Discuss "LEASING" a Survival property.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Yes, the transaction would need to be in place before SHTF. So, I have been thinking about this for a few months. My instant first thought is that it is a stupid concept. But maybe it is not totally stupid. Whether you own it or rent it, find it and take control, the largest recuring problems are the same. If you own it, but you can't stop others from taking it. If you lose control what difference is ownership or lease hold. It could be raw unimproved small lot or acreage. Could be leasing the hunting rights, and the right to build a 20' X 24' hunting shack.

I have been banging my head against this concept for quite a few years. We currently house share our house and have had people live on our property when we had a nice remote place.
the hard part is finding someone who is on the same track.....such as what plan of any do they have in mind if things go totally crazy.
On the surface it would make sense to gather a few good people who see the need to have a place to go and maybe already have a small cabin already set up. That way they could keep their town job and build up supplies etc. Then if things get bad they everyone would know each other and already have worked out the simple stuff.
Call it a hunting lease, a shared garden spot or whatever fits your local.
It seems most things I have promoted or been invoved in it works better if everyone contributes for the common good. Or if you have the property all involved need to pay a fee for the use of the property.
This spring I am putting in a RV spot and hope to find some good people who would be assets to continuing to survive and thrive.

As a landlord, once the dollar becomes worthless or nonexistent, how do you get a reasonable rent? As a tenant how do you keep control of the 20’X24’ hunting shack, that you put time and money into, when the landlord wants a place to live and rents have gone through the roof.

As a landlord, once the dollar becomes worthless or nonexistent, how do you get a reasonable rent? As a tenant how do you keep control of the 20’X24’ hunting shack, that you put time and money into, when the landlord wants a place to live and rents have gone through the roof.
If the dollar becomes worthless or more worthless than now, times will be tough and the survival of all concerned will involve enough able bodys to pull 24/7 guard duty. There will be a need for trustworthy bodies..
As far as a tenant investing in something that he might lose.....If someone doesnt have a place in the outback taking a chance and building a relationship with someone who has the location would be well worth the risk. Many many people recognize it would be safer to be someplace besides where they are right now but do not have the means to make that happen.
Even a less than perfect plan enacted now might be much better than that perfect plan that never happens.
There is a storm comiing.....

Lots of hunters lease prime land resource wise- with the proper skillsets you can scout that land without leasing it though... in scenarios where money becomes worthless I don't think that a lease, or even legitimate title ownership is gonna make any difference to an armed and desperate person who needs what you have...

So, I dont think leasing is gonna be worth much unless you use the freedom of access to put some serious caches or whatever in place and have a good idea that the owner/prior lessees don't plan on using the land in the way you do.

For one thing you would (especially if you planned to erect a building) sign and record a long-term lease, that would outlive you. Maybe 20 or 40 or 80 years. I have been looking carefully at this, as I don't figure to be alive for very long, and I have this chunk of cash from recent property sale. Where would the cash be best utilized.

The other thing is once the SHTF (as far as property/cabins/bunkers) the legal ownership does not matter, only who control the "space" matters. Think Eastern Ukraine.

At some point it no longer matters "who" is attempting to remove you and take full control of the land/property/ SHTF hideout. The landlord or aq ragtag gang. You either retain control or they do. Again, think Eastern Ukraine.

Last edited:
I like the concept. Taken further if enough caches, cave, or some such, how about public property. Think remote. Johnny Appleseed food plots and such. To me a suitable dwelling would be the challenge. There are fols that live on BLM land undetected for years

I would think hard about renting out raw land without some big rules. Like you cant cut down the trees to build a shack. Or gather used building materials. That turns into a junk pile. Or water tanks and hauling water. Even building fires could cost the owner if something went wrong. Just look at all the homeless encampments...its all a dump in little time.

unless you own it you cant control what happens there.
Not TRUE. America and your country have leased land (military bases) in other countries. Many office buildings in America are built on leased land. The owner of the land controls what happens with the terms of the lease. Farmers and ranchers lease land, maybe even water rights are leased.

If a person had a good chunk of cash, the only reason to purchase and own property is if they are convinced it will escalate in value. In a severe economic depression, far better to be a renter then an owner. Alaska (and to a lesser degree Texas & Oklahoma) suffered severe depression from 1980 through 1994'ish. Home that had just been purchased for $164,500.00 were selling for $10,500.00 to $12,000.00 we lost 76% of our Banks, Credit Unions, Savings & Loan business.

Once the SHTF and people can no longer pay their rent or mortgages, the government will declare that they don't have to, and can't be evicted for not doing so. The government did that with covid. And that wasn't even a SHTF situation, it was merely a somewhat disruptive and annoying situation. It didn't mater what your lease said ... those were "put on hold" at the whim of the government.

So if you're looking for legal protections during SHTF, good luck with that. It will be down to only the owner and the renter, and who has the balls to shoot first.

Will be interesting to read the opinions of others. This is something I’ve struggled with also. Since we sold our place and have been renting. Thing is as far as rentals, we are in a great location in that we are still out of town but not the hour and a half to work that it would be if we were still at our old place. It’s not our ideal but better than other options at the moment. We are still looking for a remote place but haven’t found anything “normal” yet. Normal meaning we don’t want 12 bed, 8 bathroom party pads 🙄 or even two stories. We want a single level on some acres which is out of fashion.
If it hits the fan we have a river behind the house and can see folks coming. This is as close to town as I ever want to live.

Lots of rigid ultimatum responses. Sorry folks the world isnt black and white..
While things are still bumping along more or less things work within the framework of law more or less. Yes you can sign agreements and covenants and rules of order.
as the world goes into the dumpster fire stage then things well be generally horrible and hard.
So, who would you want around you when things get sticky? someone you already have a relationship with and have done a background check on and you both understand the rules of living on the property......or someone you dont know yet,,,,,,,,, you will be desperate for more warm bodies that can shoot and keep people and the place safe.
If anyone has been even a small time landlord there are ways to scope out people and find the ones you want to be around... And there are some really great trustworthy folks out there.
Time to find people or to find your spot to be when the next civil war breaks out....
1710038099443.jpeg

I was thinking more of normal times, I rent and to a certain amount I can do what I like as long as it dosent affect anyone else, I have a pretty much lifetime tenancy, the rent is paid automatically and the housing association is responsible for repairs and maintenance, but I dont own it and I could be evicted under a no fault eviction if the owner wished to sell the property. probably wont happen but in theory its possible.
I agree post SHTF all bets are off.

Latest posts

Back