Cannin Cake

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCootHillbilly

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This en seemed perty popular, so here it be again.

I've wanted ta try this fer a spell. Last night I gave it a whirl.

Now fer the disclaimer. Nobody get out the tar an feathers, the shotgun already be loaded. This is not "recomended" by the USDA er other food police. Then again, like many other thins don't mean it can't be done.

First off, ya gotta make sure everthin is clean an sterile, EVERTHIN!

I put 6 pint jars in an boiled em 20 minutes. Sterlize yer rings an lids.

Then take out a jar an poor it half full a cake mix. Do all the others.

Now inta a 350° oven fer 35 minutes.

Mine raised above the tops a the jars, but did not get on the rims.

After makin sure they was done in the middle I set them aside an got the lids ready ta put on. In only a few moments the cake settled below the tops a the jars.

I put the lids an rings on an let em sit. Sure nough the lids pinged.

Now the recipe:

1 cake mix a yer choice. I did chocolate
4 eggs
1 cup water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can frostin (I used chocolate)

Mix the cake mix well, add in the frostin.

Ready ta go in the jars.

Here be what they look like:
DSC00989_zps9fe29fb7.jpg

Only 4 left, hey we had ta sample!

I got these 4 labeled. Gonna check one at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months an 9 months.

I've read where they be good fer 2 ta 3 weeks an upta 2 years. I don't know so be why were testin it out.

The Disclaimer again!
No goobernut agency "recommends this" so yer on yer own ifin ya wanna try it.

I thin this be handy fer a weekend campin trip er what not.

I'm beginning to believe that about store bought sandwich bread. I need to just stop buying it.

My sister bought some name brand sandwich bread. The one that starts with Pep, has a ridge in the middle and ends with a farm... she stuck it in a bread box we never use and when she came back 2 months later it was still soft and mold free. I TOLD her that bread was chocked full of chemicals but she didn't believe me until then. She just kept making fun of me for wasting time making my own. Now she knows.

I'm beginning to believe that about store bought sandwich bread. I need to just stop buying it.

Buy bread from places like King Arthur Flour, at least it doesn't leave that after taste in your mouth after baking or pancakes. We ordered 25lb.s of it in 5 lb. bags. We still eat and buy store bought bread but not as much.

I've been wanting to try out canning cakes for years now after reading it was possible. Just haven't yet. Guess I feel like I have other things that have to be canned. Besides cake doesn't last around our house, but then again, maybe this would be away to not overindulge and eat it in just a few days time. :)

OCH, Are you/Did you water bath or pressure can them?
Ya put the mix in a mason jar an inta the oven. Then pull em out an the cake generally drops below the rim then ya put the lid on quick. It will ping from the heat a the cake.

Latest posts

Back