Christmas Gift Ideas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What do you want for Christmas?

What I want is not reasonable to ask for as a gift. What I would like a whole house generator and a new wood burning stove. See, not good ideas for Christmas gifts. I am a practical person, nothing fancy for me.

It is the time of year when most retailers are making their best money of the year. There are people who are are making videos about good ideas for gifts.

If you have any gift ideas, please add them here!

I've seen some videos and articles that I will add later.

Maybe change the title to 'Wish List' Weedy! On my wishlist is full solar power, more fencing, a goat and a small windmill, but will settle for my usual- Books and a pair of Boots :)
The only handmade gifts I've done this year are knitted, though I will bake for my neighbours.

What do you want for Christmas?

What I want is not reasonable to ask for as a gift. What I would like a whole house generator and a new wood burning stove. See, not good ideas for Christmas gifts. I am a practical person, nothing fancy for me.

It is the time of year when most retailers are making their best money of the year. There are people who are are making videos about good ideas for gifts.

If you have any gift ideas, please add them here!

I've seen some videos and articles that I will add later.
I am a practical person too. I know what NOT to give: dust collectors! I used to get these from friends and relatives and then you are sort of expected to display them, but really don't want to ( I hate clutter in our house, makes it hard to clean!!)
I never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings but I think I can post there here (?) So any house decorations are a bad idea unless the person specifically asks for something.

Good gifts to me: socks, towels , food items the other person likes and eats, ( I love to get a box of chocolates anytime ), music if you know that person well enough to know what they like and have already, personal items you know that person can use ( like guitar strings for someone that plays, or a box of ammo)
I like kitchen stuff but that again is very specific. I know some women would be sending their husbands in the dog house for that but I don't mind getting things like a new rice cooker or set of knifes.

Maybe change the title to 'Wish List' Weedy! On my wishlist is full solar power, more fencing, a goat and a small windmill, but will settle for my usual- Books and a pair of Boots :)
The only handmade gifts I've done this year are knitted, though I will bake for my neighbours.
I would, but there are a few videos and articles about what to get others for Christmas.

It's a struggle every year to find gifts.
I buy my wife clothes and stuff she puts on her Amazon wish list.
I used to buy her jewelry but she doesn't really need or want any now.
I will NOT buy her kitchen stuff for Christmas.
If she want that I will just buy it.
I bought her a pair of Ugg boots but I already gave them to her.
Good thing I did, they didn't fit and I had to return them.
Amazon has gift ideas but most of the ideas are crap they are trying to unload.

Last edited:
I really don’t want anything anymore, time with family is about it for me.
Me too.
I have everything I want or need now.
For this year, getting my cataracts removed was the greatest gift of all, the gift of sight.:heart:
DW worked 6 times each day for 2 months putting the drops in them before and after the surgery, and I will never be able to thank her enough:huggs:.
Spending time with family & friends and enjoying life, is all I want.:)

I asked husband for a black wool coat. My nicer coat is looking a bit sorry. I have lots of coats I use for choring, and those are all washable.
Other things I want one of these days....ceiling border moulding in the kitchen. New kitchen flooring, and the wood floors downstairs redone. My list is not very exciting, either. Ha.

Y’all know I’m weird right? If you’ve not figured that out already, you might be weirder yet 😉
I like old tools that work and have purpose. That kerosine stove I got a couple months ago is tops! It was made into 1923 so not exactly something you can order from Amazon. A couple years ago I got a yard tool at an estate sale for $2 because I didn’t know what it was. We figured it out and it might be our most used tool. It works great- probably 100 years old also.
So like Sonya said- certain specific items but otherwise, time with family and friends ♥️

Don't keep us in suspense. What was it?
Oops sorry. It’s a weird looking weed plucker. I will try to take a pix during daylight hours sometime. It has a handle (long like broom or rake) and you put a notched out side over the stem near the ground. Step on it so both sides go into the ground and step on the little bar that sticks out then pull it towards the bar and it pulls the weed.
I realize that makes no sense because it is an odd looking thing.

We were discussing this last night at dinner with friends. We are all at the age where we are impossible to shop for. When we want something, we buy it, especially when we are ordering on line. You know you will get exacly what you want. We are way past the point of being surprised on Christmas morning. Anybody else to the point where your significant other brings you something and says "Here. You can wrap this for me for Christmas."

I bought the new golf clubs I wanted. I (had to) get a new computer, to which my wife said "Merry Christmas". I bought a book on line (Christmas from me to me).

I'm wanting a new laptop really bad. No way would my wife buy me one.
So far I have resisted the urge. The one I have works OK.
It has it's quirks like the keyboard will just stop working and I have to shutdown and restart.
My hearing aids are connected to my laptop via Bluetooth and when something else like my phone or ring camera sends me an alert the laptop will do weird stuff. Videos pause and resume automatically a bunch of time till it works it out.

We were discussing this last night at dinner with friends. We are all at the age where we are impossible to shop for. When we want something, we buy it, especially when we are ordering on line. You know you will get exacly what you want. We are way past the point of being surprised on Christmas morning. Anybody else to the point where your significant other brings you something and says "Here. You can wrap this for me for Christmas."

I bought the new golf clubs I wanted. I (had to) get a new computer, to which my wife said "Merry Christmas". I bought a book on line (Christmas from me to me).
I'm the same. I research a given product to find the best for what I need and the best price. Just like I do for anything else the rest of the year. Once I find something I built a cart or wishlist on line and wait for a sale.
The wife always points out stuff she wants too. So I do the same process for her. I do usually try and get her something unexpected. This year I ordered her a Bible study book and a nice set of ear rings to surprise her

If we believe we really need something, we usually buy it right then and there and not wait for someone to gift it to us. So, for us, the most appreciated gifts are consumables, like coffee, tea, wine, chocolates, good bourbon or scotch, fruit basket, cookies, cigars, gift cards, etc. I can assure you, these gifts would not become dust collectors or be re-gifted.

I know someone whose family makes their own carts on Amazon. Each person adds their wishes including size, color and whatever specifications they prefer. It makes it easier to purchase gifts for family, especially children.
We all have wish lists on Amazon.
The problem is my wife wants to buy everything on the grandkids list.

here is my wish list: brand new 2500 truck with 8 ft bed
JD tractor with loader
more solar panels
ammo
a new non stick frying pan
a 20 year old body
enough cash to get to 3 years from now
a first class plane ticket to Europe to visit my relatives
a farm sitter that can be trusted while we go on a 3 week trip to Goa

that's all :)

I asked husband for a black wool coat. My nicer coat is looking a bit sorry. I have lots of coats I use for choring, and those are all washable.
Other things I want one of these days....ceiling border moulding in the kitchen. New kitchen flooring, and the wood floors downstairs redone. My list is not very exciting, either. Ha.
I had a nice one that I hardly ever wore once I retired. The moths liked it too! Not the first time the moths have destroyed wool clothing of mine.

That's a bummer. I had one I wore for years. Not in good shape anymore. I need one that is not a chore coat that looks better.
My wife likes her anoraks and gets a lot of compliments when she wears them. The come in a made-made material or in wool. They are made in the USA in Ely, MN.
Below my wife (left) wearing her green wool anorak....
1702305951686.png

And, this is wifey (center) wearing her red poly anorak....
1702306062300.png

My wife likes her anoraks and gets a lot of compliments when she wears them. The come in a made-made material or in wool. They are made in the USA in Ely, MN.
Below my wife (left) wearing her green wool anorak....
View attachment 121167

And, this is wifey (center) wearing her red poly anorak....
View attachment 121168
When I was in college, there was someone who had an anorak. I wanted to make myself one. I never did. They are beautiful jackets.

Latest posts

Back