CHEESE Long term STORAGE CHEESE.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say about commercial canned cheese. . . maybe. Now If I was wanting to keep long term "fresh" cheese I would go with the hard versions like Grana, Parmesan, Aged Asiago and Locatelli. Will keep for a few years,. These you can just scrape off any mold that forms. To keep longer dip in a black wax. In fact you can dip any cheese in a black wax to store it longer. The light is what changes the flavor so if you can keep it in the dark, the longer it will last. If you find your cheese has a lighter side, becoming "white" especially the ones aged for a short time, just cut that part off because it will taste off. You can even tell with your white cheese when it turns with practice. If you black wax cheddar, gouda, or any other cheese, it will continue to ripen. If you are wanting to do this long term, I would suggest black waxing a mild flavor because all cheeses will ripen over time no matter what you do and also keep it at the coolest temperature as you can without freezing. Freezing will change the tecture if in small blocks. I will say that at work someone put my cheese truck into the freezer for a day but with the larger pieces (5 +lbs) freezing was ok, but it wasn't for a long period of time, probably less than 12 hours. I have dealt with cheese for the last 13 years at work, every day that I go in, just so know my background. I have also spent 1 season making my own. Making my own, I can say I am not so confident and still learning there.

So........I am "now" Thinking get the long storage cheese, put it in a 30 Caliber ammo can and bury it, in the forest.

Then get the Bega. I've got some. It comes in a can already.
True........but if it is not hidden underground refrigerated, it is subject to a wide range of temperatures fluctuations, House fire, forest fire, theft, earthquake, even me eating it, bears getting into the cabin, etc.

99.9 % of preppers, believe their home is the safest place for everything they consider important.

That does not mean that it is the safest.

Good subject and I might try the bega. What is the expected shelf life of the bega? Not exactly what Sourdough is looking to do, but this is powdered cheese with a 10 year shelf life.

Anyone try this?

by the way, here is what Amazon has for bega cheese:

Last edited:
Good subject and I might try the bega. What is the expected shelf life oof the bega? Not exactly what Sourdough is looking to do, but this is powdered cheese with a 10 year shelf life.

Anyone try this?

I have Bega that is ten years old and still going strong.

I saw a post in the last couple of days on here or SB from someone that is eating their Y2K Bega cans now - so that would be >twenty years!

True........but if it is not hidden underground refrigerated, it is subject to a wide range of temperatures fluctuations, House fire, forest fire, theft, earthquake, even me eating it, bears getting into the cabin, etc.

99.9 % of preppers, believe their home is the safest place for everything they consider important.

My ground gets quite damp and ammo cans rust pretty readily once the paint fails.

I would put the Bega cans in mylar with a dessicant bag, heat seal them up and then put that in the ammo can. If the ammo can lets water in, the bag will save the cheese cans from corroding.

I have Bega that is ten years old and still going strong.

I saw a post in the last couple of days on here or SB from someone that is eating their Y2K Bega cans now - so that would be >twenty years!

Thanks. I just ordered one can for about 10 bucks. I want to try it before I spend $211 for 36 cans.

So true, which is why I love your posts about real world results of multiple freeze thaw cycles. My climate is a colder and dryer, but I am guessing that’s not so bad dealing with less moisture. I could be wrong.

Lets try to steer this back to the actual choices of cheese, and away from burial procedures.

Is there a source for the nutritional value of different cheeses, especially percentage of fat and protein.....???

Lets try to steer this back to the actual choices of cheese, and away from burial procedures.

Is there a source for the nutritional value of different cheeses, especially percentage of fat and protein.....???
The manufacturer should have it on their website. I pay attention to the protein content. In general, one can assume that cheese has 6-7 grams of protein per ounce. White cheeses have slightly more than yellow cheeses, in general, but not enough to really make a difference.

As far as canned cheese goes, I was today years old when I learned that you could buy canned cheese, so I know exactly zero about it!

You could put it in your root cellar.

Probably the best way to insure fresh cheese long term is a goat or a cow and making your own cheese. You need to purchase enzymes to make different types. If you are not already doing that, it is not likely to happen. Think of Heidi, living with her grandfather, living on the side of a mountain!

Is there any other domestic animal where you can get milk and make cheese from it?

That is better for you then say, velvetta, which isn't cheese at all in my opinion.

What is that stuff.......I get a small (2 pound) chunk of it once a month, with a "senior food box". It has close to a year best buy date.

We have been aging mild cheddar cheese for many years, if the cheese is vacuum packed it will do well for a number of years in the refrigerator and end up becoming a sharp cheese.

We have been aging mild cheddar cheese for many years, if the cheese is vacuum packed it will do well for a number of years in the refrigerator and end up becoming a sharp cheese.
I have some white hard cheddars that are from 2010, now that is a good sharp cheese :)

Back