cheap bast------

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
i was sitting here reminiscing about days gone by while sipping on some special private stock.
and i remembered a story about a Christmas ham.
This was back in the early 80's On a Christmas eve. We were told we had to work till noon in order to get paid for Christmas. At Noon, i walked into the office to sign out and the boss greeted me with a aluminum foil package.
He said merry Christmas and handed it to me. I said thank you and was kind of checking it out for an envelope to be poking out..HMMM NOPE.
OK...I left work and headed home, When I got there I opened the Foil. Inside was
hamham.jpg

Half a ham, Someone had bought a ham and halved it,
OK..I had to check myself. My employer does not OWE me anything but paycheck for hours worked
BUT DAMN MAN, A half a freaking ham? HOW cheap can you BE?
This just simply chapped my arse to no end. after Christmas I went back to work I saw my boss after lunch And he asked me what I had for lunch. i looked him in the eye. Smiled and said half a ham sammich

i was sitting here reminiscing about days gone by while sipping on some special private stock.
and i remembered a story about a Christmas ham.
This was back in the early 80's On a Christmas eve. We were told we had to work till noon in order to get paid for Christmas. At Noon, i walked into the office to sign out and the boss greeted me with a aluminum foil package.
He said merry Christmas and handed it to me. I said thank you and was kind of checking it out for an envelope to be poking out..HMMM NOPE.
OK...I left work and headed home, When I got there I opened the Foil. Inside was
View attachment 49963
Half a ham, Someone had bought a ham and halved it,
OK..I had to check myself. My employer does not OWE me anything but paycheck for hours worked
BUT DAMN MAN, A half a freaking ham? HOW cheap can you BE?
This just simply chapped my arse to no end. after Christmas I went back to work I saw my boss after lunch And he asked me what I had for lunch. i looked him in the eye. Smiled and said half a ham sammich
Didn't they make a movie about you , I think Chevy Chase was in it.

That's a real piece a work

Jim

My SIL was a manager at a grocery store. At Christmas, on year the store gave all the employees an envelope with a letter telling them their Christmas turkey had been donated to a charity in their name. A lot of unhappy people gave the envelopes back and said no thanks.
I know of a cement company that gave all their driver a $15 check for Christmas. All the drivers left the checks on the table and walked out.
Gifts like those are better left not given.

One of my first teaching jobs, we received a jar of honey for Christmas from the boss. She worked the life out of people. Her son-in-law had died accidentally the summer before I started working for her. He was probably around 30, leaving the bosses daughter and a young son. Daughter had worked for her until her husband died. Boss always had issues with covering childcare before and after school and always thought her salaried employees should cover those times and always played the family issues of daughter and deceased son-in-law. She made food for a Christmas party one year. They were ham sandwiches on buns. She bought the smallest buns possible and you probably could have seen through the slice of ham on the bun. I have so many stories of this cheapskate. Necessary items, such as mops, when asked for, "Do you know how much those cost?" That was her standard line when we needed basic necessities. I think she expected her employees to mop the floors on hands and knees.

Teachers don't usually get Christmas gifts from their employers. They might get a plate of cookies or some fudge from a few students. One year, a parent who lived in a million dollar home gave her daughter's teachers (special ed kid, so a few teachers) a Christmas ornament that was cardboard and cheaply decorated. She probably bought a package of a dozen of them for a couple dollars and handed them out. They were tacky!

They might get a plate of cookies or some fudge from a few students. One year, a parent who lived in a million dollar home gave her daughter's teachers (special ed kid, so a few teachers) a Christmas ornament that was cardboard and cheaply decorated. She probably bought a package of a dozen of them for a couple dollars and handed them out. They were tacky!
There is a school district in the Seattle area that is in the wealthiest neighborhood, Microsoft land. The parents started giving presents to the teachers and the district had to put a limit on how much they could give. The parents thought and were probably right that the more the teacher received the better the kid's grades.
Some of the gifts were fully paid for trips to Europe, one teacher had her student loans paid off, new cars were pretty common. I suspect the gifts are still being given it's just kept quiet.
Those kids are probably rioting with ANTIFA now.

There is a school district in the Seattle area that is in the wealthiest neighborhood, Microsoft land. The parents started giving presents to the teachers and the district had to put a limit on how much they could give. The parents thought and were probably right that the more the teacher received the better the kid's grades.
Some of the gifts were fully paid for trips to Europe, one teacher had her student loans paid off, new cars were pretty common. I suspect the gifts are still being given it's just kept quiet.
Those kids are probably rioting with ANTIFA now.
Wow! Isn't that crazy? In actuality, some students are such a pain in the rear, that teachers should be compensated for having them alone. I have worked with teachers who refused certain students because their reputations about their behavior preceded them.

There used to be a thing in Denver Public Schools where each child had a bit of a rating, or score and I have long since forgotten most of it. Special Ed children had the value of two students. English as a second language students had extra points, may 1.5. This was used so that some teachers would not get stacked with all of the challenges, while the principal's favorites got the easier and more gifted students. Even so, there were teachers whose classroom were stacked. The better a teacher was at handling difficult students, the more of them they had placed with them. I'd bet if there was a financial compensation for this, some of the refusing teachers would have sung a different tune.

I do know of a charter school in a higher end area that sells SCRIP. SCRIP is gift cards, and the school gets something like 3% of the sales price. People buy SCRIP cards for groceries, gasoline, Amazon and more. Charter school also has people donate money to their teachers for Christmas and teacher appreciation week, and teachers can select whichever SCRIP cards they want. This school makes some good amount of money from SCRIP. Some teachers receive much more than others, but such is life.

Well....way back when I was young and worked for a small Town, the Town Board (at the Taxpayers expense) gave each employe a $30 Christmas check. Four years later and Christmas was coming I asked the new Board President if they had any plans for bonuses planned for the employees. If the Board didn't then I would out of my own pocket. Board President said they'd do better then the last Board! Employees and spouses were invited to the only resturant in Town along with the Board (and their spouses) for a meal on the Taxpayers. So the employees went from $30 each to $5 and the Board got a free meal.

Latest posts

Back