Don't forget the stuffing....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
2.jpg

I have eaten more than my fair share of sliders, but I can't imagine putting them in turkey stuffing. 🤢

I think we'll stick with cornbread dressing. There are no White Castles in this part of the world.
We can mail you some, it's right up the street, and you can get em in the freezer section here :p

I think we'll stick with cornbread dressing. There are no White Castles in this part of the world.
Have you checked the freezers at the grocery stores? That is the only way that I can get them, but I haven't eaten a WC hamburger in about 40 years. A friend told me she would buy a bunch of them and put them in the freezer. She would take one or two to work for lunch.

That's Yankee Dressing Bud. ;) We do cornbread down south. 😀 I'll admit growing up, the only thing we had at home was boxed Yankee Dressing for Thanksgiving with Mom, but then Mom would actually give us money on the "special school menu" for Thanksgiving and Christmas days to acutally eat there and not bring our lunch to school. Yes, that was a treat for us back in the day. They made some really good cornbread dressing! At least in my older mind. In the past when Dad was still alive, since he did come from NY and Mom came from CO, I would do a mixture of both white and cornbread. Now it's strictly cornbread dressing.

We had cornbread dressing for dinner yesterday. In fact we had a complete Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixins.
We do not put dressing in the turkey it's cooked separately in a pan.
I remember my Grandma putting hard boiled eggs in dressing. My wife refuses to put eggs in dressing.
Note I never called stuffing and never will at our house it's dressing.

Last edited:
Speaking as a Jersey Girl, dressing is a southern thing! I make white bread stuffing, in the bird! Hubby is originally from Michigan, so stuffing it is! My aunt married into an Italian family. Stuffing in the bird, and dressing on the side with all kinds of stuff in it!! They also made a lot of breads and pasta dishes!! Wow!

I've been making stuffing in a large Corelle casserole dish with a lid for many years. I make many things in that casserole dish such as scalloped potatoes. I read many years ago not to stuff your bird the day before and then put it in the oven. There is the potential for food poisoning. It is just as easy for me to use the casserole dish as to stuff the bird, and probably easier to put the dressing/stuffing in a separate dish to cook. The challenge is that it is one more dish for the ovens.

I'll admit I do both. Lightly stuff the turkey with a side dish too. The stuffing from the turkey just taste better in both our opinions, but it is never enough for all of us in the family. But that is the first too go. This year we are heading to Son #1's house. He is doing Prime Rib.

They have done a lot to develop the turkey to produce meat. They have done nothing to develop a large enough cavity to hold an adequate amount of dressing. Between that and they safety issue, dressing gets its own dish. I use the store brand boxed stuffing mix, double the butter, and add an onion. When I'm cooking a game hen I cut it in half and bake it on top of the dressing.

Thanksgiving Quiche
Take a pie tin and make a crust of dressing,
layer of turkey chunks,
layer of onion
layer of shredded cheese
fill with egg and sour cream mixture
Bake @350º till done

Stuffing gets stuffed. It tastes better because of the turkey fats and juices. In order to not over cook the turkey, finishing off the body cavity stuffing in the oven is the way to go. It doesn't take much more time and you get all the flavour. The turkey needs to rest before slicing, anyways

To get more stuffing in the turkey the breast cavity should be stuffed and the neck skin sewn closed over it. More stuffing can be stuffed under the skin between the body and legs but it can take longer to cook the thighs.

Personally, I have never seen or tasted corn bread stuffing. Corn bread is not a thing here.

I could never eat a WC burger or make stuffing out of it. I use my Dad’s stuffing recipe but cooked in a casserole dish. White bread, celery and onions sautéed in tins of butter, turkey drippings or chicken broth, spices. Turkey liver cooked and diced added to the stuffing before cooking.

I would try the slider stuffing once anyway...

I don't mind box stuffing.. But I do add a hand full of raisins to it..
-- --
I DO NOT like box stuffing in meat loaf.. Regardless what the recipe on the box says..

I make a meat and bread stuffing. Onions and celery + smoked sausage, chicken and ham + dried bread pieces. Eggs and real chicken stock as a binder. Lots of fresh sage, thyme, mace, marjoram. It gets cleaned out every time.
That sounds fantastic. We haven't made home made stuffing for a long time. The pre-packaged stuff is OK when covered with gravy. Some is better than others. But I never remember which is the good kind and which is the mediocre kind. Home made is the way to go, but takes a lot more work to put together. Since I'm the only one in our family that really likes the stuff, it's just not worth the effort to make it from scratch for basically just me. Everybody else would be perfectly OK if the meal didn't even include stuffing at all. Sacrilege!

Sometimes stuffing is better than the bird!
One year we had Canadian goose, the cook had no idea how to cook one, so he ended up boiling it into oblivion and mixing it in the stuffing. it wasn't bad but nothing like you'd expect neither!

Sometimes stuffing is better than the bird!
One year we had Canadian goose, the cook had no idea how to cook one, so he ended up boiling it into oblivion and mixing it in the stuffing. it wasn't bad but nothing like you'd expect neither!
Since my grandmother came from a very large family, 15 children, with 30 people for Sunday dinner, they often cooked goose and duck. When one of the aunts, a child from that family, cooked a holiday meal, there was always something like a goose, duck, pheasant or venison included.

They have done a lot to develop the turkey to produce meat. They have done nothing to develop a large enough cavity to hold an adequate amount of dressing. Between that and they safety issue, dressing gets its own dish. I use the store brand boxed stuffing mix, double the butter, and add an onion. When I'm cooking a game hen I cut it in half and bake it on top of the dressing.

Thanksgiving Quiche
Take a pie tin and make a crust of dressing,
layer of turkey chunks,
layer of onion
layer of shredded cheese
fill with egg and sour cream mixture
Bake @350º till done
This sounds really good! It is a great recipe for leftovers. Serve it with some cranberry sauce!
I have some bagged chicken in the freezer from a rotisserie chicken that I could use to make this now.

I know someone who puts the stuffing in the bottom of his roasting pan and cooks his turkey on top. I do think you get great flavor when you cook your stuffing inside or under a bird. The challenge there is that the stuffing absorbs all of the juices that can be used for gravy when you put the dressing in the bottom of the pan and the turkey on top. What a dilemma ! In the order of priorities, which is the most desirable: turkey, dressing, or gravy? I don't think you can have one without the others! And the gravy in a jar doesn't work for me.

I have a very nice roasting pan with a lid that I got at a yard sale a few years ago. For years prior to that, I made my turkey in one of the roasting bags. The drippings would collect inside the bag and be saved and used for gravy.

What I don't understand is roasting a turkey in an open roasting pan, with no lid. What am I missing? If you cook a turkey in an open pan, doesn't it dry it out?

When I was a kid, we would have roasted chicken from time to time, always stuffed with dressing. We see whole young chickens in the stores, but don't see roasting chickens.

I may be banned, but Thanksgiving is Ham, Mashed Taters, Corn, and Green Beans. If I feel spicy there might be cornbread. And that will be later, when Lori gets home, she is farmsitting so the kids can have Thanksgiving with their family.

Latest posts

Back