Double yolk eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what mine are, to me they are the best. They always give eggs and big ones. If I could only jeep the owl from killing them, we lost 6 in the last month or two. I'm working on a permit to shoot the thing, if I don't get the permit I'm just gonna wing it

That's what mine are, to me they are the best. They always give eggs and big ones. If I could only jeep the owl from killing them, we lost 6 in the last month or two. I'm working on a permit to shoot the thing, if I don't get the permit I'm just gonna wing it
It's called the three s's. Shoot, shovel, shut up!

well get the occasional double yolk egg but don't really know which of the mutts it comes from.

If I could only keep the owl from killing them, we lost 6 in the last month or two.

We had a hawk coming in for breakfast and an owl dropping by for dinner. We just put netting over the entire run area. Problem solved. Haven't lost a bird since

P1030086.JPG

9 of 10 hens I lose are due to raccoons (nasty boogers). I use steel traps.

I had a problem a couple of summers ago with crows raiding nests and eating the eggs. I hung green neon fishing line randomly over the pen with slack so the lines would move in the breeze. It freaked the crows out, no more problem. I’ve also used this technique to protect corn and other garden veggies from crows as the plants come up. (crows will walk down a row of corn as it comes up. They’ll pull up the little plants to eat the seed it’s sprouting from)

It's called the three s's. Shoot, shovel, shut up!
I was trying to not offend anyone.
HINT...if you have a high velocity varmint gun the just go POOF on the safety side of things only shoot in a safe direction ;)
I don't have any neighbors that would care and we are allowed to shoot here. Nobody would care or know.

Ours free range. I covered their run and if I keep them locked for a few hours after sunrise they are fine. I want to keep them free ranging so it is just something i will have to deal with. We just buy more than we need when we get them and i do my best to keep them alive

I was trying to not offend anyone.

I don't think protecting livestock is offensive to anyone here. If it is then that's their problem. We have a big pair of bared owls that live near by. I see them alot. Never lost a bird to one. My chickens go in at night so it's not a problem. Had a hawk come in and grab a few. So i cut the pellets out of some 12 gage shells and waited. Smoked that hawk with the wad on the second shot. Didn't hurt the bird but literally scared the crap out of it. Hasn't been back. I see it every now and then but it never gets too close. An owl is also a very smart bird. If you don't want to kill it try shooting it with a wad. I would bet that the owl won't be back after that.

9 of 10 hens I lose are due to raccoons (nasty boogers). I use steel traps.

I had a problem a couple of summers ago with crows raiding nests and eating the eggs. I hung green neon fishing line randomly over the pen with slack so the lines would move in the breeze. It freaked the crows out, no more problem. I’ve also used this technique to protect corn and other garden veggies from crows as the plants come up. (crows will walk down a row of corn as it comes up. They’ll pull up the little plants to eat the seed it’s sprouting from)

We've been having issues with ravens. They have killed 3 rabbit kits through the fencing and recently my neighbor called me at work and said a raven pulled the feeder off of one of my faves and killed the young doe inside. He "felt" with the bird for me. The stupid things are protected so we have to catch them in the act or we can't "deal" with them.

My Uncle was loosing chicken almost daily to a big hawk.
My brother and I went to hunt pheasants at his place and there was the hawk sitting on one of his chickens.
My brother walked toward it and it took off.
He fired in the general direction of the hawk and it dropped like a rock.
He wasn't even aiming and the hawk had 1 hole in it.
Right in the head.
Shoot, shovel, and shut up was the order of the day.

We have had the barnyard mix of hens. A friend gave a Buff Orpington roo a little over a year ago. We have a fair sized coyote pop around here. Hubs is unable to shoot accurately anymore because of a stroke earlier this year. I have not used a gun in many years. I was practicing this past summer when hubs health problems started so don't have it down well. I'll get back at hopefully in the summer. Wr let ours free range for a year or so until the preds figured out. Our coop is Ft Knox against preds so unless the chickens are out they'r safe. RIR are known for big double yolked eggs.

I think it has more to do with where the Feed store is getting its chicks.
We’re starting fresh this year with shipped to my door hatchery chicks. First time I’ve done it but we’ve been having such poor chickens for so long it’s time.
I should add that it’s not just us having the issue.
I’m so excited to get the catalog soon! Can’t wait to go chick shopping!

I don't mean to interrupt the thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to put a signature on my posts, using the phrase below:

A capable, loving woman, a gun, an axe and a dog are a good start.

Last edited:
With a new source for chicks you'll increase your genetic diversity, which is vital for a healthy flock. Although double yolks are nice if you are having 'Toad in the hole' with a big slice of home baked bread for breakfast, I wonder how good they are for hatching...

A capable, loving woman, a gun, an axe and a dog are a good start.

Not good. We have one gimp. The other was a part of a chicken. One claw was tiny and perfectly formed in the part of the chicken. I think the living one ate the partly forming one.

Looks like you figured it out.
I finally found "signature". It seems somebody has already inserted my phrase. Thanx all...

Not good. We have one gimp. The other was a part of a chicken. One claw was tiny and perfectly formed in the part of the chicken. I think the living one ate the partly forming one.
I'm surprised you were able to get a double yolk to hatch. They don't usually.

Latest posts

Back