Buying GOLD or SILVER, do you buy locally or have it Shipped.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note: I would be careful using one of the companies that advertises often on TV. Their premiums are usually quite high.

Having said that, in the lead up to Y2K, I had made a casual comment about getting some gold, and then forgot about it. My wife saw a commercial, and bought some. I'm guessing she paid a 20% premium, but then, gold was $300-something an ounce at the time, so I am very glad she did that. :cool:

On the local coin shops it is my understanding that the difference in what they pay vs what price they sell is how they make a profit. They may buy at $25 per ounce and sell at $22 sometimes. However it averages out in their favor. I look at it like paying more at the local hardware store compared to going to Home Depot.

Yard sales and flea markets are great places to get stuff as well. any dated silverware is likely 80% and can be had for a song normally, the plated stuff as well for antique investing.

You know guys, I believed for years they were keeping tabs on people who bought guns with plastic, who's to say they're not keeping tabs on those who buy food, PMs, ammo and the like? would you put it past them?

Just say no to credit cards and cell phones. vaccines too come to think of it!

Latest posts

Back