Dandelion

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The first dandelion appeared in my lawn today, spring is around the corner.

Dandelion is an ancient spring tonic. It was used Asia and Europe. When settlers came to North America they brought dandelion with them.

Dandelion contains a host of medicinal compounds, flavonoids, polysaccharides, sesquiterpene, lactones, triterpenes, sterols, carotenoids and potassium (up to 4.5% in the leaves).

Dandelion slowly cleans the liver, gallbladder and pancreas. It will also help with bronchitis, indigestion, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes (type 2), kidney stones and chronic kidney infections. It will also clear up acne and age spots on our skin. It’s also the star on tv “Roundup” commercials. :D

No wonder people have drank it as a spring tonic for generations. (the green plant next to the bloom in henbit)
dandelion (1)_v1.jpg

In a mix with alfalfa and kelp, I took dandelion capsules for 6 months and felt better than ever. Seeing this reminds me I should try it again. I eventually stopped taking it and haven't taken it in years.

May be some here but haven't noticed them. We do have lots of black eyed susans, they good for anything?

Black eyed susans (Rudbeckia hirta) is a cone flower and closely related to Echinacea purpurea. Native americans used both plants the same way. :)

Ok thanks that is good to know. Maybe I'll be more gentle with them from now on. I really like the way they look in the spring and summer but once they die back they take over fast.

YUM! Be sure to pick them for eating before they bloom...I usually go out with a small knife, cut just under the crown and sever the crown from the root, when the bids are still nestled in the center of the crown. Wash reeeeeeeealy good (they get gritty). Grandma told me to rinse in clean water seven times. Then shake them off and cook. I like to saute in bacon grease, but they also steam if you are going low fat. They are delicious, and amazingly mild if you get them nice and young. Once they bloom, they turn bitter, then you go find yourself some new-sprouted sow thistle, lambs quarters, nettles, or garlic mustard (or even just wild mustard). All are tasty, but get the sow thistle or garlic mustard young. Lambs quarters & nettles just take the tender tips. Oh, for a nice mess of greens now! BTW I have to find someone to show me poke, it grows around here.

If the leaves have that milky liquid in the center it is too old to eat. You want to eat the young leaves and ferment the flowers for wine. You can dry the root and grind it into flour or gently peal it and cut into chunks for soups and stews. The flour can be used as a thickener in sauces or gravy or used to make baking powder biscuits (it takes a LOT of dandelion root for biscuits).
The white milk is a good paper glue but it is poisonous so not for the kids! It works best as a wood glue if you use lots of pressure and heat. It is not a waterproof glue so not for boats or airplanes please.

A better use for Dandelion Root is to Roast it, then Grind and add to Coffee. A bigger bang for your Buck if you want to use a Wild Plant for Flour is to use Cattail Roots, or Acorns. There is nothing better than Ash Cakes made with Acorn Flour, and spread with Butter and Honey.

I could start a Meds factory with all the dandelions I have in my yard.

Yes.....and your med factory is probably better than anything you'd get over the counter at the pharmacy.

Dandelion contains a host of medicinal compounds, flavonoids, polysaccharides, sesquiterpene, lactones, triterpenes, sterols, carotenoids and potassium (up to 4.5% in the leaves).

Dandelion slowly cleans the liver, gallbladder and pancreas. It will also help with bronchitis, indigestion, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes (type 2), kidney stones and chronic kidney infections. It will also clear up acne and age spots on our skin.

I'm so completely jealous that you are already seeing dandelions in your yard!!! All I have in my yard is snow:(

I took an herbal class last year and took notes. Here's some other information I'll share that I learned at that class:

The bitterness of the dandelions have a good effect on the digestive system. It actually increases the acidity of the stomach by increasing hydrochloric acid. You need high acid to prevent heartburn. People who have heartburn actually don't have enough acid in the stomach and the food sits there so the stomach flips to try and break it down. When the stomach flips, it pushes the acid up into the esophagus causing heart burn. If there was adequate acid in the stomach to begin with, the food would have broken down adequately. Taking something bitter before taking something that is not good for you (like cake) will help to signal to the body that something bad is coming and help to get rid of it quicker. So, you want to taste the bitter flavor because it starts a detox reaction in the body. As you get more and more used to the bitter flavor, you will want to make it stronger. Bitterness over time will also help to ease sugar cravings.

Dandelion greens contain all the essential minerals needed to allow you to properly absorb calcium.

Dandelion root extract has been associated with anti-cancer properties. (look at the info online)

The best time to harvest dandelion root or leaves are in the early spring or fall. Dandelion root should be harvested before it flowers to get the best effects b/c the good stuff in the root hasn't been used yet to build the flower. So essentially, if you harvest before it flowers you will get a more potent root.

Use dandelion flowers for soups and salads.

I'll tell you one thing for sure......I'll never look at dandelions the same again! I no longer bother to use anything to kill our dandelions. Instead, I wander the yard and eat the leaves and flowers without washing since we don't use chemicals on the yard. Thankfully the neighbors can't see me. I'm sure they'd think I have completely lost my mind!

This spring, I'm going to try harvesting the root! The healing qualities of it are just too intriguing not to at least try it out. I also will try and eat more leaves after they turn bitter b/c of what I wrote above. It's nice to know that the dandelion has uses no matter what stage it is in, b/c most folks think it is only good during the early stages of development. Uses for all seasons:)

Yes.....and your med factory is probably better than anything you'd get over the counter at the pharmacy.

I'm so completely jealous that you are already seeing dandelions in your yard!!! All I have in my yard is snow:(

I took an herbal class last year and took notes. Here's some other information I'll share that I learned at that class:
:)

Dandelions help with some many health issues… I cringe every time I see the roundup commercial, and the people who spray roundup need the dandelion the most. If you don’t mind – who did you take a herb class from? I might know them. :)

Peanut it was a local one day class at a nearby community college. I'd rather not say which one but maybe check out your local college to see if they offer something similar.

Perhaps also search for local herbalists in a search engine. Many of these folks like to share their knowledge and will likely be willing to teach you.

ETA: Peanut, I mis-read your post. Sorry about that, but I will leave the reply anyways for anyone who may want to check into it. You could probably teach the class:)

Last edited:
I'd love to have your knowledge! The class I took was very interesting and informative. I highly suggest anyone interested at all in the subject take a class if you can. It really does make you look at your own environment in a very different way. I think the answers to many of life's problems usually sit right in front of us, but we're too blind to see it. In the case of herbal medicine, I'm ignorant.....but I'm really trying to change that. I bought books that were recommended by the herbalist but (as with many of my books) they sit on the shelf unread.:confused:

Hey Peanut, what is wildcrafting?

I'd love to have your knowledge! The class I took was very interesting and informative. I highly suggest anyone interested at all in the subject take a class if you can. I bought books that were recommended by the herbalist but (as with many of my books) they sit on the shelf unread.:confused:
Hey Peanut, what is wildcrafting?

Wildcrafting… It’s hunting medicinal plants. I know a few herbalists who don’t have access to freshly harvested medicinal plants. As it happens I have access to over 30k acres. Not all in one location, friends, relatives and farmers I know. I don’t really do it for money either. I usually trade plants for classes. There are over 1200 species of wild medicinal plants that grow where I live.

I have a sensitivity to all prescription meds. I’m the poster child for bizarre side effects. I had to learn plants to treat the many symptoms I have. I don't have side effects from plants.

It was difficult the first few years, no one teaches plants near me so I bought some books. The first 3 years I learned 3 or 4 plants and wasn’t sure of those. Then I met someone in a forum who was a walking encyclopedia of medicinal plant knowledge. Then I met him in person. I still go up a few times a year and spend the day in the woods learning anything he wants to teach. Thru him I've met other great herbalists.

I don’t teach herbal medicine. I teach medicinal plants. People are amazed to learn how many great medicines are under their feet, growing in their yard. If someone wants to learn herbal medicine I point them in the right direction. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back