Fall/Winter Preparations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest building a plywood floor on pallets or using a thick layer of straw underneath your tents floor for insulation. Once the snow starts coming, pile it on the sidewalls of the tent for added insulation.

Can your tent be fitted for a small wood stove like the one below?
View attachment 73368

I live in Alabama so snow is pretty much non-existent around here. It'll be more of a temporary shelter deal until I get my home put out there.

I...

Switch HVAC from cooling to heating

Plant garlic

Move the potted citrus tree from the front deck into the front porch

Swap the tires on the Princess's car to snow tires

Start looking at the trees to plan the winter pruning.

Ben

We've had a little bit of Ice/frost every day this week, last couple of mornings have been in the 20's. It won't be long before I have to dig out a jacket... Winter is coming on fast... ;)

Dig out a jacket? I dig one out at 35 when I'm feeding animals. Even at 40. It's about 35 here right now.
A buddy of mine who worked outside doing construction told me that once you put on the coat you are married to it for the season, I learned over the years that a loose long sleeve flannel shirt will carry me a long way into the season (as long as it is dry). I force myself to endure a little cold before giving in...

I have spent a couple days sitting in a tree in -4F weather and it was a struggle for me to stay still and warm. Moving around doing work was fine, but to sit perfectly still while freezing is not easy...

The fact is you can get life-threatening hypothermia even at 60 and 70F

I hold out as long as I can before going to a coat. Flannel does a good job, maybe a sweatshirt or windbreaker. But the coat waits on the 20s unless I'm gonna be out for an extended time. I came out in a t shirt and sweatshirt this morning, 30s. Came out of the sweatshirt once I got to working and warmed up a little.
I'd rather be a little cool and not be sweating heavily. That will cause hypothermia. Wet and wind are as bad or worse than temps are for it

Wonder if the winter is going to be worse this year as I have a larger amount of firewood stored this year, been working on it for the past few weeks, most of the wood is two years old or longer, perfectly dry.
I have heard the same

A thought - my son is a civil war reenactor and they live in period tents for events. On their supply list is a rubber "tarp" that is put on the ground , canvas duck cloth like tent on top. Of course plastic was not around in th e 1800s, but it seems rubber would be more durable. There are reenacting supply stores on line. Might be worth looking into to see if there would be an advantage. If only to go under the sleeping area.

Stepped outside tonight and the air was thick with chimney smoke... Heck it's not even freezing and people are burning their firewood.... If a bad winter hits they will be out of wood before they ever really need it...

My Mother pasted away April 2020. She was using my well on the farm, because she did not have the money to fix hers.
Her four house guess who where paying the same rent I paid her in 1980(39yr ago), would not kick in to repair her well.
I let my sister who took really good care of our mother, keep using the water.
Soooo, I called my brother who is not married & staying at the house, he said he is winterizing the pump & did not need money or my help.
Still maybe I should go out there before we have a freeze.

Stepped outside tonight and the air was thick with chimney smoke... Heck it's not even freezing and people are burning their firewood.... If a bad winter hits they will be out of wood before they ever really need it...
Our woodstove is the ONLY heat we use! Luckily we have an endless supply of wood as long as we are able to cut and split it!! We had one light freeze the other night and a few in the low 40's, definitely burned the woodstove! We have very good insulation, but the house would have cooled off too much without a little heat burning!🔥

Thanks for the welcome. For those of you clearing out your raised beds/gardens....if you have Comfrey growing (every homestead should have this plant IMO - also known as knitbone, and yes...it does) - the leaves offer one of the best nutrition for the soil. The plants get so big I have plenty to tincture, save for poultices or to make tea.... I use about 1/3! I then cut leaves off and throw them on the garden to till into the soil come spring. If any of you were my neighbor you would be welcome to some.

Thanks for the welcome. For those of you clearing out your raised beds/gardens....if you have Comfrey growing (every homestead should have this plant IMO - also known as knitbone, and yes...it does) - the leaves offer one of the best nutrition for the soil. The plants get so big I have plenty to tincture, save for poultices or to make tea.... I use about 1/3! I then cut leaves off and throw them on the garden to till into the soil come spring. If any of you were my neighbor you would be welcome to some.

Sounds like a plant I need to get going next year

Latest posts

Back