College Football Smack Talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michigan and Florida State both won, so three unbeatens will surely go to the playoffs, Washington being the third. Texas trumps Alabama with a head-to-head win. I don't think the Texas win, impressive as it was, moves them ahead of Georgia.

One team certainly doesn't belong there, washington. Their D couldn't stop wheel chair ladies from the home. So what if they beat oregon... another crappy team. Their qb, Nix, washed out at auburn, couldn't win there either. Fl st won but with their #1&2 qb gone they couldn't beat tx, ga, al or mi. Pretty sure they could still beat washington though, even without a qb. 🤣

I think we saw the national championship game tonight in atlanta. I do feel bad for who ever plays Ga next, nobody wants to face them. 🤣

One team certainly doesn't belong there, washington

I don't disagree, but the talking heads have been desperate to include a team from the West to bring in that demographic for viewers. People in the West have very little interest in seeing two SEC teams in the playoffs. They would watch Golf before they watched that. I have said beore Washington is the luckiest team in the top 10. They have dodged at least three bullets winning two games on the last playof the game, and one that went three overtimes. They will be there. It remains to be seen if they belong there, and how they hold up.

The committee has voted

1) Michigan
2) Washington
3) Texas
4) Bama
5) Fl St
6) Georgia

Edit... Bama will play Michigan on Jan 1st and Texas will play Washington.

Are you guys as surprised as I was? Undefeated Florida State and Georgia BOTH get snubbed?!?! No way Texas should be there and Florida State stays home. Georgia and Alabama is a toss up. You could make a case for one or the other.

No matter the choice the committee made there were going to be millions of angry people with legitimate arguments. Several teams were going to get snubbed with only 4 slots open.

They couldn’t leave out the Sec which meant flst or wash couldn’t go. Bama or Georgia were going and last night’s game settled that point. But ga could still beat any of the other top 5 teams including Bama. (I’m glad we don’t play them again til next season.)

You’re right about the west coast hype. It started in preseason with the Heisman talk. They hyped the qb of USC, the williams kid, it was non-stop for weeks. Then Bo Nix and the ‘great Oregon team’ was all the pundits talked about. It didn’t pan out so the talk progressed to Washington. Why?

In reality the PAC hasn’t been much of a conference in decades. Washington might surprise me but they look like a political appointment. If they beat Texas I’ll be the first to say I’m wrong. But I doubt they put up 10 points against the longhorns and tx could easily put up 40 points on them, Imho. Guess we’ll see in a month, the play off teams are set… leaving some deserving teams sitting home. :(

The Bama/Ga game is being shown again tonight. During the game saturday I was pacing too much to listen to the announcers closely. Plus I used the mute button a lot to silence the worst announcer in college football. Tonight I’m listening to all of it, danielson is just disgusting. He clearly has some kind of grudge against the Sec, not just bama. It’s been evident for years. Maybe no sec team recruited him out of high school. I know he ended up at Illinois or Indiana, one of the nothing big 10 schools. What ever his problem I’m so happy he won’t be calling any more of our games. I won’t say goodbye but I will say good riddance.

Washington is the weakest team of the 4. Bama and Michigan should be a good game. But I think Bama defense will slow Mi down.
I agree Ga could beat any of the 4
Just curious how you think Michigan would fair against Texas if it worked out that way?
I am not a big follower, I am just a Detroit/Michigan boy who is dedicated to the home teams, so I am honestly interested in you, or others, opinion.

Just curious how you think Michigan would fair against Texas if it worked out that way?
I am not a big follower, I am just a Detroit/Michigan boy who is dedicated to the home teams, so I am honestly interested in you, or others, opinion.

I don't know either team well enough to give an informed opinion, but here is a link that compares the teams in the semifinals. You can see the strengths and weaknesses of all four teams. Just compare Michigan and Texas.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...-washington-texas-michigan-alabama-sugar-rose

I dont follow either team that close. But what I have saw i think Mi would beat Tx. They have a a good defense and the offense isn't bad. I don't thinkbTexas could handle them. Bama/Mi should be a very good game

I dont follow either team that close. But what I have saw i think Mi would beat Tx. They have a a good defense and the offense isn't bad. I don't thinkbTexas could handle them. Bama/Mi should be a very good game
I am kinda thinking the same thing, based on my minimal knowledge. I am just hoping since bama lost to Texas, and Texas isn't/wasn't top ranked until the end that Michigan should fair pretty well. Either way I am not driving to Nevada to place a bet, too many variables and possibilities for things to go wrong during a game, I like my money too much. :ghostly:

What do you guys know about the Portal? I know that a player can register in the Portal, and test the waters, so to speak. They can continue to play for their current school if they so choose. Entering the Portal does not mean you have to leave. So to answer half of my question a player who has entered the Portal could still play in their team's bowl game.

If a player enters the Portal and commits to another school can they still play in their team's bowl game? There are some very key people who have entered the Portal. That could have a significant bearing on the bowl games.

Not sure, but I think a player can play for his own team until he is off the team, even if he has committed to another school. But, usually the team says, "Goodbye!" and plays the next man up. But, I suppose I could see one of the 4 playoff teams letting a star player play, since more is at stake than just a boondoggle bowl win.

Not sure, but I think a player can play for his own team until he is off the team, even if he has committed to another school. But, usually the team says, "Goodbye!" and plays the next man up. But, I suppose I could see one of the 4 playoff teams letting a star player play, since more is at stake than just a boondoggle bowl win.

I did look it up. There is no NCAA rule prohibiting a player that enters the Portal from playing for his current school. It is the coach's decision. Admittedly, that would be a tough choice. It would be one thing if the player was just testing the water to see what options they have. It would be quite another (at least in my mind) if the player had already committed to another school.

I did look it up. There is no NCAA rule prohibiting a player that enters the Portal from playing for his current school. It is the coach's decision. Admittedly, that would be a tough choice. It would be one thing if the player was just testing the water to see what options they have. It would be quite another (at least in my mind) if the player had already committed to another school.
Agreed. We basically have widespread free agency in college football right now.

Seems like the universities could make a contractual commitment to the player if the player makes a contractual commitment. But, if the university is not willing to make a commitment, then its fans cannot complain when a player transfers.

I wonder how much longer college football will last. It is getting harder to justify having what are essentially minor league teams attached to universities. What's the point? Many of these players do not want an education. Some do, but many don't. So, why are we (supposedly) making them go to classes just so they can play football for a year?

I'm waiting for an NFL team to set up a "university" where players can get a Sports Management degree, or Communications degree, and the NFL university team can play colleges while the players learn the system and mature. Imagine the Dallas Cowboys University playing the University of Alabama in the college football championship.

Paying individual players is wrong. A star quarter back is only as good as his receivers, running backs, and linemen. Without them he will be on his butt every play. If the defense is lousy they will be on the field more than the offense and the star quarterback will not get much playing time.
As usual, the legal system is flawed. I do agree the athletes should be compensated if EA Sports (video game) is using their name and image in the game but EA Sports should have been required to compensate the team (with equal distribution among the players) if they are given permission to use the names and images in the games. Maybe the key players represented in the game could get a kick back AFTER they graduate but it is a team sport and the team should benefit.
Just my thoughts, I don't make a penny either way.

The money got too big. Gradually, rules that protected young athletes were eroded away. Decade by decade, change a rule here, one there, we saw it happen.

Now the people who make the real money can fully exploit college kids. Cradle to grave!! :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Saw a few bowl games today, couple really good ones. Jax st vs Lu went to ot. The Nd vs montana was fun to watch. Cal vs Tx tech is on now.

I hate all the changes to Collage football. From conferences being totally rearranged, to the payment to players, to the draft portal. It all sucks.
Major League baseball has been screwing around with their rules too. Time limits on pitches, number of pick off attempts. Putting a runner on 2nd base in extra innings. And to top it off they keep adding widl card teams in the playoffs.
Like Peanut said, its all about money. TOTALLY SUCKS

And to top it off they keep adding widl card teams in the playoffs.

I agree completely. I hate all of the Baseball changes, especially the Designated Hitter. The one good thing about the added wild cards is that it keeps peoples' interest much longer into the season. I am way old school. Remember before division play you were either an upper division or lower division team? If you finished in the upper half of the league you were upper division. Only two teams went to the World Series; win the pennant or go home. Pennant races could be tight until the end, but if you were a lower division team you probably had no chance by the All Star game. Now with divisions and wild cards more teams are still in the hunt late in the season. I know it is all about money, but generating interest and putting fannies in the seats is a good thing.

Anyone else disappointed with bowl game blow outs? There have been some really bad games this year. 17 games so far and only 2 good games.

The transfer portal has struck again... dozens and dozens of players sitting out. Saw a couple games yesterday in which none of the players were playing in November, USC and the tx a&m games.

I haven't watched the first minute of any of them so far. No time and not much interest either.
UT has last most of their secondary, top 2 running backs, and quarterback...that I know of. If Iowa has a decent QB we are likely to be in trouble if they can pass protect.

The one I am interested in will be on ESPN in about a half an hour, Arizona vs. Oklahoma. I agree. With so many players going into the Portal teams are not nearly what they were during the season, especially when the starting quarterback leaves. I would think that would help Arizona tonight.

USC managed a win wih a backup QB. Same situation for Missouri/Ohio State. Ohio State lost their QB to the Portal. Makes for some pretty boring bowl games.

If i had my tinfoil hat on... i'd think there's so many bad match ups in bowl games because they want us desperate for the new systems... or any other crap idea they come up with. Naw... they wouldn't do that would they? :rolleyes:

The one I am interested in will be on ESPN in about a half an hour, Arizona vs. Oklahoma. I agree. With so many players going into the Portal teams are not nearly what they were during the season, especially when the starting quarterback leaves. I would think that would help Arizona tonight.

USC managed a win wih a backup QB. Same situation for Missouri/Ohio State. Ohio State lost their QB to the Portal. Makes for some pretty boring bowl games.
Did Missu beat OSU?

Latest posts

Back