Building the last house I will build (PROJECT)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I was closer Gumpy. I built my house when I retired to Mo. Then added on. built the barn also. I built Habit for Humanity houses for 12 years here. Retired now from all side work so me and the wife can go camping and trips to shooting matches.

I'm really enjoying this. Even with the pain! I can only work for about 4 hours a day before I'm forced to stop. Lol, that's why I asked the bank for 9 months to complete the build. What's really cool is that by building it myself, I'll have over $90k equity in it when done!

Im like you, work for a while and take lots of breaks. Im in no hurry. I enjoy projects around the place but do it at my own pace. I took all day yesterday to chunk up and split about a 1/3 cord of wood. Some days I work all day, some not, and some I dont even get to doing anything ... :D Today is lookin like a NOTHING day. Raining, chilly and Im tired from yesterday.

You will enjoy your new place more having done it yourself. Keep the pics of progress coming.

Taking a break. Been busy!
I can offer only a small bit of advice...
Electrical outlets: at least 2 feet above the floor and avoid the temptation of putting the outlets in the middle of a wall.
Every house that I have seen has these 2 mistakes.
Furniture always goes against the middle of a wall leaving every outlet out of reach:bang Head:.
Older folks having to grovel on the floor to plug something into an outlet 8" above the floor is complete lunacy.
If the wiring comes from above, down to the outlet, you actually will use much less wire putting them 3' up.
Yeah, it won't be as 'pretty'...
but 'some old guy' will actually be able to plug & unplug things without ending up at the doctor:D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad idea's. I've always put them 12" to the top, but as stiff as I am, waist high doesn't sound bad!:Thankyou:
As for placement, if I don't have to follow a print, about the 3rd stud (48") from the corners. Recepticals are like storage space, you never have enough!

Not much to report on this week. Rained for the last three days. Still under a flood warning.

Capture+_2017-12-27-16-00-32.png
Not much to report on this week. Rained for the last three days. Still under a flood warning.
After 6" of rain in 3 days, it now won't get above freezing long enough to lay any blocks!
:bang Head:

After 6" of rain in 3 days, it now won't get above freezing long enough to lay any blocks!
:bang Head:
Guess you guys will just have to settle for plenty of 'snuggle-time' in the trailer.
nod.gif

High-five.gif

(Or maybe play Yahtzee)

Got a dog Thursday PM. Had to dogproof the yard. Buried electrical lines and pick up Everything I didn't want chewed up!
20171229_143911_HDR.jpg

Loving this thread Gumpy!! Gonna be doing this after I’m done roaming the country!! Still have to find ‘where’ to build as well.

Loving this thread Gumpy!! Gonna be doing this after I’m done roaming the country!! Still have to find ‘where’ to build as well.
That's the important decision!

I wish it would get above freezing! Can't lay blocks when the mortar will freeze!

You need a smudge pot and build some tarp walls to keep working.

I have a few like this one, 7 gallons of diesel will burn for 24 hours and you can mix in waste oil.
100_1498.jpg

Our farmers here in Eastern Washington use the hell out of those smudge pots!!

Latest posts

Back