Buying GOLD or SILVER, do you buy locally or have it Shipped.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
How do they ship? And any recuring issues with purchasing long distance.....?
Have this thread be about all things concerning the purchase of PM.

How do they ship? And any recuring issues with purchasing long distance.....?
Have this thread be about all things concerning the purchase of PM.
The Princess oders it on line and it ships USPS insured tracked and signature required. If am not here when the mail is delivered, I get a notice telling me to pick it up at the post office.

Many places offer storage service dor those that don't want to store it home.

Ben

We briefly looked into gem stones. Chocolate diamonds. They shipped via a courier. We checked with a local diamond expert and he recommended silver so we haven't tried out the diamonds yet.

Ben

Avoid paper trails, avoid credit/debit cards.
Glint

Is a way of converting dollars to gold or silver. They store it for you and and can use the Glint card to make purchases using the gold or silver in your account like a debit card.

Ben

We briefly looked into gem stones. Chocolate diamonds.
I used to buy/sell ROLEX Watches. I still get the e-mails from the dealers/traders. The last one I sold (30 years ago) for $8,200.00 and I recently seen that same model sell for $88,000.00

Glint

Is a way of converting dollars to gold or silver. They store it for you and and can use the Glint card to make purchases using the gold or silver in your account like a debit card.

Ben
Still leaves a trail bro.

I've purchased from Buy Gold & Silver Bullion Online | Free Shipping - JM Bullion, Buy Silver & Gold Online - Coins & Bullion - Provident Metals and Precious Metals Dealer | Buy Gold and Silver and the process has been painless. They have a lot to answer for, so they ensure you get what you ordered - which usually means requiring a signature. I've never had any problems with any of these.

Local coin shops are another matter. They seem to work hard to screw the local buyer and they turn their back on folks who know spot prices. I've still managed to purchase bullion and junk silver from LCS's but that's becoming more difficult.

I used to buy/sell ROLEX Watches. I still get the e-mails from the dealers/traders. The last one I sold (30 years ago) for $8,200.00 and I recently seen that same model sell for $88,000.00
Yup.

The people we talked to also did Rolex watches and fine art.

Ben

Most Rolex watches contain no precious metals and are worth only what people are willing to pay for the name. There are plenty of other watches that are comparable in performance that cost a whole lot less. I collect mechanical watches. No way would I pay for a Rolex right now. Watches are NOT a good investment vehicle!

Still leaves a trail bro.
If someone else it golding my gold, I want a paper trail. It also avoids the issue of verifying the gold is real both when purchasing and selling.

Ben

I've purchased from Buy Gold & Silver Bullion Online | Free Shipping - JM Bullion, Buy Silver & Gold Online - Coins & Bullion - Provident Metals and Precious Metals Dealer | Buy Gold and Silver and the process has been painless. They have a lot to answer for, so they ensure you get what you ordered - which usually means requiring a signature. I've never had any problems with any of these.

Local coin shops are another matter. They seem to work hard to screw the local buyer and they turn their back on folks who know spot prices. I've still managed to purchase bullion and junk silver from LCS's but that's becoming more difficult.
JM charges sales tax in NY. SD doesn’t. JM suggested shipping to a state like Florida or Maine which doesn’t get taxed, but I wanted to keep it simple.
SD’s delivery was via FedEx. The bricks were tossed at the side of the road and house is a couple of hundred feet back. I spoke to the driver, and he has been good since.
No signatures, app. 15-20k. Thankfully, no issues.

I have issues with people holding my stuff too. Might be just fine, but not for me.

There's yer problem.

Depends.

Different tools for different jobs.

Glint is gold that be used to buy stuff and avoid using dollars or central bank digital currency.

Sprott lets one convert deflating dollars in a retirement account to gold.

Physical gold in a safe can ve used post TEOTWAWKI or passed on to the granddaughters.

Ben

JM charges sales tax in NY. SD doesn’t. JM suggested shipping to a state like Florida or Maine which doesn’t get taxed, but I wanted to keep it simple.
SD’s delivery was via FedEx. The bricks were tossed at the side of the road and house is a couple of hundred feet back. I spoke to the driver, and he has been good since.
No signatures, app. 15-20k. Thankfully, no issues.
Sorry, what's "SD"?

I have never bought gold or silver on line. There is one dealer I go to who is not far from my house.

Local coin shops are another matter. They seem to work hard to screw the local buyer and they turn their back on folks who know spot prices.
Yea, I've checked local places and they want too much over spot for me to even consider buying from them. Another kicker is when you go to sell, they buy at $2-2.50 UNDER spot.

Depends.

Different tools for different jobs.

Glint is gold that be used to buy stuff and avoid using dollars or central bank digital currency.

Sprott lets one convert deflating dollars in a retirement account to gold.

Physical gold in a safe can ve used post TEOTWAWKI or passed on to the granddaughters.

Ben
This is correct.

In precious metals forums, they say, "If you don't hold it, you don't own it." Which is true, in my opinion, regarding physical precious metals.

But digital/virtual precious metals have a place.

I have both physical and virtual metals. Others hold my virtual metals (e.g., Fidelity holds my SPROTT PHYS gold & PSLV silver investments). I hold the physical, though.

I have many other means of storing wealth as well, including mere cash. I hold physical cash, and my bank holds virtual cash. Different tools for different jobs.

• Love
Reactions: Neb
I have used JM Bullion, Provident Metals, and APMEX. No problems with any of them regarding ordering and receiving goods in unmarked packages.

They are a bit more expensive than buying at the local coin shop ("LCS"), though. I happen to be lucky in that I have a very good LCS within my city. So, my usual mode is to withdraw cash after every pay check, and when I have enough cash stacked, I go to the LCS, and swap my dollar wealth for gold wealth, with a fee for the proprietor, of course, for providing that service.

Usually that fee is 3-5% for me because of what I buy (American Gold Eagles or Krugerrands with 1ozt. gold, and Sovereigns with .2354 ozt.). Lately I stay away from high premium stuff like silver, which usually has a premium of 10-22%. You just need to save longer (in cash form) and make bigger purchases if you want the lower premiums.

Having said that, I started out buying silver. It's the gateway metal. And, I'm glad I have it. But, I mostly paid those high premiums because I couldn't help myself...I couldn't hold onto the cash long enough to buy gold. Now, I am more disciplined, and I hold longer and buy bigger. Took me years to get to this point. So, I still have a lot of silver. But, once you reach a certain point, silver is just too heavy for storing wealth.

I would never try to avoid government control or the central banks, but if I did I would buy local at the place that displays the spot price live all day everyday.
My LCS publishes their prices on their website. All their non-collectible, bullion based products are tied directly to spot, and their prices change by the minute. So, I might see a price, leave to drive there, and the price might be slightly different when I arrive, but that is because the global spot price changed while I drove, not because they are playing games. It is nice to deal with a straightforward business like that. I know how much money they are making with every purchase I make.

Latest posts

Back