Food you hated as a kid.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to figure out what vegetables you do eat. Potatoes, corn, green beans, carrots?

Yes. All of those. Spinach. I know. Very unusual for such a picky vegetable eater to like spinach. Asparagus, Beets, most of the leafy green vegetables. I love salad. Somehow I have made it this far and stayed pretty healthy. My blood pressure is good and my cholesterol is sinfully low. My doctor tells me both are much better than I deserve.

I like raw oysters with Tabasco sauce. I eat sushi too.

Now that is something I have changed, but not because I don't like them. I love oysters. Used to get them on the half shell all the time. Then I read that oyster beds were getting polluted, and people were getting hepatitis from raw oysters. I still like them but opt for cooked Oysters Rockefeller.

I did not like SNAPPING TURTLE SOUP, often made at our neighbor's during big gatherings! Yucky green slop!!😱🤮🤮

That is so funny, you got me to thinking about the time my dad caught a snapping turtle while fishing for catfish. He had no idea what he was doing, as he was trying to get that thing open by lantern light, the next thing you know the turtle had a hold of him, the hollering and going on was terrifyingly funny. I don't know all the tools involved before it was all said and done, but I do know that only the dogs ended up eating that turtle... Thinking back on it alcohol may have been involved....

You just need a good one to start with.
A whole lot of good meat in this one, tastes like chicken!:p
All of it tastes like a mouth full of warm crap to me, I've tried several, from several different cooks, all the same.
and I've eaten cane rat on a stick and rattlesnake! Now snake tastes like chicken!
I hate turnips and rutabagas too, but oddly I adore the greens and I will eat them cold pickled, but any other way,
the very smell of them cooking makes me sick. no idea why.

Last edited:
I love liver, always have. Spinach as well. Maybe I have a borderline iron deficiency?
Or maybe I'm a vampire. LOL
No. too fat and ugly to be a vampire. LOL

All of it tastes like a mouth full of warm crap to me, I've tried several, from several different cooks, all the same.
and I've eaten cane rat on a stick and rattlesnake! Now snake tastes like chicken!
I hate turnips and rutabagas too, but oddly I adore the greens and I will eat them cold pickled, but any other way,
the very smell of them cooking makes me sick. no idea why.

Now I have a mind worm going through my head. An old Monty Python ditty:

Fish heads, fish heads,
Rolly polly fish heads,
Eat them up,
Yum.

Lutefisk, pickled pigs feet, brains and prairie oysters. We never saw any store bought food and ate nose to tail.
We ranch the foothills and bush, I could never figure out why they got that name, they are better the more beer you drink, but I will second your list, And add rice, damn that crap annoys me

I really won't eat any cold blooded creatures other than some fish, it's my feeling that things like turtle, frogs and snakes potentially carry some diseases that could be harmful to me, I actually follow a blood type diet and with my blood type, it pretty much follows the Levitical food laws.
I refuse to consume any meat from another predator, grass eaters only on my plate.
Predators carry worms, TB and trichinosis.

Sautee it in green peppers, mushrooms and onions.
it kills the smell, it smells a bit like hamburgers.

I hated liver growing up. Found out it was just how it was cooked. Wife does a great job with it, we don't have it a lot but it is very good.
I do and always have detested cooked greens of any kind. But other than kale will eat most any raw green.
I wasn't wild about cooked greens as a child either, but it was how they were cooked. As an adult I like it. I was just thinking today that it is something that I like to cook from fresh greens, with bacon, and the day may come when I will not have bacon to cook it with. I like bacon in my beans as well, but sometimes have other meat in them, such as ham hocks.

Latest posts

Back