cicadas ugh

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It's official: 2024 belongs to the cicadas. This spring, two different broods of cicadas — one that lives on a 13-year cycle and the other that lives on a 17-year cycle — will emerge at the same time from underground in a rare, synchronized event that last occurred in 1803

It's official: 2024 belongs to the cicadas. This spring, two different broods of cicadas — one that lives on a 13-year cycle and the other that lives on a 17-year cycle — will emerge at the same time from underground in a rare, synchronized event that last occurred in 1803
When do they come out? How long are they active? Where do they range?

I hope people have greenhouses.

When do they come out? How long are they active? Where do they range?

I hope people have greenhouses.
I think they come out around August.

My first year of teaching, we had recess in a small park across the street from the private school I was teaching in. The children found cicada carcasses on trees. It was the first time I had ever seen them. A cicada grasps onto a tree trunk and sheds its skin as they grow. The children were very fascinated by this exoskeleton.

We have to know that with all of the different years of them coming out, every x amount of years depending upon which of the 100 varieties are involved, that sooner or later they would overlap here and there some years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada
At least 3,000 cicada species are distributed worldwide, in essentially any habitat that has deciduous trees, with the majority being in the tropics. Most genera are restricted to a single biogeographical region, and many species have a very limited range. This high degree of endemism has been used to study the biogeography of complex island groups such as in Indonesia and Asia.[10] There are several hundred described species in Australia and New Zealand,[c] around 150 in South Africa, over 170 in America north of Mexico,[11] at least 800 in Latin America,[12] and over 200 in Southeast Asia and the Western Pacific.[13]

Last edited:

Where is this happening? What states? The 'hatchings' occur in large areas, maybe parts of a couple or 3 states.

An excerpt of my post from the thread Sup linked...

I remember an outbreak of these pesky little jet engines. Outdoor weddings had to be canceled all over TN because of the noise level. One afternoon I was driving from Atlanta to Nashville. I stopped at a Chattanooga grocery store and bought 12 gallons of water and the biggest wrap of paper towels they had. I stopped every 8-10 miles to scrap the crud (layer of oozing bug parts) off my windshield. I simply couldn't see to drive much more without stopping. It took me hours to get to Nashville!! That last 130miles took over 4hrs to drive.

Yep, they are pesky little devils. Played with them as a kid though. The species here hatch every year but they are rare, might see one or two each summer.

Last edited:
I can deal with the cicadas, even their "singing" but I just can't handle the Cicada Killer Wasps that come with them. They also grow underground and leave horrible looking dirt mounds (think ants on steroids) and tunnels. They are big. Like you need a tennis racquet to hit them big. They like to follow you and try to intimidate you. Only the female stings and she hangs out in her subterranean lair most of the time. You'll know it's her when you see her--she's even bigger than the males. The males are about as big as your thumb.

I've never had them eat on anything in my gardens.

We will have them here. We always do, and we have had multiple species come out at the same time. They are annoyingly loud, but I don't believe they are harmful to anything.

They live on tree sap. As nymphs underground, they drink from tree roots. They live deep underground, 8ft. No way of knowing they are there. When they emerge above ground for their breeding cycle they only live about a month. Then they continue to drink tree sap but from twigs and leaves. They don't eat the leaves or roots, only drink the sugary liquid. But they are drinking the tree's nutrients.

I've wondered... say i had an orchard. How would i know cicadas are drinking from roots underground? Trees that do poorly? How would someone know there's and infestation? I haven't read anything that explains it.

Last edited:
We don't have them around here as far as I know.
...Trust me, if you had them, you would know.
When you are outside and have to shout to carry on a conversation, it ain't no secret :(.

Last edited:
We don't have them so I don't think they are real. I have to really shout in order for Tirediron to hear me on the other side of the mountain; it's probably why he spends so much time cutting fire wood.

He claims it's because it's cold out, but I think he is just ignoring me. Maybe you all are just hearing me yodeling at Tirediron.

We don't have them so I don't think they are real. I have to really shout in order for Tirediron to hear me on the other side of the mountain; it's probably why he spends so much time cutting fire wood.

He claims it's because it's cold out, but I think he is just ignoring me. Maybe you all are just hearing me yodeling at Tirediron.
In a few months I may ask for your address so that I can send you some exoskeletons that are found on trees. Also, look at the Wikipedia article about them. You may not have them, but almost every continent has them, if not all.

My Dad brought one to the Breakfast, that he had found while feeding the animals. We never had the event of cicadas sounding like crickets.
We find a few exoskeleton, but not many, so I am not sure how many are here. Eight feet deep will not freeze, so they could be anywhere.

I found this one on my porch a couple years ago... shedding his exoskeleton so he can fly and breed. Sort of neat to watch but slow, at least they have legs, quicker than a snake shedding his skin.

Cicadia 01 a.JPG

Cicadas.jpg

Latest posts

Back