Dumpster Diving/

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, the good old days. Used to run the upstream development lab, every instrument had to be certified to NIST standards.

Get a timer recalibrated and certified, 100 bucks. New timer, with certificate, 15 bucks. Same with lots of other items. They all got "scrapped"

I guarantee they are not in use for QA purposes.
So many ways to go with that.

Admitted my scopes aren't calibrated and i have to do that manually.

I did deliver an application for Rocket Center WV to test and calibrate torque devices ranging from torque watch gages to 2000 ft-lbs wrenches. At the low end a paper cup on a 6" leaver arm, at the other end a 5' torque wrench with a 5' extender was used.

In the case of the the former the metrology lab lead pointed out fluctuations at the low end (inch-ounces). I blew on the paper cup and the reading went crazy. He replied "I wll have to cme in on Saturday when there aren't fork trucks running around."

In the case of the the latter I watched as they set up the cheater bar and 3 people leaned into the wrench... as I hid behind an i-beam incase something went wrong.

Bringing it back on topic...

The lead meteorology lab lead had been calibrating torque wrenches for decades. His name was Dale Evans. During development i used a collection of torque wrenches i owned including some dumpster finds. I was impressed when Dale tried out all if my torque wrenches and screw drivers some of which came from dumpsters using just his hands...

Junk
Off by 3 ft-lbs
Junk
OK

Ben

Dumpster diving runs in my family.

My grandfather was trash collector in NYC. He would save metal for recycling but would grab every tool and throw them on his work bench. When visited him my father would sort the tools for him and claim the best ones. He stocked work shop with tools that way.

My grandfather basement was amazing. Filled with tools of all type but his collection of wind up animated toys was overwhelming.

Ben
There have been times when metal recycling proved to be quite profitable. I heard a story about a scapper before the 1930's being fairly poor, but in a few years, he became quite wealthy.

Hubby and I used to go trashing when we were young. Made a lot of side cash from vacuums that needed minor repair (pawn shop). We would go to town and drive around on trash night. Lots of awesome finds, nice way to spend time together!!
Vacuum cleaners are probably one thing that many women have problems with and no idea how to fix the problem, so out it goes in the trash.

So many ways to go with that.

Admitted my scopes aren't calibrated and i have to do that manually.

I did deliver an application for Rocket Center WV to test and calibrate torque devices ranging from torque watch gages to 2000 ft-lbs wrenches. At the low end a paper cup on a 6" leaver arm, at the other end a 5' torque wrench with a 5' extender was used.

In the case of the the former the metrology lab lead pointed out fluctuations at the low end (inch-ounces). I blew on the paper cup and the reading went crazy. He replied "I wll have to cme in on Saturday when there aren't fork trucks running around."

In the case of the the latter I watched as they set up the cheater bar and 3 people leaned into the wrench... as I hid behind an i-beam incase something went wrong.

Bringing it back on topic...

The lead meteorology lab lead had been calibrating torque wrenches for decades. His name was Dale Evans. During development i used a collection of torque wrenches i owned including some dumpster finds. I was impressed when Dale tried out all if my torque wrenches and screw drivers some of which came from dumpsters using just his hands...

Junk
Off by 3 ft-lbs
Junk
OK

Ben
Corporate QA REQUIRED a traceable calibration certificate every 366 days. You know how that Starrett micrometer/caliper suddenly goes bat 💩 crazy on day 366 :p

Oh the stories I could tell, but everybody would fall asleep )

Same with raw materials, that pallet of Sodium Chloride suddenly becomes unusable on day 366 after receipt unless it's retested.

Last edited:
Vacuum cleaners are probably one thing that many women have problems with and no idea how to fix the problem, so out it goes in the trash.
Vacuum cleaners SUCK :)

Just up the road from us was a huge gully beside a field, feet from the road. By huge I mean 80ft deep, 160ft across. The whole community used it as a dump, everything went in the “cave”. I remember mom saying to dad “Why are you taking a load to the cave?” “You’ll just bring back more than you took.” Welcome to my childhood! :rolleyes:

As a young man I'd be happy as can be in a place like this! Pack a couple sandwiches and make a day of it! Done it a couple times... Ask me how I know there were at least 7 different sets of motor mounts that fit a 289.

c home a.jpeg

Just up the road from us was a huge gully beside a field, feet from the road. By huge I mean 80ft deep, 160ft across. The whole community used it as a dump, everything went in the “cave”. I remember mom saying to dad “Why are you taking a load to the cave?” “You’ll just bring back more than you took.” Welcome to my childhood! :rolleyes:

As a young man I'd be happy as can be in a place like this! Pack a couple sandwiches and make a day of it! Done it a couple times... Ask me how I know there were at least 7 different sets of motor mounts that fit a 289.

View attachment 75687
There is money there! Daughter loves to go to junk yards and find parts for her old cars. I wonder if there is a Porsche junk yard? Her 914 needs a few pieces of trim.
I need to go now and get a wheel for two different cars for her now to replace those awful donut tires they call spares. If we were driving to North or South Dakota, as we do, with one of those donuts, we would be out of luck if we had a flat. Too much distance to drive the minimal 50 miles that is allowed on them. And if the full size needed to be replaced, it could be much further to find a tire that would work.

@Weedygarden most places I've been has had at least one used tire business, don't know about CO. A place you might consider. Gas stations that are near farms will sometimes have a few used tires. A lot a farmers with trailers that have flats, it's happened to me. Don't need a new tire, just need to get the trailer home etc. So nearby stations will sometimes keep a few used tires.

@Weedygarden most places I've been has had at least one used tire business, don't know about CO. A place you might consider. Gas stations that are near farms will sometimes have a few used tires. A lot a farmers with trailers that have flats, it's happened to me. Don't need a new tire, just need to get the trailer home etc.
I have gone to a junk yard a few miles from me, but it is gone now. I have gotten two full sized wheels there. I need to find another place. I keep trying to keep the basics in daughter's cars, because she doesn't pay attention to having a jack, tire iron, jumper cables. I believe they are essential in all vehicles, besides that full sized tire. I've asked her if she has a jack and tire iron, and she doesn't know. How can she be my daughter?

We had a tire issue in North Dakota once, on a Christmas trip, due to snow and ice that packed the wheel wells. I don't really remember the resolution because it was so long ago, but we ended up in a service station for a while, probably to thaw it so it would melt and tires could turn from side to side. Sometimes we have traveled some on Christmas day. No one is open on Christmas, except gas stations, so being prepped with decent tires is really important. I have seen signs in Wyoming that say something similar to, "Next gas station, 75 miles."

When I worked at Martin Marietta Aero and Naval Systems in Baltimore years ago, yes, I would dumpster-dive routinely. That genius company would throw out brand new computer hardware - computers, monitors, keyboards, storage systems, you name it. AND, I found the complete plans to CV-66 - the USS America carrier. The plans comprise dozens of pages rolled up, each about two feet wide by eight feet long.

When I worked at Martin Marietta Aero and Naval Systems in Baltimore years ago, yes, I would dumpster-dive routinely. That genius company would throw out brand new computer hardware - computers, monitors, keyboards, storage systems, you name it. AND, I found the complete plans to CV-66 - the USS America carrier. The plans comprise dozens of pages rolled up, each about two feet wide by eight feet long.
A person could have a great side business with all of those parts. You could sell them on Amazon or even create your own company where you sell the parts.

A person could have a great side business with all of those parts. You could sell them on Amazon or even create your own company where you sell the parts.
A local guy I know here in Rochester did just that and ended up a millionaire. He worked in shipping at Kodak and found dozens of pallets of equipment, some used, some junk, some new were all being hauled off to the dump. He offered to buy the pallets without knowing what was in them for $200 each and somehow Kodak agreed. Kodak got rid of their stuff and he made out. This process repeated pretty often for years.

Sometimes, he made out big. He came across many costly devices including medical devices that were calibrated and in perfect working order which he would sell for huge profit but well below regular prices. This earned him enough on the side that he could rent a big warehouse and quit his dock job.

Over time, his source at Kodak dried up so he changed his business model to recycling electronics. You can't toss electronics out in the dump anymore in New York; you have to have them properly recycled and that's what this guy does now.

A local guy I know here in Rochester did just that and ended up a millionaire. He worked in shipping at Kodak and found dozens of pallets of equipment, some used, some junk, some new were all being hauled off to the dump. He offered to buy the pallets without knowing what was in them for $200 each and somehow Kodak agreed. Kodak got rid of their stuff and he made out. This process repeated pretty often for years.

Sometimes, he made out big. He came across many costly devices including medical devices that were calibrated and in perfect working order which he would sell for huge profit but well below regular prices. This earned him enough on the side that he could rent a big warehouse and quit his dock job.

Over time, his source at Kodak dried up so he changed his business model to recycling electronics. You can't toss electronics out in the dump anymore in New York; you have to have them properly recycled and that's what this guy does now.
I'd be willing to bet that many have had opportunities like this but didn't or don't think about the potential of the situation or do not want to be bothered. One man's trash is another man's treasure!

I have this special scav stick, one end has a 1/4 X3" bolt through it, the other gas a looped nylon rope with a noose, kind of like a lasso or snake stick for stuff you can't get a claw in, like that gallon glass jug full of sheet metal screws or that neat looking lamp.

I have this special scav stick, one end has a 1/4 X3" bolt through it, the other gas a looped nylon rope with a noose, kind of like a lasso or snake stick for stuff you can't get a claw in, like that gallon glass jug full of sheet metal screws or that neat looking lamp.
You were the kid that really got something out of the CLAW machines, WOW!!

… chaps my ass to no end is the food that is tossed
I do not touch it because I have no idea how long ago it was tossed. BUT
WHY??? is the food tossed? If it has expired then give it to the homeless instead of a dumpster
I have seen boxes of bananas, candy bars, jimmy dean sausage, texas toast, pies, milk, p[otato chips, the list goes on and on…
Because your government has made it illegal to do so!

Actually, it’s the store’s decision what to do with it. Some do donate, and donate very generously to food pantries. Food can be donated past date, especially things like canned goods.
Feeding America was the name of one program. The Dollar stores- anyone- can donate and get a tax write off.
Foodlink training materials share how long past date things can still be offered. 18 months on juice. 2-5 years on cans. Depends on the product.
I believe most stores don’t get involved in donation due to concerns of abuse or mismanagement from employees.

Actually, it’s the store’s decision what to do with it. Some do donate, and donate very generously to food pantries. Food can be donated past date, especially things like canned goods.
Feeding America was the name of one program. The Dollar stores- anyone- can donate and get a tax write off.
Foodlink training materials share how long past date things can still be offered. 18 months on juice. 2-5 years on cans. Depends on the product.
I believe most stores don’t get involved in donation due to concerns of abuse or mismanagement from employees.
Some food banks will not accept food past the "best buy" date. Maybe if and when people are starving this will change. I say that, but there are hungry people in America. I do know that many cities have more than one option for meals 3 times a day, 7 days a week. You've got to get there and want to eat what they serve. It is certainly not high end dining, but it will keep a person from starving.

So, I was scrolling through looking for the right thread to post something and came across this dumpster diving thread.

This is so coincidental! Last night I had Thanksgiving dinner with my strep dad’s family and his girlfriend asked us who would want to go dumpster diving with her after a while. She used dumpster diving as a replacement from other stuff and became hooked when she found good stuff. We were worried about the legality but she had all of NC’s dumpster laws saved to her phone and knew what to and not to do. I had never been dumpster diving seriously before and wasn’t sure what to think at first?

Her daughter said yes as did my sister. They also talked my brother and his girlfriend into going. I then agreed to go, taking my grand Cherokee and serve as protection, back up, space if they hit a jackpot, bail them out, I don’t know?

5 of them in a Trail Blazer and me by myself driving around Thanksgiving night to many Winston-Salem shopping centers rear drives going through dumpsters. I would loop around the building looking for trouble but the coast was clear every time. They got a bunch of pictures from an Italian restaurant that must have remodeled, phone cords and chargers from a 5and below, pair of new shoes, new Santa Baby shirt, nice “Welcome to our camper” sign, rings, and a few more things. I got a iPhone cord, new coffee cup and the perfect sized plastic container to hold my potools in my Jeep

We had a blast! Some adrenaline heightened by finding decent stuff, laughing and enjoying doing something together as a family 🥰

I’ll never think of the term “dumpster diving” the same again! Right on time for this thread too! I’m sure I’ll be doing this again.

ED777870-4E6D-4DBF-A6E8-0210FA3B0A31.jpeg

EBA91C02-86B6-4ECE-9D71-E8092B9C6EF3.jpeg

F6AF7448-D50F-474F-BEA2-0D49A88CC014.jpeg

So, I was scrolling through looking for the right thread to post something and came across this dumpster diving thread.

This is so coincidental! Last night I had Thanksgiving dinner with my strep dad’s family and his girlfriend asked us who would want to go dumpster diving with her after a while. She used dumpster diving as a replacement from other stuff and became hooked when she found good stuff. We were worried about the legality but she had all of NC’s dumpster laws saved to her phone and knew what to and not to do. I had never been dumpster diving seriously before and wasn’t sure what to think at first?

Her daughter said yes as did my sister. They also talked my brother and his girlfriend into going. I then agreed to go, taking my grand Cherokee and serve as protection, back up, space if they hit a jackpot, bail them out, I don’t know?

5 of them in a Trail Blazer and me by myself driving around Thanksgiving night to many Winston-Salem shopping centers rear drives going through dumpsters. I would loop around the building looking for trouble but the coast was clear every time. They got a bunch of pictures from an Italian restaurant that must have remodeled, phone cords and chargers from a 5and below, pair of new shoes, new Santa Baby shirt, nice “Welcome to our camper” sign, rings, and a few more things. I got a iPhone cord, new coffee cup and the perfect sized plastic container to hold my potools in my Jeep

We had a blast! Some adrenaline heightened by finding decent stuff, laughing and enjoying doing something together as a family 🥰

I’ll never think of the term “dumpster diving” the same again! Right on time for this thread too! I’m sure I’ll be doing this again.

View attachment 76132
View attachment 76133
View attachment 76134
Topographic maps are food to have on hand.

My son snagged this one from a school dumpster.

20211126_135341.jpg

20211126_135351.jpg

20211126_135404.jpg

Ben

I have never been a dumpster diver, but I am an alley shopper. I check things out in the alley when I see them. I don't always pick up things I see, but sometimes I do. I recently got a trash can, a stainless steel trash can. I also saw a photo of a dresser in an alley that I knew was not trash. It was not easy for me to get it, but I did. Took it home, repainted it, replaced the hardware and it is beautiful and in my entry way. The dresser in the photo is similar, but mine is painted off white and only has 9 drawers, 3 wide, 3 drawers high.
I have also watched Craiglist free. I have gotten boxes of books that I have resold on Amazon and ebay and may $1000's from that. There are many books out there worth nothing, but I have gone through 100's of boxes of books and given away many again.
I have gotten other things for free on Craigslist that were great. I once got so many boxes of canning jars that my car was loaded. I also saw an ad where a company was moving and they had a pallet of toilet paper for free. I went and loaded up my car, and left so much t.p. behind that wouldn't fit in my car.

View attachment 75650View attachment 75651

You need a bigger car.......just sayin:D

You need a bigger car.......just sayin:D
I have a small utility trailer, 4 x 4. There are many things that don't fit in it, but many things do. I use it when I cannot make things fit in my car. I have gotten 4 drawer file cabinets and gotten them in my trunk. (This is a good way to store tools and other things in a garage, and to keep them out of others view. They can be locked as well, added security.) I went to pick some filing cabinets up at one place and a woman said, "Those will never fit in your trunk." I wanted to say, "Watch me." but I didn't. While I got them in the trunk, the trunk did not close and they were in far enough that they weren't going to fall out.

More than once in my life I have gone in after someone who said, "This doesn't fit," and kindly showed them that it does. Spatial relationships are not everyone's forte, but I must have a strong sense of them.

Now days I'd never be able to get into or out of a dumpster, but my ex-MIL did. She had a truck with a canopy cover and would go to apartments taverns and other businesses to get aluminum cans & bottles to sell to the recycling center for cash. She'd also find all kinds of other items, sometimes brand new with price tags.. Clothes, small appliances, tools, tv's, etc

She'd also hit a couple of grocery stores for anything that was still good. Lots of produce, and bakery items.

I have gotten a few roadside pick up items before and put them to good use. Like a small truck canopy that was used as a chicken tractor, a 6ft+ metal stand that I string for pole beans, and put my sprinkler on so it reaches further, tires for planting in, etc

I love finding freebies or even cheapies.

Now days I'd never be able to get into or out of a dumpster, but my ex-MIL did. She had a truck with a canopy cover and would go to apartments taverns and other businesses to get aluminum cans & bottles to sell to the recycling center for cash. She'd also find all kinds of other items, sometimes brand new with price tags.. Clothes, small appliances, tools, tv's, etc

She'd also hit a couple of grocery stores for anything that was still good. Lots of produce, and bakery items.

I have gotten a few roadside pick up items before and put them to good use. Like a small truck canopy that was used as a chicken tractor, a 6ft+ metal stand that I string for pole beans, and put my sprinkler on so it reaches further, tires for planting in, etc

I love finding freebies or even cheapies.
I have never tried to get into dumpsters. I 'd probably get in and never be able to get out. I think some people use ladders or special grabbing tools to grab stuff.

I've known people who were regular dumpster divers. One good dumpster find can be more than one person can deal with at one time, especially when people are getting ready to move. Americans throw out a lot of brand new stuff with the price tags still on it. Many people have no concept of recycle, reuse, repurpose or use it up and many don't care to know. I donate as much stuff as I can. If you've never been truly poor, it is hard to understand how the poor live or how to live without the latest and the greatest.

I have got to find my old pics.
Howabout a list? everybody loves lists.
If you're doing it serious, you need:
A cooler and some home made cold packs. {Towels frozen in bags}
Kevlar skinning gloves.
Vinyl gloves to wear under them.
A chemical handler's apron.
your bag hook.
A monkey wrench.
A hacksaw.
A crowbar.
bolt cutters.
Bear guard for them pesky junkyard/feral dogs.
A small concealable pistol for possibly violent street people who might not take to you scavving their territory.
or gang bangers who think you look like an easy target because you're scavving.
And if you're going after wire and copper pipe and old furniture, the owner's written permission carried on your person while on the premises, it must include their phone number!
A medium sized medical kit.
Vapor grade respirator because sometimes you're a day or two late, BUT, the worse it stinks, the less likely its been picked through!

Latest posts

Back