Can Openers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldSchool

Camper
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I figure of all the simplest things that can fail when needed is the can opener, and I've found for stress testing them - open a few cans of Bush's baked beans and Bruce's yams because they are of the heaviest steel food cans.

Over time the only ones I've had that held up reliably are the old military style P-51's. I spent time researching for the best quality and bought a few from US Shelby Co. They work fine but not the easiest to use, so looking for suggestions from personal experience about what brands and styles hold up reliably and are easy to use.

ive gone thru some different style of can openers and alwasys liked the old fashioned ones with thick turn handle. but as ive gotten older and arthritis in my hands i haZve had to try different things. i dont care much for the electric can opener that sits on kitchen counter but found one that runs on barreries, you set it on top of the can and it cuts its way around the top. thats been working real well for me.

1712699671361.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/NEONSA-Electric-Operated-Arthritis-Automatic/dp/B0CSXRGTM4/ref=sr_1_20?crid=3D91AWUP85PFO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Czqy7i_Vaal4ru5qiHCi8pJRTKJGqBKCdJaxj6xQ_R5PAQvx3zVtEQFE-SLNRGHquoGpmwVSftHKyP4b2ZOsBAxFS3FPyOxGSN4HUK-Qa55nXSJhQAJbPWAXxOfIpCCcKTgfJAu0G5jSHnSDQfUGQpl5K06q-

Last edited:
I only like the ones that don’t leave sharp edges.
Not sure if serious, but I know they make them. I've had some of this style without a sharp edge or sharp cutting wheel. It simply clamps down on the lid and pushes it down to break the lid loose. I like the simplicity, versatility and light weight but never had one that lasted for long. They'd get bent of shape and the drive wheel would start slipping.

This one has a sharp edge and an aggressive drive wheel. I'd give it try, but it looks like the metal isn't thick enough.

Attachments

• 1712721405049.png
    1712721405049.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Buying can openers on the net can be a crap shoot. I got a couple that lasted 6 months. The local store was no better. Went through several in a couple years.

Don’t remember who posted this link, Sentry I think. I got a couple products, excellent quality. Been using the ez-duz can opener for several years now. Not every day but once, twice a week, still cuts like new.

They have some serious can openers on this page… even have p-38's.

https://www.allamericanmade.com/made-in-usa-can-openers/

This one has a sharp edge and an aggressive drive wheel. I'd give it try, but it looks like the metal isn't thick enough.

I have never seen that style of can opener fail. Probably because all of mine date back to the 50's and 60's, when things were made to last. Everyone should have a few of this type stashed away in a drawer.

That being said, I only use mine when my more convenient electric can opener (that un-crimps the top of the can rather than cutting it) goes on the fritz. Every few months that electric might fail to uncrimp a lid on the first try. Wiping the metal components down with a wet paper towel or a Q-Tip has always brought it back up to snuff (so far, at least).

I figure of all the simplest things that can fail when needed is the can opener, and I've found for stress testing them - open a few cans of Bush's baked beans and Bruce's yams because they are of the heaviest steel food cans.

Over time the only ones I've had that held up reliably are the old military style P-51's. I spent time researching for the best quality and bought a few from US Shelby Co. They work fine but not the easiest to use, so looking for suggestions from personal experience about what brands and styles hold up reliably and are easy to use.
I have a few from Dads time in Korea.still working fine it just takes practice.

Not sure if serious, but I know they make them. I've had some of this style without a sharp edge or sharp cutting wheel. It simply clamps down on the lid and pushes it down to break the lid loose. I like the simplicity, versatility and light weight but never had one that lasted for long. They'd get bent of shape and the drive wheel would start slipping.

Those are better to store in your canned goods area or canned goods bug out boxes. They dont get lost as easy but till slim. The military can opener are tiny and get lost in the storage easy

That's the kind of can opener I grew up with (late 60s-80s). Mom gave me one when I left home. I don't remember ever having any issues with it.

But then it got lost during a move and I had to replace it. Tried buying several like it, none of them lasting worth a darn, couldn't get through thick cans, etc. Can't help but think they aren't made the same as they used to be.

I agree with @Peanut - buying can openers online is a crapshoot. I was able to get that Made In USA can opener at a Gordon's Food Service (GFS). Seemed expensive for a can opener, but it's heavier and stronger than all the other can openers I was buying, and it's lasted. They also have (I think it's the same company) a version with a longer handle, which is really nice.

I also have a bunch of P-38s from US Shelby Co, and I'm glad to have them for an emergency. But they'll only be used in an emergency...

IMHO, the best can opener ever made is the Swing-Away opener made in the USA. They don't make them any more, but you can find some vintage ones on Ebay. And, I believe there are some new Chinese knockoffs, too....that are not as good. However, there is a seller that sells rebuilt kits for the blades and gears that fit the vintage openers.
1712763376664.png

Last edited:
I only like the ones that don’t leave sharp edges.
I fell in love with our Hamilton Beach can opener that cuts around the outside of the lid😍.
It is so cool, if you don't use all of the contents of the can, you simply put the lid back on and stick it in the fridge:thumbs:.
It's over 10 years old, and the ones sold today are identical to it. $32 :
hamilton-beach-smooth-touch-electric-can-opener-d-2024041011194481~22871178w.jpg
...Proof of a perfect design:).
And no fighting with razor-sharp pop-top cans either...
hamilton-beach-smooth-touch-electric-can-opener-d-20240410111942763~22871178w_alt2.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is hand cranked. I don’t want another thing sitting on my kitchen counter. But, yes, that is the only style of can opener I’ll use. Years ago, my aunt cut her finger severely in a sharp edge. And even if cans have that pull tab, I still open it with the side opening can opener because I’m afraid my dogs may get hold of an empty can and lick it and cut their tongues.

This replaced the 30 year old swing aways in the kitchen drawer, the old ones went into the tub with the freeze dried food.

https://madeinamericastore.com/ez-duz-it-can-opener-red-handle/

I put a military opener under each plastic lid also, some are P-38, others are P-51.
I may have to look into getting one of those if my original Swing Away wears out. I found them on Amazon at a decent price which includes shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-Deluxe-Opener-Black-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ

I fell in love with our Hamilton Beach can opener that cuts around the outside of the lid😍.
It is so cool, if you don't use all of the contents of the can, you simply put the lid back on and stick it in the fridge:thumbs:.
It's over 10 years old, and the ones sold today are identical to it. $32 :
hamilton-beach-smooth-touch-electric-can-opener-d-2024041011194481~22871178w.jpg
...Proof of a perfect design:).
And no fighting with razor-sharp pop-top cans either...
hamilton-beach-smooth-touch-electric-can-opener-d-20240410111942763~22871178w_alt2.jpg
I liked ours, Lori didn't. Nough said.

I liked ours, Lori didn't. Nough said.
I wonder why not?
Did she miss the juice that always jumped on top of the lid when you punched the wheel of the old one down?
Or as you cranked it around, the lid always dived down into the slime?
Or was it after you cranked the wheel all the way around, there was always that one last little strip that you couldn't cut?
...Meaning you had to grab the razor-sharp lid that was now slimey on both sides with your fingers and work it back and forth, risking cutting yourself, to get that last little strip of metal to break?
Sometimes it is ok to just let go of outdated technology.:(

I wonder why not?
Did she miss the juice that always jumped on top of the lid when you punched the wheel of the old one down?
Or as you cranked it around, the lid always dived down into the slime?
Or was it after you cranked the wheel all the way around, there was always that one last little strip that you couldn't cut?
...Meaning you had to grab the razor-sharp lid that was now slimey on both sides with your fingers and work it back and forth, risking cutting yourself, to get that last little strip of metal to break?
Sometimes it is ok to just let go of outdated technology.:(
There is a trick to that last little bit of lid, a couple of backward cranks, then go forward. Give it a try.

Latest posts

Back