or theirs.:)
Sort of like my Dad asked when he bought his coffin.
So far I like it.
It allows 10 devices on one account.
Doesn't slow down my connection so I'm happy.
There is one forum I cannot log into while connected through it and my credit union always makes me verify who I am but that's no big issue.
What is the web site for the computer illiterate.

I have not found a VPN that Netflix or / and prime will accept. I can log in but the movies do not play. I also have to disable private / incognito browsing functions for Netflix. So if any of the
VPN do work on these site, please let me know.

I have not found a VPN that Netflix or / and prime will accept. I can log in but the movies do not play. I also have to disable private / incognito browsing functions for Netflix. So if any of the
VPN do work on these site, please let me know.
Netflix (reportedly) has an automated process than black-lists known VPN IP's. There's a lot of speculation on the why's and how's, but none of that really matters since there's no way to circumvent it long-term.
You might be able to make your own VPN using a rented Amazon server, but it would probably be cost prohibitive for streaming, and lacks any anonymity you may get by sharing an IP with a bunch of other people.

I have a fancy router with custom software setup to funnel everything through my VPN at the router level (instead of on each device). I had to make an exception for my Roku's so that I can still stream content.

The shared IP thing is the most popular consensus for how Netflix and Hulu are so effective at flagging VPN's. It's basically an AI that decides for itself if an IP should be blocked. Not as scary as it sounds, just a cleverly programmed algorithm.
I've also read about public lists of IP's registered to the VPN companies being added to the black-list. This has potential to effect private IP's and proxies.
A big question I've seen thrown out there is if the black-lists have an expiration date, to avoid a regular customers being block for getting an IP formerly used by a VPN or proxy.

Something else to consider is that while a VPN service may have the technology for your needs, keep in mind that the VPN provider has all that data youre trying to hide. Many keep logs of your use of their service, and it's been rumored (but I haven't been able to verify) that some keep copies of the data flow itself. Some important questions to ask yourself:

Do they have policies to protect your data (e.g., do they abstain from logging data, do they refuse to share account info like name, billing, etc.)?

Do they have the spine to protect your data from those seeking to obtain your data.

Do they either A) have the resources to fight in court against those that want your data; or B) are willing to destroy your data.

If you can't answer "yes" to all 3, you might want to consider another VPN service.

Something else to consider is that while a VPN service may have the technology for your needs, keep in mind that the VPN provider has all that data youre trying to hide. Many keep logs of your use of their service, and it's been rumored (but I haven't been able to verify) that some keep copies of the data flow itself. Some important questions to ask yourself:

Do they have policies to protect your data (e.g., do they abstain from logging data, do they refuse to share account info like name, billing, etc.)?

Do they have the spine to protect your data from those seeking to obtain your data.

Do they either A) have the resources to fight in court against those that want your data; or B) are willing to destroy your data.

If you can't answer "yes" to all 3, you might want to consider another VPN service.

I think you mean if the answer is "yes" you want that VPN service. I know I do.
thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back