Does anybody have a "Woobie"?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
No it isn't a pet or an animal or a Star Wars character. Technically it is a military poncho liner. I watched some You Tube videos and those people seemed to like them. I have questions.

Do you have one?
Do you use it?
How often do you use it?
Does it work? Is it effective?
Do you use it as a poncho liner, or is it a blanket with strings on the corners?
Is it worth it?

They aren't going to break the bank, but I have blankets. What will a woobie do that a blanket won't do?

Here's an Amazon link, and a review.

Last edited:
I have a couple I picked up cheap, never used them for their intended purpose. The cats like em as chair covers, they are warm :)

IMG_0280.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

The 'woobie' term came from some movie in the 80's, can't remember the name of it.
Why call it a “woobie”?
It wasn’t always called a woobie. For years, soldiers referred to the poncho liner by its official name. Then somewhere along the way, it gained a nickname; the most common explanation is that “woobie” comes from the 1983 film, Mr. Mom, in which a child refers to their blanket as “woobie.” Others say it’s a portmanteau of “would be,” as in, “You would be cold without it.” No one knows for sure which theory is correct, though history shows the nickname taking hold somewhere in the early 1990s.

We did not have them in the stateside Army of 1968.
Was issued one in Vietnam in 1969, I think I had to turn it in when I processed out of my unit and began the journey back to The World.

Thank you all for your input. It is a blanket. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I have plenty. I don't need another one, even if it has a different name. :Thankyou:

Why call it a “woobie”?
It wasn’t always called a woobie. For years, soldiers referred to the poncho liner by its official name. Then somewhere along the way, it gained a nickname; the most common explanation is that “woobie” comes from the 1983 film, Mr. Mom, in which a child refers to their blanket as “woobie.” Others say it’s a portmanteau of “would be,” as in, “You would be cold without it.” No one knows for sure which theory is correct, though history shows the nickname taking hold somewhere in the early 1990s.
As soon as I saw the term "woobie" I thought of a child's blanket. I didn't have one as a child that I remember, and my daughter didn't have one that she couldn't live without. She had several blankets, crib sized quilts that she used over the years and they are still in a closet.

As a layer for under a poncho, I think this is a good idea. I would perhaps make one for myself out of fleece, but with an opening to go over my head, with a button, snap or tie to help keep it closed. I have considered making myself a polar fleece poncho for those cold and windy days when another layer would be helpful.

I have several, keep one in my day pack. All of mine are digital camo, either desert or forest. I've worn out one set, mostly from carrying it around. The poncho is great for rain, either worn or for a small shelter. The poncho liner is handy.

But none of my liners have a hole for my head to go through. Meaning they can't be used as a poncho liner. Each can be used separately.

I don't know if I got rejects or what.

Edit to add... Until recently I spent a great deal of time in the brush hunting medicinal plants. Getting caught in a storm was common. Even in summer temps can drop 30 degrees, a little shelter and a blanket are nice to have while waiting for the rain to stop.

woobie 01a.JPG

Last edited:
I always knew woobie (woob e), AKA binkie to be a Childs blanket. It is usually the blanket from their crib and as they graduate to a larger bed it goes along with them as a comfort item. Neb's cartoon is good representation of how attached some kids are to their woobie.

I have several, keep one in my day pack. All of mine are digital camo, either desert or forest. I've worn out one set, mostly from carrying it around. The poncho is great for rain, either worn or for a small shelter. The poncho liner is handy.

But none of my liners have a hole for my head to go through. Meaning they can't be used as a poncho liner. Each can be used separately.

I don't know if I got rejects or what.

View attachment 78748
No, yours are not defective.
There is no head hole.
The poncho liner was to be used as a blanket, inside the poncho when laying on the ground. A makeshift sleeping bag. Watch the video posted above.
Stateside, units that were expected to go to the field now and again were issued sleeping bags. A sleeping bag in Vietnam would be a hinderance so they were not issued. To my knowledge anyway.

The railroad is full of veterans, I've heard some of them talk about their woobies a few times. But it's apparently not a universal term. Since I'm not a veteran I wasn't sure what it was and I asked a friend who was in the guard, deployed to Afghanistan in 2006. He had never heard the term but he guessed what it was when I said I thought it was like some kind of blanket. He said they are super warm.

But none of my liners have a hole for my head to go through. Meaning they can't be used as a poncho liner.

People still use them for poncho liners, several of my friends have them, and use them.

Also, a couple of them put a slit in the middle and installed a nylon zipper, just unzip it and over the head it goes.

Some are made with a slot for the head already in place.

I thought about putting a slit for my head in the first one I bought. I found over time I didn't often need the blanket here in the deep south. I do most of my plant hunting in spring, late summer and fall. Once in a great while the blanket is handy when sitting out a storm.

If I'm out in winter I only need the rain slicker because I'm wearing winter clothes already.

With CFS I occasionally get caught away from home and have to get a cheap hotel over night. The poncho liner comes in handy, don't have to use their blankets etc.

So, I keep both in my day pack, along with 100ft of paracord, fire kit and canned tuna salad. I can stay anywhere 24hrs with whats in my pack, even the swamp.

A woobie is impractical here on the farm. Where there are cows there is barbwire. A rain poncho tends to get caught on anything sharp and flops in the wind. A cheap rain jacket works better... For really bad weather I have a heavy rain coat/pants that'll stand up to hurricanes.

I'm glad I have woobies and will continue to buy them. They meet specific needs.

The closest I have is a wool army blanket that I made a cross cut in the middle to pull it over my head like a poncho. I made it to wear on my 4 wheeler when it was cold, but being in the desert I have little need for a rain poncho. It worked great for breaking the wind while riding, I kept it in the storage bag on the rack and would pull it out if the weather changed or when heading back to camp in the evening. I think I had to cut about a foot off one end so it wouldn't be too long, but still long enough to tuck the back side under my back side to keep it from flapping in the wind like a cape.

Being in the desert we don't get much rain or I would have an actual poncho with a liner. Now I just have a lightweight rain suit in a small pouch that I have probably used twice over 20 years, and that was to stop the cold icy wind , never for rain.

Latest posts

Back