Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got cold here, high 50F today & a friend called me 8:00 this morning to say "It is too cold, we can do the work another day."
So I guess we will do it after the Holidays.

What’s up Mr train man?😬???? How are you? How’s the family? Ready for Christmas?
I fell asleep at 6:30 last night for some reason and slept like the dead. I startled awake at 9:45 and I slept so hard I thought it was 9:45 AM. Now I'm wide awake. Did some dishes, puttered around the kitchen, there's a Lethal Weapon movie marathon on TV, and I'm farting around on the forum. How are you doing?

I fell asleep at 6:30 last night for some reason and slept like the dead. I startled awake at 9:45 and I slept so hard I thought it was 9:45 AM. Now I'm wide awake. Did some dishes, puttered around the kitchen, there's a Lethal Weapon movie marathon on TV, and I'm farting around on the forum. How are you doing?
And my daughter left with her mom for Christmas so I'm on my own until Christmas day, to answer your other question. Going to see mom and pops and all my siblings will be together.

And my daughter left with her mom for Christmas so I'm on my own until Christmas day, to answer your other question. Going to see mom and pops and all my siblings will be together.
I’m sorry your daughters not with you but glad you’ll be with family. I get my husband home for the first time in a while. New Years also. Feeling blessed this year

I hate it when that happens. Can you come finish my dishes?😉
Doing ok. Just finished late dinner. Searching online for a new blender or whatever it is I need. It’s supposed to start storming again and they claim it may even snow here next week. Highly doubt it but we shall see.
Are you north of interstate 80 in Cali? Or are you just at high elevation, where you can get snow?

I've spent a lot of winter months between Sacramento and the Bay working on the main line that runs through there. I know all those towns, Dixon, Fairfield, Suisun City, etc. It gets wet and cold at night there. And I've worked in Modesto and Stockton too. That wasn't so bad for weather when I was there. It's nicer than Iowa, that's for sure. It's everything else that drives me nuts when I'm there.😉

Yes that’s where we’re looking. I’m trying to figure out how to plan a trip to check it out.
I’ve been following the weather in the counties were looking at to get an idea of what to expect.
I can tell you a lot of it. It's probably quite a bit colder in winter than you're used to. It'll be below freezing at night but in the 30s, maybe low 40s daytime. It snows, even blizzards, but not the same accumulation we get up north. And it doesn't stick for that long. Ice storms can be a problem - have your generator handy, because ice accumulation can knock out rural power for a couple days.

I've never been down there in spring, but summers are hot and humid with wicked thunderstorms. The air gets so thick with humidity it sticks to you. Fall can be gorgeous! The humidity goes away and all those beautiful green trees get their color.

It’s been warmer in Missouri than here but this isn’t a “normal” winter for us so far here either. I can’t remember the last time we’ve had wet weather like this the end of the year. We’re barely feeding hay which is nice but weird. Good thing since everything is so darn expensive. Went to buy a load of hay because we couldn’t cut our fields last year due to drought and the cheapest hay was $16.75 per square bale.

Humidity I'm not sure how that is to be in. It’s been “humid” here but i think that’s not really “humid”. Lol Otherwise the rest sounds manageable. I think there will be a HUGE learning curve for gardening etc however.
Westerners generally don't deal with Midwestern humidity very well at first. I don't think there's anything in Cali that compares to it. The air gets really heavy and your sweat doesn't cool you off. Out west people wear long sleeves to keep the sun off and when you sweat in long sleeves it cools you. Out here it just traps the heat. I'm constantly yelling at westerner coworkers to ditch their long sleeves when they complain about the heat here.

It’s been warmer in Missouri than here but this isn’t a “normal” winter for us so far here either. I can’t remember the last time we’ve had wet weather like this the end of the year. We’re barely feeding hay which is nice but weird. Good thing since everything is so darn expensive. Went to buy a load of hay because we couldn’t cut our fields last year due to drought and the cheapest hay was $16.75 per square bale.
Wait - is that for small squares, like 75 pounds? Holy cow. Those bring 4 or 5 bucks here at hay auctions. Maybe 7 or 8 in late winter when everybody's out...

Westerners generally don't deal with Midwestern humidity very well at first. I don't think there's anything in Cali that compares to it. The air gets really heavy and your sweat doesn't cool you off. Out west people wear long sleeves to keep the sun off and when you sweat in long sleeves it cools you. Out here it just traps the heat. I'm constantly yelling at westerner coworkers to ditch their long sleeves when they complain about the heat here.

You’d definitely be yellin at me then! I rely on long sleeve shirts in the heat. Will definitely have a transition on that one as well. When I went to Mississippi years back it was winter. 🥶 That’s the only time I’ve been that direction any

You’d definitely be yellin at me then! I rely on long sleeve shirts in the heat. Will definitely have a transition on that one as well. When I went to Mississippi years back it was winter. 🥶 That’s the only time I’ve been that direction any
If you really need long sleeves, very light cotton shirts in light colors can work. But it's better to just suck it up and go sleeveless. Let the body heat get away from your armpits and neck. Put cool water ot your neck often, wear a wide brim hat, and use sunscreen or you'll be a crispy critter.😉

If you really need long sleeves, very light cotton shirts in light colors can work. But it's better to just suck it up and go sleeveless. Let the body heat get away from your armpits and neck. Put cool water ot your neck often, wear a wide brim hat, and use sunscreen or you'll be a crispy critter.😉
These days I usually wear a light undershirt and a “light” long sleeve western shirt. More for sun protection than anything I guess. I’ve yet to find a sunscreen that doesn’t allow me to turn lobster in minutes.

Latest posts

Back