Favorite Christian Music

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No luck, not even showing how long the track is.

D29707D5-5B58-4FFF-A038-6559958A53A3.jpeg

@Peanut , it is not a song I've ever heard before. It seems to me to be one of the kinds of songs that we would hear on one of those Gospel song fests on television on Saturday evenings. Or maybe churches in the South?

I was raised Catholic and the songs that we sang were fairly limited and I knew them well, much like I know the Lord's Prayer, Apostle's Creed, and sadly, Hail Mary (not!).

I am now attending a Lutheran Church. I would never have thought that I would end up there! The pastor has been there for 1 1/2 years and he was definitely called by God. The man is such a blessing! I love the bible studies and discussions about Christian life.

For about 10 years I attended a non-denominational church where the music was modern praise and worship music, much like what I have shared here. I have many of the WOW CD's, which are CD's with the best Christian praise and worship songs each year by their recording artists.

Interesting discussions at church when we have coffee and before and after our studies. People who have been Lutheran's their whole lives LOVE the old Lutheran songs. Every Sunday at service, I am hearing and trying to sing about 4 songs that I have never even heard before. They are not songs that I can put in my CD player and listen to and learn. I don't think they exist on CD. What I hear from the people who have been Lutheran's their whole life is how much they dislike praise music. It is easy for me to follow along and to sing along.

I think probably what we are raised with becomes a part of us, but the music from my Catholic days does not even stick in my memory. It is the music from the past couple decades that I gravitate to. Michael W. Smith, Nicole C. Mullins, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, Don Moen.

this is video of a non christian guy who has a channel using music and words to uplift people, bring folks together, seems ie a neat guy. one of his fol;ks is going thru a hard time and asked him to play this song in case it can help others. it is a simple but very powerful song, the guy just breaks down. brought tears to my eyes too.

here is link to video

here is link to just the song - truth be told

One of the earliest contemporary Christian songs, written and performed by a Jewish guy.

Story behind Spirit in the Sky

My minister brother did not like the lyrics, "Never been a sinner, I never sinned" I believe he thought it presumptuous.

I think of it this way.

Through the Blood of Jesus, I am justified, made righteous, just as if I had never sinned.

"Much more then, because we have now been declared righteous by his blood, we will be saved through him from God's wrath." (Romans 5:9 NET)

Last edited:
My favorite songs change from season to season.

When I miscarried my first baby back in 2012 it was "Packing My Bags". My grief and anger were so deep, I literally almost turned my back on the Lord. He never left me though. He chased me, and reminded me that He was there. Not just through music, but through sermons, and friends and family.

"Worn" fits right now. Without going into detail...with all that my husband and I have going on, I'm exhausted. However, I know where my rest comes from.

Hey @Patchouli Here's an instrumental version of amazing grace done bluegrass style, great picking, since you have a mandolin in the house I though I'd post it. Don't know who the pickers are, found it on my computer tonight. The lead off instrument is a mandolin, beautiful.

For your picker... The first 3 breaks are in the key of C played by mandolin, dobro, flat top in that order. Just before the fiddle break it steps up to the key of D and finishes there. (fiddlers usually avoid the key of c)

@Patchouli Here's another with the same musicians as on amazing grace. Very good mandolin picking.

The song is "I'll fly Away" in the key of G. A good fiddle key so this song is played in G start to finish.

There are two version of "I'll fly Away" played in bluegrass. This one has an E minor chord near the end of the chorus the other without the Em. The Em is really quick, only 2 beats. The way I play it it sounds like one beat followed by a transition strum(parts of 2 chords). I play the song both ways but prefer this version.

Last edited:
I’ve heard this kind of singing before, when I was a kid. Way out here in the country. I've been to churches with no piano or piano player.

This recording was played during Ken Burns film The Civil War. The lady singing is Bernice Reagon. She grew up poor in south Georgia… church didn’t have a piano. The song is "We are Climbing Jacobs Ladder".

This file has been on my computer since 3 computers ago. Just found it again, sorry if I posted it before. Think it's worth a re-listen though.

Traditionally known a Acapella: without instrumental accompaniment.

A Cappella Has Italian Roots

A cappella arrived in English from Italian sometime around the late-18th century. In Italian, a cappella means "in chapel or choir style." Cappella is the Italian word for "chapel"; the English word chapel is ultimately (if independently) derived from the Medieval Latin word cappella, which is the source of the Italian cappella as well. Scholars once thought all "chapel style" music written before the 1600s was performed a cappella, but modern research has revealed that instruments might have doubled or substituted for some voices back then. Today a cappella describes a purely vocal performance.

It is a beautiful piece. As soon as you mentioned Ken Burns Civil War, I thought this would be the one.

Latest posts

Back