Donkeys Are Great Guard Animals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Especially jennys.
I wanted to raise donks when we bought this place we had one Named Rosie.
We named the new place Sassy Ass Acres , Home of Rosie --------.
Donkeys are asl overy smart. But will let your dogs live once they know they belong. And dogs learn very quick donks don't like to play chase or be friends. But they do love their owners. Mien would cry and put her head on my chest if she got spooked. She run to me full speed and never bump me they can stop on a dime too.

I did not know you could acclimate them to dogs. Too bad I didn't know that before we moved from TN. I could have used a couple of them.

I did not know you could acclimate them to dogs. Too bad I didn't know that before we moved from TN. I could have used a couple of them.

Yes they will leave your dogs alone once they know they are yours. But no other dog is allowed in the yard. She even kicked a dent in the fender of a classic Continental once because he just came up without calling and she was running free. He said ' what the hell was that'. He called the next time so we could put her up.

Yes they will leave your dogs alone once they know they are yours. But no other dog is allowed in the yard. She even kicked a dent in the fender of a classic Continental once because he just came up without calling and she was running free. He said ' what the hell was that'. He called the next time so we could put her up.
That is too funny. Good girl, keep those bad monsters off your yard.

I hear Mules are great protectors too? I want one so bad but I can't until I am there to care for it all the time. I've had the opportunity to trail ride several times on mules and just fell in love with the big beautiful beasts!!

I hear Mules are great protectors too? I want one so bad but I can't until I am there to care for it all the time. I've had the opportunity to trail ride several times on mules and just fell in love with the big beautiful beasts!!

I saw two of the most beautiful mules in Chatsworth Ga. about 20 yr.s ago at Mule and Donkey Show. It looked like their faces were painted on instead of natural.

I just sold my 4 donkeys, Over the years I have found out that longhorns can take care of themselves very well. (even the young ones)
I will miss Molly and May but with 7 new ponies on the farm ... Something had to give.

I just sold my 4 donkeys, Over the years I have found out that longhorns can take care of themselves very well. (even the young ones)
I will miss Molly and May but with 7 new ponies on the farm ... Something had to give.

I watched a pair of longhorns drive an alligator off the trail. The gator didn't do much arguing, maybe they'd met before.

Donkeys and Dogs...Hmmmn. No one told these two that they can't be friends.... Inseparable.
IMG_3126.JPG

Are there different breeds of donkeys , some more suited to being good guards, and friends,
some being more ornery,

What are Burro's?

Been trying to talk my wife into a pair for the farm.and for the grandkids to play with).

Jim

One jenny with a jack unless gelded is like one hen to a rooster. Most have to keep their jack studs penned away from jennies.

We had one on the farm, I learned to plow with a Burro, Donkey.

That is neat Joel. I was around 9 yo when I got my first donk aka burro. Her name was Katy. She gave me lots of exciting rides. Our last one Rosie is missed,she had a few a** holes here and there and reminds us she was here.

Latest posts

Back