Double yolk eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double yoke eggs are an interesting event scientifically as it is basically an egg inside an egg where the alumn dissolves resulting in the two yokes sharing one shell. It is a common event in young chicks and less common in older birds. Never heard of one hatching though. That's pretty cool!

It's my understanding that double booked eggs rarely hatch live chicks. I honestly don't remember who I got that info from so it may not be accurate.

to keep owls and hawks out of you chicken pen just string fishing line all over the pen at different angles the hawks see then in the day and the owls see them at night wont fly into the chicken yard and if they try then they get tangled in the line ---old trick my mama used -never lost a hen

to keep owls and hawks out of you chicken pen just string fishing line all over the pen at different angles the hawks see then in the day and the owls see them at night wont fly into the chicken yard and if they try then they get tangled in the line ---old trick my mama used -never lost a hen
My problem is they freerange so its hard to protect them.

When my hens started laying, double yokes were common. We have nine new hens that should be laying pretty soon and yes, being freerange they have a lot of enemies, Redtail Hawks, bobcats, coyotes, owls and possibly cougars.

I don't think protecting livestock is offensive to anyone here. If it is then that's their problem. We have a big pair of bared owls that live near by. I see them alot. Never lost a bird to one. My chickens go in at night so it's not a problem. Had a hawk come in and grab a few. So i cut the pellets out of some 12 gage shells and waited. Smoked that hawk with the wad on the second shot. Didn't hurt the bird but literally scared the crap out of it. Hasn't been back. I see it every now and then but it never gets too close. An owl is also a very smart bird. If you don't want to kill it try shooting it with a wad. I would bet that the owl won't be back after that.
There are to many predators here for free ranging. Lot's of hawks, owls, eagles(love to watch them), coyote, fox, coins. I saw a big bobcat a month ago while deer huntin. Last week watched a big owl catch a squirrel. Very efficient birds! I would have to build a Fort Knox to raise chicken here.

Double yoke eggs are an interesting event scientifically as it is basically an egg inside an egg where the alumn dissolves resulting in the two yokes sharing one shell. It is a common event in young chicks and less common in older birds. Never heard of one hatching though. That's pretty cool!

Ever hatch a siamese chicken(s)?

That pheasant might do well in ass kicking contests...

I bought avian netting on amazon and it has lasted years, even when huge tree limbs hit it and slammed to the ground the net was fine. A 50x50 foot net runs about $50 and is worth every penny, smaller coops would need much less. Goes up quick with zip ties, and a pole of some sort easily suspends it high enough to walk underneath.

Have never lost a bird to a hawk or owl and we have a lot of hawks flying overhead all the time. Also keeps the bantams and good flying layers from getting out of the coop on their own for unsupervised free range time (if they get out on their own a couple of my dogs will kill them).

Double yolked eggs are interesting but not desirable especially if you are hatching out your own eggs. Twins virtually never survive the hatch and some studies show the hens that lay double yolks have higher rates of reproductive problems and don't lay as long.

Latest posts

Back