diet starting today

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for ones doing this right now...keep doing it and use this thread to inspire you...and all of us to do better in our life..no matter which path we use to get there.

sorry forgot
ok, looks good, I could do that for a week
then I would want some real dairy and meat
Your choice. People in Blue Zones eat meat about 6 times per month. And, then very little.

Alcoholics could probably do without booze for a week, but then would crave for some, too.

I think too many people "Live to Eat." We try to "Eat to Live."

I broke another barrier today. I haven't seen 222 pounds in 40+ years. Sorry for tooting my own horn, but it feels great!
Screenshot_20240113_184718_Fit Profile.jpg

Hey all. I wandered off around Christmas. I didn't go off the rails just continued to try and eat good food, but smaller portions than I would like to. Overall I am still under my starting weight, maybe gained 6 lbs back. We spent almost 2 weeks with family. No gym or physical activity. So I am not disappointed. I enjoyed my stay, now back to plugging away at it. Gowing to the gym and living the farm life.👍

Your choice. People in Blue Zones eat meat about 6 times per month. And, then very little.

Alcoholics could probably do without booze for a week, but then would crave for some, too.

I think too many people "Live to Eat." We try to "Eat to Live."
I am going to be 60 this year, I am surprised i made it this far to be honest. I don't live to eat, but I enjoy cooking and eating a variety of food. I am also not an alcoholic. I had some egg nog for Christsmas and mostly have an occasional shot of hard liquor when I feel like I am getting sick or ate something questionable ( medicinal purpose) . I used to like drinking red wine, but the older I get the more heartburn that gives me so now very seldom

to me it's very strange to compare eating meat to being an alcoholic to be honest. Humans have been eating meat forever. We are omnivores. I think the typical American diet is the problem ( processed junk food and way too much of everything) not the meat

to me it's very strange to compare eating meat to being an alcoholic to be honest. Humans have been eating meat forever. We are omnivores. I think the typical American diet is the problem ( processed junk food and way too much of everything) not the meat
I am not insinuating that you are an alcoholic or that you are addicted to food. I am just trying to draw an analogy between the two addicting lifestyles. I definitely know people who are foodoholics. All they do is talk about food and what there next meal is going to be. They post photos on Facebook almost everyday of the high calorie food they are making or eating at restaurants. It seems like eating food is their only pleasure in life.

One friend got caught up into smoking meats. Everyday he's tending his smoker usually making ribs or brisket. EVERYDAY! That's all he can talk about. He lives for it. He is now over 400 pounds and still gaining.

Another retired friend doesn't cook. Her and her dh are snowbirds living the winter in Arizona. All she does is posts photos of the food they've ordered at fancy restaurants. Sometimes twice a day. You might call her a foodie, I call her a foodoholic. She would go into withdraws if for some reason restaurants closed.

I am not insinuating that you are an alcoholic or that you are addicted to food. I am just trying to draw an analogy between the two addicting lifestyles. I definitely know people who are foodoholics. All they do is talk about food and what there next meal is going to be. They post photos on Facebook almost everyday of the high calorie food they are making or eating at restaurants. It seems like eating food is their only pleasure in life.

One friend got caught up into smoking meats. Everyday he's tending his smoker usually making ribs or brisket. EVERYDAY! That's all he can talk about. He lives for it. He is now over 400 pounds and still gaining.

Another retired friend doesn't cook. Her and her dh are snowbirds living the winter in Arizona. All she does is posts photos of the food they've ordered at fancy restaurants. Sometimes twice a day. You might call her a foodie, I call her a foodoholic. She would go into withdraws if for some reason restaurants closed.
Yeah I can see why you posted that.
I have one friend in Florida that has always been super big huge, and she says " well I don't eat that much" but then she has always had like 5 bags of chips on the fridge and eating junk all the time

My dad is one of those fancy restaurant foodies you are talking about, but he has never been overweight. The portion sizes in Europe are much smaller and you get healthy stuff in a fancy restaurant too. His favorite one is in a castle in the town he lives in. I have eaten there, it's ok, the food is too bland for me but they serve stuff like venison, wild pig, lamb
I went to a lot of those type of places growing up, and remember NOT liking to sit in the restaurant for hours at a time and being very bored
I do make a meal plan for the week so I know what to shop for when I go shopping. Mostly I try to not spend too much money on it. So we eat a lot of cabbage and pork LOL ( and our goat, lamb and chicken of course)

My only addiction I have ever had was probably exercising. This is the reason I gained the weight in the first place, I was immobile for about half a year mostly ( on crutches) plus getting older, so I couldn't do it anymore.

let use this thread to encourage each other and stop bashing.....tell us what you are doing to be active and gain function.

weight loss is math equation...but it needs to be coupled with exercise!

i gaining function in my bad leg...forced rehab by myself is gaining motion on it.it hurts like hell at times from damage.

I will tell you one positive thing from losing weight. My removing 36 pounds from my body has really helped me with the prosthetic knee implants. Whether it is just the fat I was carrying around, or the muscle I've developed with the walking, but my knees feel so good I may quit taking my daily dose of 200 MG Celebrex (a strong NSAID).

Also worth mentioning is all the walking is being tallied in my phone. So far, I have walked in excessive of 500 miles, since June of 2023.

I will tell you one positive thing from losing weight. My removing 36 pounds from my body has really helped me with the prosthetic knee implants. Whether it is just the fat I was carrying around, or the muscle I've developed with the walking, but my knees feel so good I may quit taking my daily dose of 200 MG Celebrex (a strong NSAID).

Also worth mentioning is all the walking is being tallied in my phone. So far, I have walked in excessive of 500 miles, since June of 2023.
i walked about 700 miles last year...starting off i was hurting real bad..i am so much better now,with more to go. I hope to do over 1000 this year.

We are keeping the shoe business thriving, huh?
socks...over the years i used various types of socks...i tried these tall dickies work socks that are knee high support type socks. they are great fantastic socks. i bought 2 pair to try and they done all this hiking without a bad or thin spot in them still yet. i like the tall socks since i wear shorts and they sorta act like a gaiter of sorts.

i use to like smartwool way back in the day but just a quick glance i dont see the ones i liked anymore. cabelas had their outfitter series socks in wool that were great too.i see a bunch of hikers talk about darn tough and their lifetime warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Ligh...7&sprefix=dickie+support,aps,1811&sr=8-2&th=1

Last edited:
socks...over the years i used various types of socks...i tried these tall dickies work socks that are knee high support type socks. they are great fantastic socks. i bought 2 pair to try and they done all this hiking without a bad or thin spot in them still yet. i like the tall socks since i wear shorts and they sorta act like a gaiter of sorts.

i use to like smartwool way back in the day but just a quick glance i dont see the ones i liked anymore. cabelas had their outfitter series socks in wool that were great too.i see a bunch of hikers talk about darn tough and their lifetime warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Ligh...7&sprefix=dickie+support,aps,1811&sr=8-2&th=1
Check out the socks at Duluth Trading Co. I've had really good wear out of them

LOL how in the world did my diet thread reach the topic of socks now?? hahaha
I don't want to eat socks
cause diet alone wont cut it...we need to be in shape !!....lol....we need good gear !!

i walked yesterday in howling winds...i didnt give up! tomorrow is single digits..i may cry uncle and not hike ...lol...what a wuss i am becoming!

I have lost ground, gained 5 pounds from my low, I had lost 25 pounds at that point so I can't say that really gaining weight on the whole, it's just I hit a little bump in the road... Junk food is my big problem, that and see food.... If I see food I just want to eat it.... ;)

I have lost ground, gained 5 pounds from my low, I had lost 25 pounds at that point so I can't say that really gaining weight on the whole, it's just I hit a little bump in the road... Junk food is my big problem, that and see food.... If I see food I just want to eat it.... ;)
It starts at the store, if you don't buy the junk food you can't eat it. Works really well for us, since we are 40 min from the nearest store
go shopping after you eat a meal so you won't be hungry

I will check out some of the heavy duty ones. Always getting holes in one big toe area. I'm sure it's how my foot hits the ground.
plus leftover rice soup from yesterday, made too much
I made enough to refrigerate some and to freeze some, also. The only vegies wee collards that I had canned and okra, squash that I canned so pretty low calorie. I used a small handful of oats and noodles, no rice. Probably the correct amount of oats and noodles and about 5 times more veggies than needed.
Junk food is my big problem
Sugar is mine!
It starts at the store, if you don't buy the junk food you can't eat it.
Exactly. I will need to change that.

I went off the rails last night due to having family over. I had a small glass of wine before dinner, BBQ'ed Salmon and Yellowtail in butter and soy sauce (a great baste for fish BTW), grilled veggies, corn on the cob, and 2 pieces of chibatta bread. I also had one chocolate chip cookie.

I really feel guilty, but I shouldn't, right? No, I feel guilty as hell. I will do an extra long walk because nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels!

I went off the rails last night due to having family over. I had a small glass of wine before dinner, BBQ'ed Salmon and Yellowtail in butter and soy sauce (a great baste for fish BTW), grilled veggies, corn on the cob, and 2 pieces of chibatta bread. I also had one chocolate chip cookie.

I really feel guilty, but I shouldn't, right? No, I feel guilty as hell. I will do an extra long walk because nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels!
Reward yourself sometimes for the progress you've made.

LOL how in the world did my diet thread reach the topic of socks now?? hahaha
I don't want to eat socks
...I thought this thread was beginning to sock:rolleyes:. :LOL:

Reward yourself sometimes for the progress you've made.
This is what I keep trying to tell myself. Yes, I deserve it, but I feel similar to an alcoholic toasting 6 months of sobriety by drinking a shot of Jack Daniels. It doesn't feel right.

looked it up: average calories in 1 ( one) typical burrito in a Mexican restaurant 1000, then add the chips and salsa and you are done for the day ( just an example)
I agree. Restaurant food is very high in calories and the portion sizes are huge.
thanks
it sounded like maybe this thread is cluttering up the forum or something
It's a good way for me to keep track and maybe it will help someone else
the soup thing really works for me, first time I tried this
I’m enjoying this thread and read it every day. I have lost about 40 lbs this past year, enabling me to get my knee replacement surgery. I continue in my weight lost quest every day.
I broke another barrier today. I haven't seen 222 pounds in 40+ years. Sorry for tooting my own horn, but it feels great!View attachment 122764
You are doing GREAT, Havasu. You should be excited about your progress. Toot that horn long and loud.

You should NOT feel guilty. It is okay to splurge once in a while. You won’t gain weight eating like that once a month or so. Slow and steady wins the race. When you start depriving yourself of a splurge once in a while, that’s when you’ll start binging.

I will check out some of the heavy duty ones. Always getting holes in one big toe area. I'm sure it's how my foot hits the ground.

I made enough to refrigerate some and to freeze some, also. The only vegies wee collards that I had canned and okra, squash that I canned so pretty low calorie. I used a small handful of oats and noodles, no rice. Probably the correct amount of oats and noodles and about 5 times more veggies than needed.

Sugar is mine!

Exactly. I will need to change that.

I make different types of soup, here are the ones I make most:
#1 the soup with the noodles and oats, only has 1 chopped carrot , 1 stick celery and some chopped onion in it, plus 1 egg ( beat it, and drop in at the end) plus the chicken stock I cook it in and some salt and pepper

# 2 rice soup : take a little bit of rice ( really small amount like maybe quarter cup ) and boil it in chicken stock until it comes apart, add chopped green onion, 1 egg like the other soup, salt , pepper, and maybe a little lemon juice and butter

thats not too bad, I would not have stopped at 1 cookie
plus the fish is low cal and you didn't even have potatoes or rice or pasta with it
So don't feel bad, it's not like you ate a bag full of cookies or the entire loaf of bread

Latest posts

Back