Cast Iron Cooking And Collecting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Same here. What she hates about it is the just wiping it clean idea. She says it's gross. And she won't allow me to use it on the glass top stove. If I want to use cast I have to go to the basement and use the propane stove I have down there. I also have a propane stove at camp. That's where I keep most of my cast.

So I have a question for all you cast lovers. Have you ever had one crack while you were using it?

I had a 14" Wagner that was seasoned to perfection. Nothing would stick to it. A couple years ago I had a half dozen overnight guests at my annual music party which I host at camp. I was making a one skillet breakfast in my nice Wagner pan. It starts with fried potatoes in a little olive oil. When the potatoes are close to being done I add in sliced up smoked, link sausage. It takes 5-7 minutes for that to heat up then I pour in a dozen scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar cheese. I'm constantly stirring the egg/cheese mixture to make sure it's cooked uniformly. A couple minutes into the process there is this loud "CRACK". It sounded almost like a .22 going off in the house and I have bits of egg on my shirt. I had no idea what caused it until I looked closely. I discovered that the pan had split from the center out to the edge. I was heartbroken. My favorite Skillet was scrap metal. :(

Anyone else ever experience this?

A friend of mine was a guard at the State jail. One of the inmates came up behind him and hit him on the head with a cast iron skillet knocking the bottom out of the skillet. I will forever remember his telling of the story, "When I turned around and saw the hole in the skillet I knew I was hurt." That's the only cast iron I know to have broken. It was on display at the police academy for years and may still be.

Cast iron New Year lunch. The black eyed peas, sausages and mustard greens were cooked on the wood stove and served with corn sticks and fried potatoes.

ny1.jpg

ny2.jpg

ny3.jpg

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

Talk about a fantastic, delicious recipe...this one is a blue ribbon winner. Our new preacher's wife, Jana, brought this pie to third Sunday dinner. What caught my eye was the presentation, a big black iron skillet. So many of us love cast iron to cook in, and I have several pieces. She graciously shared the recipe with me. You will not be disappointed in this pie.......

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

7 apples (Granny Smith if possible)
1 cup Sugar (less if the apples are not tart)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Line skillet with pie crust (or use a Pillsbury Refrigerated Crust)
Add filling and top with second crust. Seal the edges together.
Bake until almost brown, and then add the topping for the last
ten minutes.

Topping

Mix together and sprinkle on top....

1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup of pecan pieces
1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream

I always bake my pies at 350 degrees. This recipe did not have
a temperature, but I am sure this will bake perfect at this one.
I smile when I think of how all us ladies looked when we saw
this beautiful pie in the cast iron skillet....reminded me of
my Grandma, that was all she cooked with..

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

Talk about a fantastic, delicious recipe...this one is a blue ribbon winner. Our new preacher's wife, Jana, brought this pie to third Sunday dinner. What caught my eye was the presentation, a big black iron skillet. So many of us love cast iron to cook in, and I have several pieces. She graciously shared the recipe with me. You will not be disappointed in this pie.......

Iron Skillet Apple Pie

7 apples (Granny Smith if possible)
1 cup Sugar (less if the apples are not tart)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Line skillet with pie crust (or use a Pillsbury Refrigerated Crust)
Add filling and top with second crust. Seal the edges together.
Bake until almost brown, and then add the topping for the last
ten minutes.

Topping

Mix together and sprinkle on top....

1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup of pecan pieces
1 Tablespoon Heavy Cream

I always bake my pies at 350 degrees. This recipe did not have
a temperature, but I am sure this will bake perfect at this one.
I smile when I think of how all us ladies looked when we saw
this beautiful pie in the cast iron skillet....reminded me of
my Grandma, that was all she cooked with..

That sounds like a great pie!

The DW and I find a lot of good quality CI at the estate and yard sales, The newer Chinese cast iron does have more of a chance of cracking and like in the Cast iron vid here they have a rougher surface. I work in automotive now and all the brake rotors are HECHO EN CHINA..I have to inspect every new rotor pair before installation because of large casting and machining differences, the grainular structure is much larger.

Hash browns from scratch! The cast iron fry pan browns them up like nothing else.....
Pare as many potatoes as you want to cook. Chop/shred/whatever you like for hash browns (I like a 1/4 inch dice). When ready to cook, put some fat (I have used oil, bacon fat or lard has higher cooking temperature, so I use them when I can.) Using oil, put enough in so the bottom of the frying pan is covered more than a smear, less than 1/8 inch deep. Heat the pan until a drop of water skitters when you drop it in. Put in the potatoes and spread into an even layer. Turn down the heat to medium (or medium low) and let those potatoes cook about 20 minutes while you putter around. Turn the potatoes with a metal spatula (the plastic ones won't work to get the 'crispies' up at all), and brown the other side about 15 minutes. Yes, it takes a little time, but you are working from raw potatoes, and they take longer. You can make these with pre-cooked, cold potatoes, and they will cook faster. Cast iron does the absolute best browning on something like this, and properly seasoned there is no sticking at all.

IMO The best Presses are wood. My Godsons Mother is from "The Interior", she has her Mothers Press, passed on to her. It Rocks. Ive seen Metal ones in Stores but they didn't seem Heavy enough.

The aluminum ones they sell around here are flimsy.

stainless steel and cast iron lover here. Nothing makes hash browns from scratch like cast iron! I mean scratch, too...raw potatoes. Takes about the same time as soaking up the dehydrated ones and cooking them, so why not? Especially good cooked in bacon grease. The case iron renders fats like nothing else, too. I save all my cooking fats (different ones have different uses) and use them judiciously. Those I don't cook with are for soap or candles. (I hate wasting resources.)

Latest posts

Back