Cast Iron Cooking And Collecting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Cooking is one of my hobbies, It's something everyone has to do why not have fun with it. Cast iron cookware is everywhere you look and easy to cook on and care for. Share with me your recipes and tell us what pans you use and what pans you are looking for if any. Ill start with a cast iron open fire bread bowl and slow cooked deer stew. These photos actually one an online cooking contest. Prize was a $500 fire pit.

stew1.jpg
stew2.jpg
stew3.jpg
stew4.jpg
stew5.jpg

A chicken dish I make: a few strips of bacon on the bottom. Add 3 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup rice, and some floured boneless chicken thighs. Add a can of Rotel. Coals on top and on bottom about 35-45 min.
I do bread rolls alot using my standard old bread recipe..any will do. I Crisco the bottom and sides of the dutch oven, make the bread dough, divide it into 12ths, roll into balls, and arrange in the oven. Put the lid on and let rise an hour. Then cook about 20 to 25 min. Pizza done similar, but with toppings on, too.
Potatoes....few strips of bacon on the bottom. Sliced potatoes, butter, garlic salt, dried onion, a little broth so it doesn't get dry. Sometimes I sprinkle cheese on top.

A chicken dish I make: a few strips of bacon on the bottom. Add 3 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup rice, and some floured boneless chicken thighs. Add a can of Rotel. Coals on top and on bottom about 35-45 min.
I do bread rolls alot using my standard old bread recipe..any will do. I Crisco the bottom and sides of the dutch oven, make the bread dough, divide it into 12ths, roll into balls, and arrange in the oven. Put the lid on and let rise an hour. Then cook about 20 to 25 min. Pizza done similar, but with toppings on, too.
Potatoes....few strips of bacon on the bottom. Sliced potatoes, butter, garlic salt, dried onion, a little broth so it doesn't get dry. Sometimes I sprinkle cheese on top.

That sounds fantastic!

I love cast iron, my wife hates it.

Yep. Same here. What she hates about it is the just wiping it clean idea. She says it's gross. And she won't allow me to use it on the glass top stove. If I want to use cast I have to go to the basement and use the propane stove I have down there. I also have a propane stove at camp. That's where I keep most of my cast.

So I have a question for all you cast lovers. Have you ever had one crack while you were using it?

I had a 14" Wagner that was seasoned to perfection. Nothing would stick to it. A couple years ago I had a half dozen overnight guests at my annual music party which I host at camp. I was making a one skillet breakfast in my nice Wagner pan. It starts with fried potatoes in a little olive oil. When the potatoes are close to being done I add in sliced up smoked, link sausage. It takes 5-7 minutes for that to heat up then I pour in a dozen scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar cheese. I'm constantly stirring the egg/cheese mixture to make sure it's cooked uniformly. A couple minutes into the process there is this loud "CRACK". It sounded almost like a .22 going off in the house and I have bits of egg on my shirt. I had no idea what caused it until I looked closely. I discovered that the pan had split from the center out to the edge. I was heartbroken. My favorite Skillet was scrap metal. :(

Anyone else ever experience this?

I have and use a lot of cast iron and never cracked one. There had to be a flaw in the casting to do that.

been coking all my life with cast iron and I HAVE OVER 50 PIECES OF IT AND 4 LARGE SKILLETS ONE FOR BEEF,ONE FOR PORK,ONE FOR CHICKEN AND ONE FOR FISH--damn caps--have a medium pan for wild game too.lve cooking with it and unlike the other cookware on the market the bottom of cast iron won't bulge out or bulge in on cast iron it stays flat

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I just I'm further in the sticks than I thought :Thankyou:
I only found out about them because I had insomnia and had youtube set on auto play. Some times it gets stuck on one topic and sometimes it jumps all over the place. You just never know what you'll learn.

Years ago I stopped by my Aunt and Uncles place and he had hung cast iron pans all over his barn.
On the outside, unprotected.
Not sure how many he had but there were a lot of different types.
I asked why and he said just decorations because they had all the cast iron they needed in the kitchen.
I didn't have time to look at them but it still hurt.
Maybe I'll see if he still has some of them.
They had to move into town due to poor health.
My mom bought a chicken fryer, with lid at a garage sale for 25 cents.
It was really in poor condition.
Dad threw it on the brush pile and burnt it.
It cleaned up and we still use it but it has red blotches all over from the excess heat.

I love cast iron and my favorite part is cleaning it out without having to scrub it in the yucky dishwater! I have quite a few pieces and use them constantly. Here is a picture of my Zucchini Lasagna made over the open fire in our back yard. The less mess in the kitchen, the better for me.

covered-1024x683.jpg

Latest posts

Back