Food Price Thread

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we get snowed in here for a couple of weeks at a time, and run out of bacon, we'll substitute Spam. Fried up its pretty good.
Same here! Theres also a egg-shaped tin of ham with a jelly around it that fries well.

I keep shop bought pastry for meat pies in the freezer for 'emergencies'. I had a good stock of shortcrust, so haven't bought it in a while. It went from 99c to 1.05 in Lidl after Covid; which I thought was ok- it remained the same size, and on the scale of things it wasn't the worse jump of price. Other supermarkets its more like 3- 4, or they don't sell it at all. I do and can make my own, but normally for sweet stuff.
However I picked up two yesterday - its jumped to 1.35 at some point!

I can't quote any prices because I'm a guy & I just follow the lists that I'm given. But I did spend a little over $200 at Sam's yesterday & 2 days before that I spent $50 at Walmart. And yesterday afternoon my wife came in with 4 bags of groceries (no idea how much she spent). Maybe it's my mind failing but I can remember when spending $250 would buy enough food to last 2 week & long before that it would have lasted a month.

I can't quote any prices because I'm a guy & I just follow the lists that I'm given. But I did spend a little over $200 at Sam's yesterday & 2 days before that I spent $50 at Walmart. And yesterday afternoon my wife came in with 4 bags of groceries (no idea how much she spent). Maybe it's my mind failing but I can remember when spending $250 would buy enough food to last 2 week & long before that it would have lasted a month.
I just added up my groceries for April - just shy of $219 which included 10# of cheese which will last more than a month. It hasn't happened over night. I've worked for years developing our pantry and systems. Of course in late fall, we will have 1 month when our grocery bill will be a couple thousand dollars - that's when we get our beef.

Back