Free Food From God

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We've had several threads regarding wild edibles. Consequently, I would like to share some photos of the common edible and delicious mushrooms we collect in our area. It goes without saying that collecting and eating wild mushrooms can be somewhat dangerous if you are not familiar with the species that you are collecting. Because of this, we collect mushrooms that are pretty much unmistakable when it comes to their ID. In other words, there are not any other mushrooms that look similar to the ones we harvest - at least in our area. As always, before you venture out on a mushroom hunt, prepare yourself first with some instruction from a knowledgeable, experienced guide or by taking an identification class. Lastly, a good mushroom ID handbook in invaluable. The handbook we use is the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. (All photos are ours)

Oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus)
shroom001.jpg

100_0249.jpg

Blue milk mushroom (Lactarius indigo)
100_7975.jpg

indigomilky.jpg

Old Man of the Woods (Strobilomyces floccopus)
100_9647.jpg

100_7818.jpg

100_7762.jpg

100_5484.jpg

Chicken of the Forest mushroom or sulfur shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus)
100_1541.jpg

1710428003828.png

Last edited:
Lobster mushroom (Hypomyces lactifluorum)
lobster2.jpg

100_6173.jpg

Morel mushroom (Morchella esculenta)
100_5109.jpg

Puff balls (many species)
Puffballs.jpg

Besides mushrooms we collect and eat a variety of wild berries, purslane, lambs quarter, hazel nuts, acorns fiddleheads, ramps, dandelion, wild rice, and cattails. I'm probably forgetting a few. Of course, the lakes and forests that surround our home are abundant with wildlife, especially fish, deer, and wild turkey.
1710428068525.png

Last edited:
I dont know much about mushrooms but an expert who was running a course on the subject told me there are far more types that will kill you (or put you in hospital at the very least) than are edible, so unless you know what your doing leave them alone.

I dont know much about mushrooms but an expert who was running a course on the subject told me there are far more types that will kill you (or put you in hospital at the very least) than are edible, so unless you know what your doing leave them alone.
I'd agree. The mushrooms we collect are easily identified and have no look-a-likes.

I'd agree. The mushrooms we collect are easily identified and have no look-a-likes.
I'm not mad on mushrooms, I might have a couple of small ones with a fry up but I'm not bothered if they arent available.
did pick some horse mushrooms many years ago and gave to the local homeless shelter.

Just don't pick up any horse apples for the homeless shelter.
Horse apples around here are the fruit from the bois d’arc tree. They are huge, round, knobby/bumpy. As far as I know they are not edible.
One year we had a few choice edible mushrooms in the yard. They were excellent and easily identifiable.
Nice selections of groceries ya got there! @Cabin Fever

Horse apples around here are the fruit from the bois d’arc tree. They are huge, round, knobby/bumpy. As far as I know they are not edible.
One year we had a few choice edible mushrooms in the yard. They were excellent and easily identifiable.
My wife calls those, "Osage Oranges."

Is that the same tree called Osage orange?. Fruir sure sounds like it

Latest posts

Back