Building the last house I will build (PROJECT)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is the last house I will build, start to finish.
Any suggestions on the way is appreciated. It's small,1000 sq', but all my wife and I need.

Got any plans you can post ? Glo and I need a 1000 + - sq ranch.

0711170942.jpg
0925171050a.jpg
1004171143.jpg
1027170937a.jpg
1028170925.jpg
20171126_153021.jpg
20171126_152930.jpg
20171126_152916.jpg
The story so far. Finally completed well, septic tank, power, and moved our fifth wheel on site. Foundation to be dug in the morning!
0711170942.jpg
0925171050a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes, keep us posted.

Capture+_2017-11-28-20-00-00.png

Got any plans you can post ? Glo and I need a 1000 + - sq ranch.
I drew the plans up myself. Designed to be as efficient as I could make a 2 BR bath and a half house. I'll try to take some pics of them.

1120171358.jpg
1120171359.jpg
I haven't posted in a while, but I've been busy. Between working on this house and keeping up with the Darkside of the forum I've barely had time to sleep! To get up to date, all utilities are in, foundation is dug and blocks are ordered. Oh yeah, bought a 8x10 metal shed from Lowe's and put it up, and gathered up my tools and put them in order.
Ready to Rock an Roll!!!

1120171359.jpg
1120171359.jpg

Are you going to have someone lay the block or are you doing it yourself? I feel for you if you're doing it yourself. Hubs and I did it ourselves 20 years ago and felt every bit of it.

And no project is complete without Quality Assurance!
20171202_101323.jpg
20171202_101349.jpg

Are you going to have someone lay the block or are you doing it yourself? I feel for you if you're doing it yourself. Hubs and I did it ourselves 20 years ago and felt every bit of it.
The only thing that I'm going to sub out is putting on the Metal roof. I'll probably hire someone to help me set the trusses also. All else is mine!

I just don't know what to say other than you're one tough guy.

With winter just around the corner you could have an even rougher time building a house now. If you can get it dried in before it gets real cold and snowing then you got it licked. Building yourself and no mortgage makes it worth it.
Are you building on a slab or pier and beam frame house? Neighbor just built a cement block house with just a slanted roof.

With winter just around the corner you could have an even rougher time building a house now. If you can get it dried in before it gets real cold and snowing then you got it licked. Building yourself and no mortgage makes it worth it.
Are you building on a slab or pier and beam frame house? Neighbor just built a cement block house with just a slanted roof.
Block and pier. It'll be 5 runs high on the front with 3 on the back. Framing, exterior, interior walls and ceilings will all be rough sawn lumber straight from the mill. Mostly Pine and Poplar.

It's been to muddy to bring materials in, I need some blocks, mortar, reinforcement wire, etc. next. Maybe by Friday it will be dry enough. We are supposed to get snow here Friday and Saturday! 80° last week, snow this week. What a mess. It's Flumonia weather again!
Kept tracking mud in the camper so I made some temporary sidewalks and wheelbarrowed in some rock so we could park her car up closer.

20171206_142454.jpg
20171206_142431.jpg

Got a little more done today. Cleaned out the footing, laid it out, and got the blocks and mortar delivered.

20171211_160317.jpg
20171211_103318.jpg

I like what you have done and envy you for what you are doing. Building my own place and slowing down was my goal when I moved to idaho but instead I bought a nice house and several rentals. I didn't have it in me yet to slow down. Hopefully in the future I can do what you are doing. I would love to hive you a hand and learn a thing or two if you were closer. Until then I will keep watching from the sidelines.

I like what you have done and envy you for what you are doing. Building my own place and slowing down was my goal when I moved to idaho but instead I bought a nice house and several rentals. I didn't have it in me yet to slow down. Hopefully in the future I can do what you are doing. I would love to hive you a hand and learn a thing or two if you were closer. Until then I will keep watching from the sidelines.
I'm trying my best not to slow down, but time in the saddle is wearing me down. I've worked all my life. Oldest of 7 kids and raised on a farm gets you started early!

I'm trying my best not to slow down, but time in the saddle is wearing me down. I've worked all my life. Oldest of 7 kids and raised on a farm gets you started early!
I'm the youngest of three and grew up dirt floor poor so I got a young start as well.

I'm the youngest of three and grew up dirt floor poor so I got a young start as well.

The good thing is that I've never regretted the way I was raised.

I'm raising my kids on what will hopefully someday be a small farm. I look back on my upbringing and it made me who I am today so I will not complain about it at all. My mom raised me more of a man than most father's do today.

I've only got 6 acres where I'm building at. All except1/2 acre or so for the house is all in woods.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post it.

Capture+_2017-12-11-21-03-52.png
Maybe you can make it out. It runs along the bottom of a big hill and has5 corners. Long skinny 6 acres with deer, turkey, and small game is thick!

Hahahaaahahaha! I'm very tired. I forgot to post the picture!

That's awesome. I bought an acre in the mountains. I have about 15 acres where I live but it is highway frontage

20171214_145532.jpg
Started laying blocks yesterday. The house is being built on a huge rock! In places the backhoe could only go a couple inches deep. I'm not pouring a footing. Just cleaning out to solid rock and start from there.
No picture of today's progress. This is yesterday's. I was to tired to go back out and take a pic.

I notice you conveniently left out the hole dug under the house for the massive bunker system :rolleyes:

Taking a break. Been busy!
20171216_093359_Burst01.jpg

Latest posts

Back