Defensive Grooming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
  • Great point for discussion. I move my hand up to shirt pocket, like I am reaching for a smoke or something, Second I move to my right to increase the striking distance between me and the closest possible attacker. If stopped by the people, again move away from group (slight side step -- keep them in front at all times) and determine the nature of the stop - (asking for directions, bumming money / or cigarette or ???). Do not allow them to close or circle you. They move --- you move and cut off communication. Leave in a slow controlled motion, do not run but do not hang around either. That is just my response to the type of situation presented in Caribou's link.. There are no perfect plans for every situation but you should have a plan for most situations. My first option is to leave without any altercations. Second plan, win any altercations. First man leaving is always better than last man standing. JM2C

Being trained in TKD where most strikes come from the feet I always move to have left foot forward to be ready to strike with my right foot.
From the title I assumed the article would be about having your hair cut. I used to wear my hair somewhat long. A bad move for fighting because it gives your opponent a handy handle to grab. Why give any opponent an advantage? I have worn my hair short for many years now as do my two sons. We have all received the same training.

Hiwall, Yes TKD are mostly foot fighters and Kempo are most hand fighters. Both are good but I recommended my son learn Krav Maga. He plans to become a LEO and I want him to learn the most effective down and dirty type fighting. JM2C

Last edited:
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". -Mike Tyson

I love that quote and it is so applicable to so many things. As we discussed elsewhere most modern martial arts are softened and competition based, there are only a few that are focused on actually providing a medium for survival. I believe situational awareness and being the grey man come first, and your ability to quickly go on the offensive comes second. As my first martial arts instructor used to say "The best way to fight is not to fight. But if you must, the first person to attack with the sole focus of winning at any cost usually is victorious". He was a scary man.

The thing that drew me to this video is that it was defensive without being aggressive. It made the one punch knockout all but impossible and you didn't look like you were on the defense. "Interesting game, the only winning move is not to play. Would you like to play a nice game of chess," WOPR in " War Games."

I had just landed back at the airport and was headed to my car. In a lonely area of the parking garage I saw a young man that put me into condition orange. I moved over to the side of the aisle away from him. As soon as he turned toward me I walked between two parked cars so the only way at me was straight ahead. We stared at each other for three or four minutes and then he turned and left. I can't prove that he was going to attack me. I do count it as a win because I never had to fight.

I don't have any defensive skills but am looking to take a self defense class, hopefully soon.

I always have my head up and scan the area I'm in. I'm looking at who could be a threat, who likely isn't a threat, who is between me and my car, etc. I don't get out of the car until I'm ready to roll. I'm moving with a purpose. I don't talk on the phone when I'm walking and if I get a call in the store, I go to a private area or an uninhabited isle and take the call and make it short. Part of that is b/c I hate shopping so I just wanna get outta there! I always carry cash so I dress very plainly without bling and I drive a plain car. I don't look like someone who has a purse full of cash, which I usually do.

I don't have any defensive skills but am looking to take a self defense class, hopefully soon.

I always have my head up and scan the area I'm in. I'm looking at who could be a threat, who likely isn't a threat, who is between me and my car, etc. I don't get out of the car until I'm ready to roll. I'm moving with a purpose. I don't talk on the phone when I'm walking and if I get a call in the store, I go to a private area or an uninhabited isle and take the call and make it short. Part of that is b/c I hate shopping so I just wanna get outta there! I always carry cash so I dress very plainly without bling and I drive a plain car. I don't look like someone who has a purse full of cash, which I usually do.

Being aware of your surroundings is not only a defensive skill but arguably the most important. If you don't know you are threatened you can't defend.

NH told me about some moves like that. Raising the arms seemed to me opposite of what he's saying, leaving my sides or abdomen open for injury. Instead, it is seen as a ready to strike move, eh? But it is all intuitive, isn't it? You're seen as someone who is able to defend themselves when you posture yourself like that, is that what the guy in the video is saying? The possible attackers intuitively know you know the moves. Eye contact sends a message too.

Caribou, were you and the young guy staring each other down standing still, or walking towards each other? I was confused about the part where you said, "...I saw a young man that put me into condition orange. I moved over to the side of the aisle away from him. As soon as he turned toward me I walked between two parked cars so the only way at me was straight ahead. We stared at each other for three or four minutes and then he turned and left. I can't prove that he was going to attack me. I do count it as a win because I never had to fight."
Yes, a win.

One of my instructors was introducing a new person to our small class. When the instructor pointed at me he said "and this guy is just here to learn how to kill people". He was correct of course even though I had never said anything like that to him. He was a good instructor in some ways. He had us do full contact sparring, with padding and no head strikes. Of course even then I was a concealed pistol carrier. It is impossible to have too much knowledge or take too many precautions.

I looked at martial arts as a way to stay armed even if all my man made weapons were not available. Hands, feet and teeth are always present and accounted . Now I would always prefer not have to use any weapons or tactics. But once I have to defend, I would prefer to defend from a distance, say 1000 yards or so to start. :archery:

NH told me about some moves like that. Raising the arms seemed to me opposite of what he's saying, leaving my sides or abdomen open for injury. Instead, it is seen as a ready to strike move, eh? But it is all intuitive, isn't it? You're seen as someone who is able to defend themselves when you posture yourself like that, is that what the guy in the video is saying? The possible attackers intuitively know you know the moves. Eye contact sends a message too.

Caribou, were you and the young guy staring each other down standing still, or walking towards each other? I was confused about the part where you said, "...I saw a young man that put me into condition orange. I moved over to the side of the aisle away from him. As soon as he turned toward me I walked between two parked cars so the only way at me was straight ahead. We stared at each other for three or four minutes and then he turned and left. I can't prove that he was going to attack me. I do count it as a win because I never had to fight."
Yes, a win.

I was standing between two cars and he was about 30' away just standing there looking me over and I think looking for any signs of fear or weakness. Then again, who knows what he was thinking.

Latest posts

Back