Food you hated as a kid.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As I get older I have found I really like some of the foods I hated as a kid.
A partial list.
Asparagus. The season is about to start here and I can't wait.
SPAM
Peas
Lima beans with ham I can't find that anymore.
Liver and onions. For some strange reason I have been wanting that. Not sure I will like it but I have a craving.
Spicy foods of all kinds.
I'll add to the list as I remember.
What about you all?

Spinach, canned. I love spinach but I can't eat canned spinach. Frozen or fresh is wonderful in salads or steamed.

One of the things I did as a child was to do my best to eat everything that was served. It took the heat off from the narc grandmother. She probably disliked more food than I ever did.
I am not crazy about mushrooms. The list of foods that I didn't like and don't like has always been really small, 3 or 4 items. I cannot even think of anything else that I am not crazy about now.

Bell Pepper, as a kid I hated hated hated them, I could smell one as soon as I walked in the door. My mom tried to out smart me by cutting it into really fine pieces and slipping it into tomato sauce... talk about a way to ruin spaghetti!

My DW loves bell pepper, but we have come to an arrangement, if the slices are big enough that I can easily see and remove them then I will tolerate them. Today, I will even grow bell pepper in the garden for the wife... I can still smell it when I walk in the door, but it isn't worth making her unhappy so I will endure it. ;)

I hate calf slobber on a pie (meringue). Being a true southerner I love banana puddin'. Best way to ruin banana puddin' is put calf slobber on it. As a kid I took pains to wipe all of it off anything I might eat, every last bit. Refused to eat it, don't care for it now either.

My mom used to make a special K loaf. It was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten. We would have to sit at the table until we finished it, so my brother and I got creative and started hiding pieces in the armoire and under our seat cushions. Needless to say when it was found… it was petrified! We didn’t use the armoire much. 🤣

Liver and onions. I still hate liver. Stuffed bell pepper...I'll only eat bell pepper in little pieces now. Stewed tomatoes. Mom couldn't cook, but when she did, you could count on big hunks of stewed tomatoes. Rare beef that was bleeding red. I'll eat rare meat now, but not quite that. It was a boyfriend she had at the time that insisted it being almost raw.

Liver and onions. I still hate liver.
+1
If I am ever accidentally poisoned, skip the syrup of ipecac, just feed me some liver.
I have never eaten it without spontaneous regurgitation.:barf:
(Yes, they tried to feed it to me again, and again, as a kid)

Last edited:
I'm allergic to something in Spam/treet and the generic stuff, I like asparagus once in a while, I'm pretty much good with anything not involving animal testicles.
Bring on the broccoli, Lima beans and liver, I grew up on it. Brussel sprouts, not so much, but with enough cheese I'll eat anything.

...We would have to sit at the table until we finished it, so my brother and I got creative and ... 🤣
A story I used to tell about my sister. When my mom made her eat something she didn't like... She'd put it in her mouth and chew it... but refused to swallow it. She looked like a giant deformed chipmunk with bulging cheeks! I would laugh first, then mom would laugh. Then mom would yell at me for making her laugh while scolding my sis!

Last edited:
My taste really hasn't changed since I was a kid. I was always a moderately picky vegetable eater, and I still am. The vegetables I hated as a kid I still hate: broccoli, cauliflower, peas, brussels sprouts, lima beans, zucchini. I'm sure I could think of others. Mushrooms are disgusting. I have said it here before, and I will say it again. I didn't eat them for my Mother, and I'm not eating them for you.

Bell Pepper, as a kid I hated hated hated them, I could smell one as soon as I walked in the door. My mom tried to out smart me by cutting it into really fine pieces and slipping it into tomato sauce... talk about a way to ruin spaghetti!

My DW loves bell pepper, but we have come to an arrangement, if the slices are big enough that I can easily see and remove them then I will tolerate them. Today, I will even grow bell pepper in the garden for the wife... I can still smell it when I walk in the door, but it isn't worth making her unhappy so I will endure it. ;)
One of my brothers says that any and all peppers bother him. He says he burps them and tastes them for hours after eating anything with any peppers in them. I love them.

My taste really hasn't changed since I was a kid. I was always a moderately picky vegetable eater, and I still am. The vegetables I hated as a kid I still hate: broccoli, cauliflower, peas, brussels sprouts, lima beans, zucchini. I'm sure I could think of others. Mushrooms are disgusting. I have said it here before, and I will say it again. I didn't eat them for my Mother, and I'm not eating them for you.
I'm trying to figure out what vegetables you do eat. Potatoes, corn, green beans, carrots?

Brussel sprouts.... Not then, not now! Lima beans👎. I need to start a thread of foods we liked as kids! I liked/ like liver and onions and broccoli! I did not like SNAPPING TURTLE SOUP, often made at our neighbor's during big gatherings! Yucky green slop!!😱🤮🤮
I don't consider turtle edible.

Rutabagas. Once in awhile my dad would cook. Most of the time, it was good food, but when he made stew he'd put just about everything in there, including turnips & rutabagas. I haven't eaten either since I left home, but I think I might handle turnips.
Canned spinach is another one. That was the only way my mother would serve it, it was ok but I like fresh that is used raw in salads or lightly steamed or added to a bowl of wonton or war mien soup

I've always like liver & onions, though I can't stand the smell of it and I'll only eat it if I've made it. Kinda the same with oysters, I'll eat them if I've cooked them. Though I only like the yearlings that are about the size of a quarter, dredged in a seasoned cornmeal and flour mix and fried. I don't like the larger ones.

Kinda the same with oysters, I'll eat them if I've cooked them. Though I only like the yearlings that are about the size of a quarter, dredged in a seasoned cornmeal and flour mix and fried. I don't like the larger ones.
Yep. Only oysters I can eat are the small smoked ones in a can.
It's odd, we are swimming in oysters down here, and there are none for me to eat. :(
Yummy!:D:
D869_39_565_1200.jpg

As a kid I hated spinach, okra, asparagus, meatloaf and cantaloupe. Now I love them all.

Liver I didn't like either, but I still don't like it, so I guess it doesn't count. Muscle I can eat. But I think anything that was once an organ ... not. Connective tissue - like tendons and stuff (you find these in some Vietnamese dishes) - are a NoGo as well. And raspberries and licorice.

I am a weird one. I hated fruit as a kid. All kinds. Still do. I force myself to eat some now and again but I don't like it.

I didn't like Brussels sprouts or asparagus but it turns out it was how it was being prepared. I hate veggies boiled til they are mushy and that is how my mom cooked a lot of veggies.

I don't consider turtle edible.
I really won't eat any cold blooded creatures other than some fish, it's my feeling that things like turtle, frogs and snakes potentially carry some diseases that could be harmful to me, I actually follow a blood type diet and with my blood type, it pretty much follows the Levitical food laws.

My parents put virtually no effort into preparing meals, and they never really learned to cook. So peas, spinach, corn, asparagus and other veggies all came from cans. Naturally, I hated the canned stuff and it wasn't until later in life that I discovered fresh veggies are amazing and delicious. As a kid, I hated mayonnaise...and again learned that what I really hated was Miracle Whip that my parents called mayo. Turns out mayo is just fine. But I still hate Miracle Whip.

In school, the worst meal I can recall was soggy fish sticks. There was a lot of bad school food, but those fish sticks were the most diabolically awful things.

Lima beans...........................ICK, those are disgusting! Then and now, pretty much any veggie was fair game, I like them all, some more than others.

Rutabagas

Bring them on, love them.

Oysters, ahhhh yes, I like them on the grill. Set them on there until the shell pops open on it's own and let them slide on down right out of the shell.

Latest posts

Back