Don't forget the stuffing....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....What I don't understand is roasting a turkey in an open roasting pan, with no lid. What am I missing? If you cook a turkey in an open pan, doesn't it dry it out?...
What my wife used to do was put cocktail weenies on one end of toothpicks. The other end of the toothpick was poked into the turkey. We called it, "the porcupine turkey". The weenies would baste the turkey automatically and were removed about a half hour before finished so the bird would brown. They would be a welcome treat for hungry kiddos who were starving prior to the Thanksgiving meal.

Last edited:
This sounds really good! It is a great recipe for leftovers. Serve it with some cranberry sauce!
I have some bagged chicken in the freezer from a rotisserie chicken that I could use to make this now.

I know someone who puts the stuffing in the bottom of his roasting pan and cooks his turkey on top. I do think you get great flavor when you cook your stuffing inside or under a bird. The challenge there is that the stuffing absorbs all of the juices that can be used for gravy when you put the dressing in the bottom of the pan and the turkey on top. What a dilemma ! In the order of priorities, which is the most desirable: turkey, dressing, or gravy? I don't think you can have one without the others! And the gravy in a jar doesn't work for me.

I have a very nice roasting pan with a lid that I got at a yard sale a few years ago. For years prior to that, I made my turkey in one of the roasting bags. The drippings would collect inside the bag and be saved and used for gravy.

What I don't understand is roasting a turkey in an open roasting pan, with no lid. What am I missing? If you cook a turkey in an open pan, doesn't it dry it out?

When I was a kid, we would have roasted chicken from time to time, always stuffed with dressing. We see whole young chickens in the stores, but don't see roasting chickens.

In the olden days, before roasting pans were available, turkey was roasted in the dish pan. (ask me how I know) no lid so basting was the method used. Also we usually had 20+ lb turkeys. A kid was parked next to the wood stove and that turkey was basted every 1/2 hour after the first hour. It made for soggy skin which was gross.

I roast my turkey on a rack loosely covered with foil. The pan under the turkey has the chopped up neck, giblets, pope's nose and lots of mirepoix and water to catch the drippings without burning. It's the base for the gravy.

The turkey is self basting but ends up with a nice crispy skin and juicy. The most important for a juicy bird is absolutely no holes in the skin. I never baste. I still like a big turkey.

The turkey is self basting but ends up with a nice crispy skin and juicy. The most important for a juicy bird is absolutely no holes in the skin. I never baste. I still like a big turkey.
The thing about a turkey is that you can do so many things with the leftovers: make broth and soup with the carcass, freeze portions for recipes, make all kinds of other dishes such as enchiladas, turkey and noodles, and so much more. I personally cannot handle days of leftovers from it. I have to get it processed and in the freezer for later meals. Leftover poultry doesn't taste good to me in a couple days, unless I freeze it. I like to be done with most of it on the day I roast it, except the carcass which I might simmer for a couple days with onions, celery and carrots.

Whats wrong with spam and pineapple dressing?
I never heard of any of that. Hawaiian stuffing is more like some kind of freaked-out fruitcake.
Fine. let me get on a day glow wife beater and granny glasses and crack a Michelob light and I'll tell you of the expensive horror that is Hawaiian dressing:
2-3 loaves (depending on the bird size) of Hawaiian bread. totally shredded.
1 large can of crushed pineapple.
1 large can of tropical fruit cocktail.
1 Oz of spiced rum.
1 cup of totally shredded bacon.
1 cup of oatmeal.
1 shredded leek.
1 small can of tropical nuts.
6 eggs.
3 sticks of melted butter.
Mix this mess up in a 3-gallon stewpot use all the liquids, don't drain anything! If its a little sloppy, add cornmeal or more oats, if it is too loose a bit of water.
Cram it in your birds or piglet.

If its a bird, drape it in bacon and use toothpicks to hold on slices of pineapple.

If its a piglet, use apple slices and pineapple slices.

Baste both in melted molasses and bake until done.
By now you've realized the stuffing has cost more than what you stuffed it with, about half your guests will love it, and the other half will look at you like:
Who puked in this turkey?

To be honest, just buy several cheap fruit cakes, soak them in beer overnight, and cram it in your turkey, the end result is pretty much the same.

There, now I feel soiled. I need to go take a bath in rubbing alcohol and get a real drink in me!

I never heard of any of that. Hawaiian stuffing is more like some kind of freaked-out fruitcake.
Fine. let me get on a day glow wife beater and granny glasses and crack a Michelob light and I'll tell you of the expensive horror that is Hawaiian dressing:
1 Oz of spiced rum.
1 cup of oatmeal.
1 shredded leek.
6 eggs.
Mix this mess up in a 3-gallon stewpot use all the liquids, don't drain anything! If its a little sloppy, add cornmeal or more oats, if it is too loose a bit of water.

If its a bird, drape it in bacon and use toothpicks to hold on slices of pineapple.

By now you've realized the stuffing has cost more than what you stuffed it with, about half your guests will love it, and the other half will look at you like:

To be honest, just buy several cheap fruit cakes, soak them in beer overnight, and cram it in your turkey, the end result is pretty much the same.

There, now I feel soiled. I need to go take a bath in rubbing alcohol and get a real drink in me!
YUK

I make a meat and bread stuffing. Onions and celery + smoked sausage, chicken and ham + dried bread pieces. Eggs and real chicken stock as a binder. Lots of fresh sage, thyme, mace, marjoram. It gets cleaned out every time.
== ==
Lots of fresh sage, thyme, mace, marjoram..... This is a big thing in my thinking.. That is doing the spices just before it goes into the oven.... I think this is important to a good tasting outcome...

I make a meat and bread stuffing. Onions and celery + smoked sausage, chicken and ham + dried bread pieces. Eggs and real chicken stock as a binder. Lots of fresh sage, thyme, mace, marjoram. It gets cleaned out every time.
== ==
Lots of fresh sage, thyme, mace, marjoram..... This is a big thing in my thinking.. That is doing the spices just before it goes into the oven.... I think this is important to a good tasting outcome...
== ==
I would try a Spam and pineapple dressing in a hot minute...

1 Oz of spiced rum.
1 cup of oatmeal.
1 shredded leek.
6 eggs.

This makes me think of fruitcake which resulted in my first migraine. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I put shredded chicken in my stuffing, but yes smoked sausage would be amazing!! I just went up to a local Mom & Pop shop to buy some. We have already eaten all the Ghost Pepper Sausage, BUT I still have the Green Onion Sausage, which would be perfect for stuffing!

I may be definitely banned...my entire family including self hates stuffing AND the cranberry sauce. None of that for us, just turkey AND ham, smashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccolie casserole, rolls, and salad
Ok. Sorry but stuffing is one of my absolute favorites for the holiday times. I can make a meal out of just that, not that my Hunny would, BUT I do LOVE my dressing! Cranberry sauce is one of those, I will use if available, but not a must have. Still LOVE ya Hun! Each to there own.

I never baste a turkey either, Clem, and only bake the big ones, too. My big ol roaster, the blue speckled kind that goes in the oven...I don't ever use the lid, and never pierce the turkey skin, either.
I like cranberry, but not the can stuff. I make it myself. Boil the fresh berries with water and sugar till they pop, and add in chopped oranges and a little lemon. So good.

What I don't understand is roasting a turkey in an open roasting pan, with no lid. What am I missing? If you cook a turkey in an open pan, doesn't it dry it out?
We brine the turkey for 24 hours.
Then cook it at 500° for around 30 minutes or till it is golden brown,
Turn the temp down to 350° cover the breast with foil and cook till the breast 165°.
It's never dry mostly due to brining it.
Here's a link. It has never failed us.
We do leave out some of the stuff in the aromatics.

Good Eats Roast Turkey

== ==

https://djsboudain.com/blogs/recipes/boudain-cornbread-dressing
DJ's Boudain Cornbread Dressing

Ingredients:

• 2 cups cornbread
  • 3-4 slices of bread
    (Stale bread works best so leave a few pieces out overnight if you only have a fresh loaf. Ends of the loaf work well!)
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup died celery
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp TexJoy Cajun Seasoning (Optional)
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. In a large bowl, crumble cornbread and sliced bread. Set aside.
  3. Heat skillet to medium heat. Melt butter.
  4. Combine onions, bell peppers, and celery and sauté.
  5. Remove casing from two DJ’s Original Boudain links and add boudain to skillet for additional 5-7 minutes.
  6. Heat chicken broth and 1/2 stick of butter in microwave until boiling. Pour over the crumbled cornbread and sliced bread. Mix. Add skillet contents. Mix. (If you prefer less chunky dressing, use a potato masher for this step.)
  7. Beat eggs with fork. Mix in 2 tsps TexJoy Cajun Seasoning. (Optional step. You could use DJs Jalapeño Boudain instead, but using the Original Boudain and adding the Cajun seasoning allows you to set your spice level which is great for pleasing the whole family!)
  8. Pour over mixture. Mix thoroughly. Move to baking dish. Smooth top.
  9. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
  10. Dig in!

Latest posts

Back