Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIL planted has 100 tomato vines going, it is gonna be a long canning run this time.

I am sure the fried green Tomatoes and Squash will be making me sick from overeating.

I hope sister in Law is ready to do her sweet pickles again this year, they are the BEST ON EARTH!!!! We usually end up with 5 gallons at the house and when the family gets together the relish from them and the pickles are gone quick.

I have to do some work on the chains and stabilizers on the tractor to get it ready for the mowing season, and the driveline clutch is needing a new disk because of letting the field get head high first cutting last year.

It made rows and I knew I was going to have trouble with it balling up from day one.

So yesterday afternoon I checked on my little garden. It was our first (of many) 90 degree days. The peppers seem to love the sun but the tomato's were a little droopy. I covered them with my sun screen & gave them so extra water. They revived during the night. Oh & the one tomato plant that had started producing now has 9 tomato's with the first two getting fairly large. Maybe if I can keep them alive I'll have a good year.

Since this is just a hobby for me I usually buy plants & pay about $5 for them. (Hey it's fun & I don't expect a return on them). After last years total failure because of the heat I went cheaper this year & bought much smaller plants. I was shocked at how fast they grew. In a little over 2 weeks they were as large as the $5 plants. We have a long growing season here so I'll buy the smaller plants in the future unless I start planting seeds.

Still Damp here after the Rain, May Mow and Weed Eat n Edge 2morrow...!!? Flowers along the Path are so big/tall, they are falling over...!! Maybee the Neighbors will pick some for Mother's Day if They Still 🐝Blooming...!

☃️

👻👻

My tomatoes have blooms.
We shall see.
Where I live we have a long growing season & after the temps hit 65 it rarely gets really cold. So I had mine planted early. I think all of my tomatos have blooms & I'm sure that a few more of them have tomatos, they are just hard to see. I've also got at least 3 peppers & 2 different plants & my cucumber plant has 4 cucumbers, but they are very small.

Maters are coming along!
20240501_095111.jpg

We've been having 80+ weather so the wife turned on the AC.... My OKRA did not like it! I moved it out to the greenhouse (100F+) and it perked up...

I got a small infusion of cash and I went ahead and ordered some more irrigation supplies including a timer/controller, manifolds with 9 automatic valves, and a few other odds and ends. I will have to totally rebuild my system, but I will have 1' supply lines all the way from the pump to the manifolds which should reduce my pressure drop significantly.

We've been having 80+ weather so the wife turned on the AC.... My OKRA did not like it! I moved it out to the greenhouse (100F+) and it perked up...

I got a small infusion of cash and I went ahead and ordered some more irrigation supplies including a timer/controller, manifolds with 9 automatic valves, and a few other odds and ends. I will have to totally rebuild my system, but I will have 1' supply lines all the way from the pump to the manifolds which should reduce my pressure drop significantly.
That should hold up a little better also - sturdier.

its hot and dry here...gardens are going to be a bust....chance of rain this weekend...i planted some items in little garden this afternoon....hopefully we get rain to sprout and grow it....not putting big garden out this year...waste of time and effort...going to pound trail instead...lose more weight if i can.

planted some purple fingerlings i found i had,zucchini,cucumbers and sweet corn. tomatoes and peppers not ready to transplant yet....i will plant watermelon patch tomorrow if i can.

Last night was trash chore night, I threw out all my old lettuce and spinach in the fridge. This morning I harvested way more than I threw out. I got a lot of BIG leaf lettuce (each leaf the size of a dinner plate) and I plan to start using them to make wrapper lunches, with meat and cheese in the middle, low carb thing. I saw 2 new blossoms on my squash, but they are male... I am excited as the baby-choy I planted is coming up quickly (it's the first time I grown them). I still have a critter digging up the garden, am moving up the lethality scale in mitigation strategies.

its hot and dry here...gardens are going to be a bust....chance of rain this weekend...i planted some items in little garden this afternoon....hopefully we get rain to sprout and grow it....not putting big garden out this year...waste of time and effort...going to pound trail instead...lose more weight if i can.

planted some purple fingerlings i found i had,zucchini,cucumbers and sweet corn. tomatoes and peppers not ready to transplant yet....i will plant watermelon patch tomorrow if i can.
I'll gladly send you some rain!!

finished up tonight planting for now..i am a bit sore in my torso from wrestling the tiller around...!

now for rains to get here this weekend...lets hope !

The potatoes I planted over the winter (as they sprouted in the pantry) in a raised bed are now over a foot high and I am seeing lots of small bloom buds on them. The squash plants are putting on more blooms. Discovered a large cat in my garden last night, so I am backing away from lethal methods and turning to more deterrents, I ordered a gross of those spikes to keep birds off stuff. I'm hoping to make the whole place unpleasant.

My irrigation supplies are running later than expected, so today I will map out my upgraded watering system on paper and then I will be ready to assemble it as things arrive.

I want to attach poles to some of my raised beds so I can mount motion activated solar lights, my thinking is that they will allow me to work out there in the early morning and late evening, plus it will tell me when things are moving around out there.

I seeded a 4x4 raised bed with onion seeds to replace the sprouts I lost. I still have about a week of frost theat so I may still get some onions.

Planted out the True Potato Seeds.

20240503_140956_HDR.jpg

Broke the stem of one plant. Bummer. It will be interesting what they produce.

Ben

I seeded a 4x4 raised bed with onion seeds to replace the sprouts I lost. I still have about a week of frost theat so I may still get some onions.

Planted out the True Potato Seeds.

View attachment 129200

Broke the stem of one plant. Bummer. It will be interesting what they produce.

Ben
I put a tarp over the frame over the raised bed to shade the TPS plants from the sun. Rain collected on the tarp. Another broken stem!

These TPS plants are delicate!

Double bummer. Lesson learned.

Ben

My taters are over 2 feet tall now. No blooms yet, but won't be long. Garlic and onions look good, few taters volunteers in the onions.

Attachments

• 20240504_160016.jpg
    20240504_160016.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_160024.jpg
    20240504_160024.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_160031.jpg
    20240504_160031.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_160021.jpg
    20240504_160021.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_160115.jpg
    20240504_160115.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_160115.jpg
    20240504_160115.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Put down some more seeds today- mange tout, sweet pea, white turnip, nasturtiums. Potted up some flower tubs, and topped up the bamboo I separated with fresh compost, spread the rest in some beds for more potatoes next month. Finally managed to root a few more houseplants so potted up them also. It looks like it's about to lash rain, so at least the barrels are being topped up.

Back