College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home just in time to see the kickoff of the TN game. I was rooting for Kentucky, Texas and Bama. I usually root for SEC teams over non-sec teams unless they beat Bama that year. Auburn earns that distinction. LSU is playing awesome football this year so they get a pass.

TN is looking decent so far (except for that bone head 4th and goal play) but still no score with 3min to go in the first.

@Bacpacker Tn by 3... 6-3 at the half. A rain band about 80 miles wide is about to hit me so I'll probably miss the 2nd half...

Tn has superior athletes... they are just getting out coached. IND seems to have the right defense called every play...

I’ll save you the pain if you still can’t watch it.

Ind. Drove down and scored after the half… good halftime adjustments.

TN had a great return across the 50…

Then TN threw into triple coverage! Returned for a TD but missed the extra point.

Score IND 16-6

See what I mean? Indy has the right defense called every play. BUT throw into triple coverage… Duh!

7min to go in third...

Watching the championship game.
Ohio State: Season Record 7 wins, 0 losses.
VS
Alabama: Season Record 12 wins, 0 losses.
WTH?
Can I play half as many games and still be in the championship game?

Answer: No. You must play half as many games, plus one!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

A screwed up season for all our teams, especially the players who have dedicated years to get to play big time college football. I'm proud of my boys. We'll all gladly take that trophy home. Next time I go to T-town for groceries I'll gladly make the detour across the river to see that trophy.

Ah... to be young and on the strip tonight. They'll party all evening. I know, I been there a couple of times in my youth. The Bear was coaching then.

In these parts we still think the Bear could walk on water... I don't even know how to describe Saban, 7. 7 National championships in 13 years. I never thought he could do it.

Lets all hope we have a normal season next year for all the kids.

Congrats to Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide. They earned it. I would agree Ohio State should not have been there. A six game schedule did not even qualify them for the Big 10 Championship.

It begs the question that has been asked for years. Why is D1 Football the ONLY NCAA sport that does not have a playoff system? The answer is money. Sad but true. The money derived from all of the worthless, contrived bowl games is off the charts huge.

D1 Football should expand its playoff system to at least 8 teams; one more round. Winners advance. Losers go home. That would eliminate most of the arguments about who should be there.

College Football

Getting this thread back to the top so I can find it... tried yesterday...

Here we go! Bump!

Yeehaw.

I'm not expecting much this year. UT lost so many people this off season, they are very short-handed. Should be more fun to watch than the last several years have been.

Since Saturday I've watched replays of the Bama, Georgia and MS state games. Georgia has an awesome defense this year, those boys can play ball. To play that well, 1st game of the season, against Clemson was impressive.

Coming into the Bama game Miami was ranked 14th nationally. Either that ranking was a bad mistake or Bama looks incredible this year.

I saw part of a replay of the LSU game. My first impression was correct... the entire team looked like they were asleep. They simply didn't show up ready to play. LSU looked so bad its an embarrassment to the rest of the SEC.

Edit, to be fair 4 days before the game LA was ravaged by the 3rd most powerful hurricane in history... maybe the LSU players couldn't reset from storm mode to game mode.

Last edited:
I expect coach O will be fired by the end of the season if not before.
Ga defense looked great. If Clemson is near normal, GA will be hard to score on.
Not sure about Miami, been years since they were very good. Sounds kinds like North Carolina, ranked high and layed an egg in game one

Iowa State vs Iowa is the super bowl, world series, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's all rolled into one if you live in Iowa. This year the Cyclones are in the top 10, and the Hawkeyes are top 15. The Hawks looked great in their opener and crushed a ranked team, the 'Clones were flat and barely beat a division I-AA team. This game makes or breaks the entire year for both teams and it's going to be the game of the week on TV. Bring it on! Go 'Clones!

I don't think we will have much to brag about this year. Head coach is in his second year, and we are looking for improvement. First game was a "W" but unimpressive. We will see. Initial reaction: nice to see the stadiums (almost) full, and the kids playing again. Fingers crossed there isn't a huge rise in Covid cases.

Thanks for bumping the thread, Peanut. This one is always fun.

I watched the Ole Miss game last night. Louisville has a crappy team but... Ole Miss has always recruited great receivers, speed guys and speed kills. Also, they were Lane Kiffinized. The offenses he drew up had Louisville stepping and fetching like their heads were on fire and their ass was a catchin', They were badly out coached by Lane K.

I saw the Bama game again last night. Speaking of "speed kills"... Bama has a new offense full of speed guys. And great quarterback play, I don't remember this quarterback from last year. The announcers said he played in 9 games.. He must have been the holder for field goals because I don't remember him taking a snap behind center. But that kid can play and run. He's fast enough opponents will have to take it into account in their game plan.

As good as the offense looked, the defense looked even better. The linebackers looked exceptionally good. Its been a few years since Bama had linebackers like these. This is going to be more of a traditional Saban defense, good. That's been missing the last 2 or 3 years.

Of course the are coached to a whole new level. Bama is back! Miami looked like a pop warner team up against the varsity. There was no part of the game where they looked to be in the same league.

I see no obstacle to another SEC tittle or another National Championship.

Last edited:
We are spared this year, and don't have to play Alabama. We do have to play Georgia at Georgia. They looked very good against Clemson. IMHO those two (Alabama /Georgia) will be the elite in the SEC. Missouri is slow, can't tackle. and the QB has no zip on his passes. Looks like he is throwing in slow motion. We have a relatively easy schedule, but my expectations are not high.

One of the banes of college football. Clemson, and many other ranked teams, have virtually no chance of playing for a national championship. Lose in the first week, and your hopes are dashed. I can't even remember when a 2 loss team won the national championship. The last one I could find was LSU in 2007. Somebody is going to run the table.

Last edited:
I watched the Ole Miss game last night. Louisville has a crappy team but... Ole Miss has always recruited great receivers, speed guys and speed kills. Also, they were Lane Kiffinized. The offenses he drew up had Louisville stepping and fetching like their heads were on fire and their ass was a catchin', They were badly out coached by Lane K.

I saw the Bama game again last night. Speaking of "speed kills"... Bama has a new offense full of speed guys. And great quarterback play, I don't remember this quarterback from last year. The announcers said he played in 9 games.. He must have been the holder for field goals because I don't remember him taking a snap behind center. But that kid can play and run. He's fast enough opponents will have to take it into account in their game plan.

As good as the offense looked, the defense looked even better. The linebackers looked exceptionally good. Its been a few years since Bama had linebackers like these. This is going to be more of a traditional Saban defense, good. That's been missing the last 2 or 3 years.

Of course the are coached to a whole new level. Bama is back! Miami looked like a pop warner team up against the varsity. There was no part of the game where they looked to be in the same league.

I see no obstacle to another SEC tittle or another National Championship.

Enjoy Henry T. He transferred to you guys this year. He was good with us, should great with other good players around him

Enjoy Henry T. He transferred to you guys this year. He was good with us, should great with other good players around him

I didn't know about Henry T. until one of the announcers mentioned it during the game Sat. I'm sure he had been in the news but I don't keep up with college town pre-season hype. There is so much of it here so close to Tuskaloosa. Heck, I shop in Tuscaloosa once a week. My dad gets the Tuscaloosa newspaper. About 2 months before the season starts the level of football talk goes through the roof as do the number of bad haircuts. If you get your hair cut everyone in the shop including the barbers is debating the season... I learned long ago to get my haircut around the 4th of July. Getting in a barber chair in August is too risky, bad things can happen.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Well, looks like Kentucky is going to beat Mizzou, couple of kneel downs left. Surprising, thought Missou was much better.

Bama won, no surprise there. They looked really bad during parts of the game but they were running new schemes on both offense and defense. Unusual personnel groupings... basically treating Mercer College as a live scrimmage.

Arkansas beat Texas, maybe if I type it again it'll seem more real. Arkansas beat Texas, nope, still seems like some kind of fantasy game.

Texas AM squeaked by Colorado, 10-7. If they were up by 14 I'd buy them pulling a Bama... but 3? they barely got out with a win.

The TN game was pretty good, Pittburg got the win though.

GA, Auburn, S. Carolina and Florida all won along w/MS st, Ole Miss and LSU.

Vandy is still playing...

Arkansas surprised me. And M too. The others mostly as expected. Only game I watched was UT on the DVR tonight. Some many states are or got hurt. Depth is a huge issue. 2nd quarterback could at least hit his relievers. First guy has a great arm, but over throws everything 10 years or more.

Overall the SEC did well today, 11 wins and 2 losses, one was a loss to another sec team. Vandy still playing but down 7 at the half. Could be worse because they got whipped for 2 quarters.

Latest posts

Back