Concern about missing members

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He pretty much left this kind of thing when he was removed from his position as Admin at PS and put that jerk in charge.
Different spelling :) NAEKID. Pretty sure it was Carbon Media he didn't like/didn't like him, but that a whole different distasteful topic.

Last edited:
So we must SOLVE the missing members riddles!!🙄🙄🙄Pearl triple eye roll!!
If someone is willing to solve a riddle, guess who "OWNS" the answer. There is an ownership and pride in solving a riddle or any problem. People are "HIGH" speed, with short interest in thinking.

Now if you hand them the answer, they go directly to "PRE" acceptable/approved answers, to instantly see if one fits close enough. Generally, if they have no ownership in the answer, they will outright reject it. Then default to combating the answer. Being argumentative.

The truth is that people are all individuals. They deal with the "realities" that they find in different ways.
There are spots of reality here but for the most part we are part of the "riddle".
I have more than enough reality and truth in my life and I come here for the diversity. As long as it is acceptable I will stay unless my reality and truth keeps me away.
Why do people come and go? It is what they need or there is some lack of what they need here. I stay because I like most of the folks here regardless of why they are here.
All things in moderation and always in love and trust.

If someone is willing to solve a riddle, guess who "OWNS" the answer. There is an ownership and pride in solving a riddle or any problem. People are "HIGH" speed, with short interest in thinking.

Now if you hand them the answer, they go directly to "PRE" acceptable/approved answers, to instantly see if one fits close enough. Generally, if they have no ownership in the answer, they will outright reject it. Then default to combating the answer. Being argumentative.
I too dislike riddles, hints and innuendos. If i myself am part of this problem, please just say the word and I will resign my position post haste. I never want any harm to come to our forum, and want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like.

I do know some here had ulterior motives and determined, "it's my way or the highway", and when they didn't get their way, they took off. I myself am an open book, love our First Amendment, and treat members as I would like to be treated.

Many years ago, my company was going into an uncertain future with layoffs being a strong possibility. My boss bought a copy of that book for each of us in his department (he probably heard about doing this in some silly management seminar somewhere). We all read it there at work (it's a short book), and then like 95% of his department up and left for other places in the company. It was sad, but kind of funny too. This book gift really backfired on him. At least he didn't have to worry about who he would choose to layoff. It was pretty much just him and his secretary left after he gave out those books. I think all of us found better cheese in other departments for another 20+ years, then we all retired. Unfortunately, that boss was gone from the company within a few months of giving out those books. Last I heard he had become a Baptist minister in Louisiana. Nice guy. But someone yanked his cheese big time.

View attachment 98359
I have that on audiobook. Very good. I may have to listen to it again.

Been forever since Winds of Change has been here. Goshengirl too!!
I checked with Goshengirl late November, they are fine, but dealing with medical stuff for one of the kids.

So we must SOLVE the missing members riddles!!🙄🙄🙄Pearl triple eye roll!!
People have different seasons of their lives. Some are here briefly, some forever. Also, how many people have been run off because somehow someone felt threatened by them? Or who was run off because they couldn't figure out how to play well with others?

People have different seasons of their lives. Some are here briefly, some forever. Also, how many people have been run off because somehow someone felt threatened by them? Or who was run off because they couldn't figure out how to play well with others?
A couple members left because they saw changes that they didn't agree with.

And those were huge losses IMO
The ignore option is a good way to increase the signal to noise ratio.

If a someone annoys or irritates you, ignore them.

Better than throwing away the baby with the bath water which is what dropping off the forum completely amounts to.

Ben

The ignore option is a good way to increase the signal to noise ratio.

If a someone annoys or irritates you, ignore them.

Better than throwing away the baby with the bath water which is what dropping off the forum completely amounts to.

Ben
Except the ignore button needs work. It has to put you and the other person unable to see each other. I had that problem with someone who has been removed after many jabs at people. It took way too long for her to be removed. I was contacted by mods and admins that she would be removed, but please come back. My mistake was not to wait until she was gone before I came back. Whoever is the highest poster is the most valuable member and they didn't want to lose her posting of 100's of posts a day, even though most had little to actually contribute.

This is becoming a forum specializing in "GAMES". And the four games are consistently in the top half of posts if you click "New Posts". Now add in kicks & giggles, joke threads, and funny "meme" dogs and cats threads. Net-net-net there is little to engage new guests looking for "Homesteading & Country living" information.

This is becoming a forum specializing in "GAMES". And the four games are consistently in the top half of posts if you click "New Posts". Now add in kicks & giggles, joke threads, and funny "meme" dogs and cats threads. Net-net-net there is little to engage new guests looking for "Homesteading & Country living" information.
The "Off Topic", "Back Porch", "Campfire", etc. sub-forums are often the most popular on any forum. This is where friends interact and have fun together. Where you get to know other forum members. Where you learn things that you didn't even know to ask about. Where you get to sometimes squabble like family members stuck together on a month long vacation, but still remain friends afterwards. Where you can discover that your previous assumed awkward and nerdy behavior (like my excitement over getting a new wall map) is actually shared by quite a few people.

If I wanted a totally no-nonsense always-on-topic forum with no friendships (or enemy-ships) evident, then I'd go to GitHub or some place like that. Which I indeed do, when I'm in a strictly technical mode.

I consider Homesteading & Country Living to be my "home forum" these days. It's where you can go when you have no place else to go. And they allow you in, despite (most) of your readily evident faults and annoyances, which we all have. Just like a family.

The "Off Topic", "Back Porch", "Campfire", etc. sub-forums are often the most popular on any forum. This is where friends interact and have fun together. Where you get to know other forum members. Where you learn things that you didn't even know to ask about. Where you get to sometimes squabble like family members stuck together on a month long vacation, but still remain friends afterwards. Where you can discover that your previous assumed awkward and nerdy behavior (like my excitement over getting a new wall map) is actually shared by quite a few people.

If I wanted a totally no-nonsense always-on-topic forum with no friendships (or enemy-ships) evident, then I'd go to GitHub or some place like that. Which I indeed do, when I'm in a strictly technical mode.

I consider Homesteading & Country Living to be my "home forum" these days. It's where you can go when you have no place else to go. And they allow you in, despite (most) of your readily evident faults and annoyances, which we all have. Just like a family.
I fully understand your point. But my point is members keep asking "WHERE is MISSING MEMBER ????" I suspect this forum is evolving into what you are suggesting, a fun place to relax, like TV sitcoms. But with very little "Meat & Potatoes" content for those hungry for learning.

When this forum started, there was nothing in the title that suggests prepping or SHTF, or any of the things I was searching for when I landed in the old place. I was invited here, but was wary of being able to find what I wanted and needed. I was wary to post about food storage, preparedness, etc. in the beginning.
Sometimes, when I am focused on a food storage thread or something similar, I wonder just how weird I am to be so focused on that and how many others are not here for that, or are just not interested like I am. But that was my main reason for joining PS, and when I was invited here, I hoped that my questions would be answered and that I would learn some things that would help me to be better prepared.

But my point is members keep asking "WHERE is MISSING MEMBER ????"
I can't speak for everyone here on these forums, but my assumption is that many of us are no longer spring chickens. So when someone just up and disappears, the question is "Did they get very sick, or die?" As morbid as that sounds, it is a thought that crosses people's minds when they get older.

I can't speak for everyone here on these forums, but my assumption is that many of us are no longer spring chickens. So when someone just up and disappears, the question is "Did they get very sick, or die?" As morbid as that sounds, it is a thought that crosses people's minds when they get older.
I wish there was a way for admins or someone to keep track of people's real names and to be able to follow up with them when they go missing.

When I went through the Christmas song thread today, I saw that timmie had posted: "christmas in dixie by alabama, my favorite." She was having health problems and we have not seen her in a few years now. She must either be gone, or incapacitated.
What about The Innkeeper, formerly known as Bugout Bob? He has come back a few times, but no one knows how to stay in touch with him or what his real health issues were.

Sometimes, when I am focused on a food storage thread or something similar, I wonder just how weird I am to be so focused on that and how many others are not here for that, or are just not interested like I am.
I came here on invitation from Phideaux. Many invites. Over a period of years. We became good friends on a firearms forum. Ditto for Supervisor42. I met both of these fine people on the same trip, where I nervously flew halfway across the country to meet these "names on the internet".

Despite it being a firearms forum (by name), there was a "The Counter" sub-forum that was just like our "Off Topic", "Front Porch Chat", etc. sub-forums here. Most of my participation in later years was on that sub-forum, even though I was pretty knowledgeable about firearms and could contribute to the technical aspects as well (within the area of my experience). So when Jim invited me here, I told him, "What could I possibly contribute to a homesteading forum? I live in what most people would call the suburbs!" And honestly, I don't really have anything to contribute here, other than posts that I hope will make people smile. I like humor. But if you were to ask me how to fix a tractor, heck, I don't go within 100 yards of one of those. They have this thing in the back called a "PTO" I think it is, and those eat people like me. But, eventually I came here on one of Phideaux's invites. I'm glad I did. Even though, technically, I contribute nothing.

I wish there was a way for admins or someone to keep track of people's real names and to be able to follow up with them when they go missing.

When I went through the Christmas song thread today, I saw that timmie had posted: "christmas in dixie by alabama, my favorite." She was having health problems and we have not seen her in a few years now. She must either be gone, or incapacitated.
What about The Innkeeper, formerly known as Bugout Bob? He has come back a few times, but no one knows how to stay in touch with him or what his real health issues were.
There are a lot of people here who are concerned with OPSEC and won't permit other members to have personal info. There is one current contributor here who has my Facebook and one who probably has my address, if he saved it. I am not sure if the staff has access to everyone's email that we signed up with. I have considered leaving social media contact info with a staff member, just in case, because I usually put life changing events up on FB and if something happened to me it could easily be found.

There is also an FB group for members of this forum. It gets little traffic but it exists. I'm there but I know many members won't use FB.

I guess it all depends on the level of security one is comfortable with. I myself am not hard core about it because I figure TPTB already know more about me than anything they can find here. But to each their own...

.............. Whoever is the highest poster is the most valuable member and they didn't want to lose her posting of 100's of posts a day, even though most had little to actually contribute.
I see this here and on other forums too.

The top priority for forum administrators/owners is that the forum not die due to it becoming silent - and this is understandable. A forum that still exists always has the potential to keep going and evolve into whatever the members at the time think it should be.

Consequently, those members who post dozens of posts and create a big proportion of the threads can change the average subject matter of the forum and are unlikely to be sanctioned while they do it.

But what sort of person can spend literally several hours a day posting on this and indeed other forums?

They can't have a job.

They can't be running a homestead.

They can't be doing a lot of prepping.

Indeed they can't be "a doer" in any normal sense of the word.

The are in essence just a talker.

Some are spending most of the day watching youtube videos and then posting links to those on forums. They probably don't understand that the tracking cookies on youtube are just presenting them with more and more of the same stuff they are clicking on. What pops up on youtube for them is an AI version of confirmation bias. Youtube is defining for them what normal and truth is. When people that create content for youtube (either for money or an ego boost) see the number of views those sorts of videos are getting, they create more of that content. People who are susceptible to indoctrination can have their entire belief system changed by days, weeks, months and a few years of viewing quite unreal content.

Since those very frequent posters can define the broad subject matter of a forum - the question is: Are they the people who should be doing that?

I assess that in the last few years, a lot of people have been dragged down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theory and unreality - they have lost all context of truth and fact.

For some, they were unable to contextualize the very changed conditions of a global pandemic and the things that were different. Having someone "explain" all that to them in a youtube video or on a forum was consoling and comfortable.

But for those of us with more robust critical thinking skills - the trends in these forums have just been sad and a waste of what was a good resource. Those of us who had already researched pandemics, somewhat expected to see mentally unprepared people get weird - but I suspect none of us knew how weird they would get.

......and I assess that is why many people have been driven away.

Most go relatively silently - because they don't want to offend anyone and they know that no individual can make a significant stand against a tidal wave of misinformation.

For those that went looking for unconventional truths, they were indeed able to find an almost inexhaustible supply of new weird and unreal content to feed their acquired habit/dependency.

While these forums remain focussed upon those belief systems, those people (at least) will be the ones that stay.

Latest posts

Back