Embroidery

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to do it all. Sewed everything, cross stitched, embroidered,macrame, knitted all the mitts, socks and sweaters and made one and one only, queen sized quilt. This quilt was completely cross stitched in minute detail and hand quilted (no machine) with sheep wool batting that I sheared washed and carded myself. It took me six years. Then one of hubby's pens leaked Blue ink all over it. Enough said.

I used to do it all. Sewed everything, cross stitched, embroidered,macrame, knitted all the mitts, socks and sweaters and made one and one only, queen sized quilt. This quilt was completely cross stitched in minute detail and hand quilted (no machine) with sheep wool batting that I sheared washed and carded myself. It took me six years. Then one of hubby's pens leaked Blue ink all over it. Enough said.
That would have broke my heart :( I have only done machine quilting and that took long enough . . .

When I was in the Navy I worked in an electronics shop.
We repaired radar jammers and detectors.
It was after Nam (1976) and no airplanes were getting shot at so they didn't really care if the stuff was working or not.
As a result we had a lot of free time so we all took up embroidery.
It drove our shop chief insane so it was even more fun.
20 Sailors sitting around doing women's stuff, as he called it.:D
Somewhere my wife still has a shirt I embroiderer for her.
It has a giant peacock on the back.

I do my quilting with a checkbook! I know that isn't right but doing the tops is enough for me to handle.
That's how my mother in law got her momma done too :). I never got to meet Great Mother, but my MIL passed along a quilt she had done and also a quilt that she had done a lot of cross stitching on. All hand done. I have one on the guest bed now and its beautiful.

All these are so neat to hear. That quilt top might be saved if you put cheap hairspray on it to get the ink out. I would have just sat down and cried, and then later cried again about that after all that work.

And embroidery while on duty, that's super neat.

I've done some regular hand embroidery, cross stitch and machine embroidery (it's been sitting for awhile). I've sewn by hand, but mostly by machine.
I crochet mostly for my yarn crafting; but have knitted one pair of socks on 4 or 5 needles just to prove that I could do it.
I need to knit another pair, but for me I cannot pick and and put them down between doing 19 other things.

Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men Hardcover – 1973. Detailed how-to book on the craft of needlepoint by the famed 1970s football player Rosey Grier, aimed at the men in the audience.
I could not stay still long enough to learn this skill, sewing buttons & scout patches was the best I have done, so far.

I have done lots of different kinds of hand work. I have embroidered, cross stitch, knitting, crochet, quilting, spinning, dying, weaving, sewing, stained glass work, pine cone wreaths. I sewed my own clothing for years because of how difficult it was for me to find clothing that fit well. I was always tall and thin, like my mother and her mother, my grandmother. By the time I found something long enough, it would wrap around me twice. I have made coats and jackets for myself.
Now I am going through my materials and unfinished projects, trying to get things finished up. I had 2 counted cross stitch pieces that I had started 30 years ago. I worked on them for almost a year to get them finished. I will never start another counted cross stitch piece. I remember threading the needles for my grandmothers, and now I know why they would ask me to do that for them.

I embroidered a lot as a teen and less often as a mom. My jeans saw the glory of my stitching. One day, while I was at school, those jeans disappeared forever. They had butterflies the size of my small hands on them. I'd sew the butterflies in different stitches onto a patch of lighter weight cotton and then sew the patch onto the jeans.
It's weird, but as far as I know, my grandmothers were not seamstresses. Maybe they had to do it a long time ago and with modernization and money, they didn't have to anymore.

I embroidered a lot as a teen and less often as a mom. My jeans saw the glory of my stitching. One day, while I was at school, those jeans disappeared forever. They had butterflies the size of my small hands on them. I'd sew the butterflies in different stitches onto a patch of lighter weight cotton and then sew the patch onto the jeans.
It's weird, but as far as I know, my grandmothers were not seamstresses. Maybe they had to do it a long time ago and with modernization and money, they didn't have to anymore.

I started embroidering when I was fairly young, maybe 5 or 6. Like many children, I kept putting my needle and thread around and getting it messed up, but eventually figured it out.
I remember when I was in college that there were a few girls who kept embroidering their jeans. If they got worn or had a hole in them, they would repair them with the addition of embroidery.
I have embroidered dish towel sets and quilt blocks, and have lots of thread and embroidery supplies, but have too many interests. I am in the process of trying to finish projects that I have started.

I have too many interests too, Weedygarden! Yes, I keep telling myself to go ahead and finish what needs to be finished, use up what I bought the supplies for making (like the patterns and fabric for clothing). To not buy anything else until I get some of this stuff DONE.
I have some wax and partially used candles that I have been wanting to remake into candles. My daughter had the same thing. She showed me a wax pitcher for melting wax that she wanted just before Christmas. I went to Hobby Lobby and realized their pitcher was twice the price of the one she showed me. I got her wicks and metal clips to hold the wicks down. She got me the pitcher for Christmas. Now we have what we need and she is working on her candles. It was kind of fun to realize we separately worked on these supplies, and we each got a piece of it.

When I was in the Navy I worked in an electronics shop.
We repaired radar jammers and detectors.
It was after Nam (1976) and no airplanes were getting shot at so they didn't really care if the stuff was working or not.
As a result we had a lot of free time so we all took up embroidery.
It drove our shop chief insane so it was even more fun.
20 Sailors sitting around doing women's stuff, as he called it.:D
Somewhere my wife still has a shirt I embroiderer for her.
It has a giant peacock on the back.
The late great Rosie Greer(football player) did needle point before games.
He said it relaxed him. Made him more focused for the game.
One of his needle points sold for $1.5 million dollars. Early piece .

I hand embrodiery each birth announcement for each baby in the family.
Also do wedding announcements in the bride's colors.
Sometimes free handed some times with Jack Dempsey's quilt blocks, sometimes with iron on transfers.
It relaxes me.
If there is a way you could share your work without displaying private information, we'd love to see it. I found some neat patterns for Bless This Home and a nice verse with it, as well as a nice birth announcement in needlework. I think it was cross stitch.
It sounds like you are very creative.

Sorry to hear about knees. Both my knees are very unstable but Doc passed on replacement because ---- wait for it ---- there is no arthritis. So I do hope they are able to get your knee fixed up.

Latest posts

Back