Dollar Stores

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was recently at Dollar Tree and was stocking up on some things. An older guy came along and was grumbling that he heard prices were going up again. I did a quick search online and didn't really see anything new, but apparently Dollar Tree is going to implement Dollar Tree Plus which will have different price points of $3 and $5, along with the regular stuff. Thus far in my area, dollar stores are still at $1.25 per item in the store. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see prices jump again since inflation is still heading higher.

There are a few things I buy exclusively at the dollar store so I stocked up on some of them today:

toilel bowl cleaner
tin pans for casseroles (to go)
shave cream
body wash (sometimes, if they have a good brand and it smells good)
bleach
general purpose cleaners
scrubbies
64 oz. old orchard blueberry/pomegranate & cranberry juice (an occasional yummy treat)
nail clippers & emery boards
office supplies like sticky notes, erasers, staples, markers, super glue, etc.
greeting cards
moisture eliminator packs (for safes and cabinets)
clothes pins
9 volt batteries
reading glasses

If yoiu are a dollar store shopper, you might want to consider getting some stuff before they change prices again. I'm not sure when that's going to happen.....but I bet it will.

I'm curious......what items do you generally buy at the dollar store?

We have a couple of Dollar Store chains in our area. One of them raised prices to $1.25. I still shop there as some items are still a good value. You just have to know what you are getting.

Greeting cards are a great deal. Birthday, Anniversary, Valentines Day, any occasion. The store near us often has sales where cards are two for a buck. Call me cheap, but paying $5,00 - $8.00 for something that is going to get thrown away is foolish.

IMHO batteries are also a good deal. My wife is anal about using Energizer, but I have had good luck with other brands. I really need to do a full blown test and cost comparison to see which is the better value.

Last edited:
I go to Dollar stores specifically for prepping items, and things I cannot find anywhere else. I have a few items that I buy at Dollar Tree, such as Christian Easter cards.

Some of their items kind of creep me out, not sure why. Maybe the store isn't as clean and organized as I like stores? I find that many of their products are watered down, less strength than you can get otherwise. Isopropyl alcohol, peroxide, dish soaps.

I get candles, dried beans (the cheapest price I've seen on dry beans), bars of soap. There are other items that I've gotten there, but these three are my go to every time I go.

I used to get canned hams at Dollar General, but I can't find them there now. I get canned hams at Walmart now.

I love Dollar Tree & don't like dollar general. I saw that since the buy out they are now sometimes combining stores, we have one in town. I browsed it & can't say that I was impressed. I'll stick to Dollar Tree. On the last price increase I was surprised at the new stuff that they started shipping in for only a quarter more. It would be interesting if another price increase will be a plus or a minus.

We live in a rural area and still, there is a Dollar Tree or maybe it's Dollar General near us. I have never been inside either of those, but maybe I should give it a look.
You should check them out. Sometimes I'm amazed at the quality you get for such a low price. Now they don't carry even low priced items but somethings are exceptional. For instance everybody has those cheap plastic bag clamps, which tend to break over time. Dollar Tree has a package of metal clamps that last forever. I use them for all kinds of things. For instance I have a netting that I put over my garden plants. Rather than use something fancy or complicated to hold the netting on I just use those clamps on some garden hooks. So for $2.50 I hold the netting on & can remove it & reinstall it in seconds. Also they have lots of cheap plastic items that can be useful.

We just got a new Dollar Tree opened in the old CVS pharmacy building.. It is quite nice and much different then the other Dollar type stores.. There still isn't much I need from there very often.. And you do have to watch prices on many things compared to Walmart for instance..

Latest posts

Back