Can You be HONEST, at least to yourself only.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EMT-B for 3 yrs (and have stayed Current with protocols / .edu / gear / meds and techniques) Medics should be 'high-value' (in theory)

Construction / Remo (Kitchens / Baths) for ~ 3 yrs (Pro), maintained current knowledge-base & skills thru Homeownership, etc, so.. Can help 'reconstruct', including basic stick / Mig / Tig Welding, if / when Tools are found or fabbed.

'MacGuyver University' Graduate (with Honors) ;) majoring in Scratchbuilding / Repurposing / Reusing materials to fix / fab 'Solutions', including troubleshooting and repairing Basic Electrical / Electronics.

Decently skilled at Hunting, and Well-skilled at Fishing (trapping-techniques, also, if fly-rods / gear are unobtanium) Decent 'shot' ~ 800 out to 1K yards (still in 'training') and Excellent shot within 5-600 yds. Decent Archer / Crossbow shot, as well. Proficient at general firearms maintenance / cleaning. Made BP as a kid / Still know how. :cool:

Sooooo, maybe think twice before pulling that trigger. :)

jd

Last edited:
But I still say water needs to be the first real worry.
The first real worry and core concern is some of the group must survive. In our current delusional reality, it is paramount that every living human be kept alive.

In the conditions of this thread, the most "Valuable" persons are those who can produce large quantiles of food reliably daily. My guess is ability to produce fish, and/or maybe game or some abundant wild grain.

Most of our skills only have value if there is abundant free food and water, ect..

Some skill sets go beyond day to day production. If you have a doctor in your group he/she won't get booted because their skills aren't needed that day or month.
That right there is near 100% accepted by members of internet forums. I say the doctor works their ass off, when not doing actual emergency medical stuff.

That is just one of many "Common Prepper accepted" thinking that is in my opinion flawed.

Everyone thinks they have valuable skills. Yet, how often do we see companies' laying-off 22,000 or 30,000 employees.

The first real worry and core concern is some of the group must survive. In our current delusional reality, it is paramount that every living human be kept alive.

In the conditions of this thread, the most "Valuable" persons are those who can produce large quantiles of food reliably daily. My guess is ability to produce fish, and/or maybe game or some abundant wild grain.
A monkey could be taught to plant, weed, water, trap, fish and hunt. Only a few can make the things that improve living circumstances. Only a few can "see" the bigger picture IE: sometimes loosing a battle is a must to win the war!

This discussion reminds me of a personal favorite topic. That is the FACT the more technology advances the less durable things are. Take houses for example in early times people often lived in stone, earth, caves or logs all of which lasted the test of time. Look at the toothpick and plastic buildings being built now. Things use to be built to last now they are built to be cheap.

A monkey could be taught to plant, weed, water, trap, fish and hunt. Only a few can make the things that improve living circumstances. Only a few can "see" the bigger picture IE: sometimes loosing a battle is a must to win the war!

This discussion reminds me of a personal favorite topic. That is the FACT the more technology advances the less durable things are. Take houses for example in early times people often lived in stone, earth, caves or logs all of which lasted the test of time. Look at the toothpick and plastic buildings being built now. Things use to be built to last now they are built to be cheap.
Just thought I should have added said monkey while able to handle the mundane labor aspects would not be able to diagnose problems in the garden or why the game has moved or shifted patterns. I'm sure you all know what I'm trying to get across.

That really depends on the group. If you have a group of 200 and half of you are farmers, great. If half of you are doctors or blacksmiths, not so great. I have medical skills that would be valuable to a group. I'd love to partner up with two couples I've known since I was in school. Both have been EMT's. One wife is an RN and the other a paramedic, both have skills with herbs. We've been friends for so long that many of our skills are duplicated. If they showed up at my door with only the clothes on their back, I'd take them in. They have one thing that I value above all else, reliability. I trust them to fight, should that become necessary.

I have many skills that the younger generation could benefit from. Would they perceive it that way? Does someone who thinks playing computer games is a superpower, have the sense to know what is good for them.

So I am not sure how others would determine my value. I can do some of the things mentioned: forage, some herbal meds, building, working with critters, grow food, sew, and know how to run a shovel and pick though I’ll deny it if you ask. The thing is if you are a jerk even if you can dig a ditch, you will most likely “get ditched.” Some people are not worth the headache. Also it was mentioned above but almost in passing. Children are a burden until they are of a useful working size. (Don’t get me wrong. I love kids.). Example look at those abandoned in Africa.
One skill I have is I can usually communicate well without getting riled up. I can explain things understandably “well, honey, if you don’t help make food, you don’t get to eat the food.” So I wouldn’t call it managing people, but at least not ticking them off and being able to function in diverse circumstances.

So I am not sure how others would determine my value. I can do some of the things mentioned: forage, some herbal meds, building, working with critters, grow food, sew, and know how to run a shovel and pick though I’ll deny it if you ask. The thing is if you are a jerk even if you can dig a ditch, you will most likely “get ditched.” Some people are not worth the headache. Also it was mentioned above but almost in passing. Children are a burden until they are of a useful working size. (Don’t get me wrong. I love kids.). Example look at those abandoned in Africa.
One skill I have is I can usually communicate well without getting riled up. I can explain things understandably “well, honey, if you don’t help make food, you don’t get to eat the food.” So I wouldn’t call it managing people, but at least not ticking them off and being able to function in diverse circumstances.
It all depends on the community. In a community of 1, it's YOU. In a real "community", it depends. We must evaluate "OUR" community, not the one others have.

A group of 200? Pearl and I are definitely going walk about. I admit right up front that I shouldn't be there.
Can I be the awkward third party? That’s too many. In reality anything over twenty would be a challenge for me.

I often fight strong against threads where people claim that groups of people is the best way to go for survival. And that the lone person attempting to survive alone, will meet near instant death.

I have many skills. Some would have value to a tiny group not to exceed six (including me) total humans. But would not appeal to any group of ten or larger. I would be quickly culled.

We have enjoyed the gift of living in a very brief period of time in history when we have accepted the illusion as real. When (not if) fundamental reality returns, will be the massive SHTF for mankind. Enjoy the illusion.

Just you standing there, what exactly do you offer a group post SHTF.....???
My skill would be imparting wisdom and experience on the group. By telling them that their rigor in weeding out people they feel are useless will probably backfire on them. There is no way to know today what you might need tomorrow. Or any way to predict what a smart person could do with their "useless" skills of today to turn them into sorely needed new skills for tomorrow. By limiting their membership to only today-thinking people, they probably won't make it to tomorrow.

Then I'd walk out of the interview. I have no need for a group like that. They're doomed IMHO. I'll come back later and try to scavenge their stuff after the group has collapsed if I'm still alive at that time.

If we started with 250 humans, with-in a few days it would be clear 75 need to be gone, they are skilled at eating and bitching. Surely ten days after that clearly another 40 or 50 need to be gone. Everyone must produce abundance, to compensate for others. It is not "personal".........Would be surprised if after 50 or 60 days the was not culled to around 60 humans.
I don't see 250 naked people getting a group together. Nobody has any tools? I've got a gun, a leatherman, a knife, and two flashlights, at least, on me and I'm sitting in my recliner. To show up without tools I'd have to be naked.

First, I would be slipping out the back while they where fighting over who should lead.

Second.....for the sake of argument, If I had a shovel handle in my hand, I could kill 99% of randomly selected people with it before they knew what was happening, which would make voting me off the island rather difficult.

I have too many skills to list....but that would be the only one I could immediately prove to a group.

So 250? Me and the one or two other guy's with my skillset take out as many challengers as it takes, establish a chain of command, and if culling is needed, we are the ones doing it.

But really.....I'd never be part of a group if I thought culling was on the table. Even in the real world, every job where firings or lay offs where looming, I quit right away. Only ship I will go down with, is my own.

Which is why I suspect a group that kept doing cullings, would not last long anyway. Maybe if the first few culls are really unpopular, like heads of the local HOA level unpopular, it would be okay....but after that, EVERYONE would see the writing on the wall and the group would have so many people leaving by decision, they would never have to cull again. More likely would be trying to force people to stay.

And of course, the situation is unrealistic. People would have stuff. Give everyone a gun and I no longer have an overwhelming marital advantage. Nobody would....so no leader....group fragments rapidly. Same result. Same solution. Sneak out the back.

A more interesting question is....

What skill do you have, that would allow you to keep people IN your group?

In that light, I would say that there is a skill I could prove with no tools.

Planning. I can make a good plan that anyone worth keeping in the group, would go along with, or help improve, and conversely I can recognize a good plan. If another 'alpha' in the group puts out a good plan, better than mine, I know when to throw in with him, become his lieutenant rather than just argue with him for the sake of ego.

Last edited:
I'm very cool in a crisis, (always time to fall apart later!) can think outside the box and am well organised.
I've got practical skills to run campsite/ homestead, and can make food go a long way, so I guess I'll just be working away while someone else is out hunting (though my aim isn't bad). My downside probably would be bodily strength. I could use very little and make a comfortable life. I feel this is important; no point in surviving if you are living rough for a long period, eventually the bones will feel it - any fool can be cold and miserable. I'd rather not be reliant on a huge group, though it occurs to me in this life, in a way we already are.
Husband and I have had this conversation - I can survive well on little food, but he may be more useful and stronger, but would eat more!

Nobody will outwork me- my physical fitness/health and work ethic is of the highest order...

Also I have some advanced wilderness survival skills and a macgyver complex. I have most basic trade skills.

I do have some tactical training- and am a good communicator/teacher- and am basically immune to stress.

I don't follow orders blindly though, and I don't tolerate bullies.

EVERYBODY IS REPLACEABLE!
Sourdough said: Everyone thinks they have valuable skills. Yet, how often do we see companies' laying-off 22,000 or 30,000 employees.

I think that companies are often run by elite executives who have a bean counter mentality who often do not think strategically. They lay-off people to create an illusion of profitability while eliminating the very skills that they will need to be competitive in the long run. Usually, shortly after the corporate heads do their blood letting they jump ship to another company to build their career on their ability to make a profit in hard times.

I think in hard times, the ones who can identify the few diamonds in the sea of coal and gather them into a working unit while leaving the coal behind will survive.

Everyone thinks they have valuable skills. Yet, how often do we see companies' laying-off 22,000 or 30,000 employees.

People don' get laid off because they don't have skills. They get laid off because of MONEY. If they didn't have skills they wouldn't have been hired in the first place. The people at the top who caused the company to be unprofitable will fire people so they can keep lining their pockets at the expense of others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back