Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking Bear will be close to that size. Didn't you mention once that Joe had some Pyrenees in him?
Yes, he was 1/8 GP, 7/8 GSD. It where he got his size. At about 3yrs, he was trim, athletic about 105lbs, When he got older he added another 10-12lbs. And he still thought he was a little puppy and would try and climb up in my lap. He was so heavy!

My pup, Sam, is registered GSD from very good working dog bloodlines. I liked his parents, everything you'd expect. I had working dogs for about 15years. Joe was my first mixed breed and probably the smartest which is saying something compared to my other dogs. They were bred for temperament, drive and intelligence, wonderful dogs. And they are a bit smaller.

Sam is smaller also, will never weight much more than 75lbs. He'd be fat at 80lbs. He's at about 68lbs now and incredibly quick. I wouldn't want to be his target.

Sam's drive is off the charts right now too. It'll be this way a couple more years. By then he'll be wiser, less wasted energy. I posted back when we had about 50 feral cats plaguing several farms here. It took me months to get the situation under control. Joe was no help, he grew up with a kitten and liked them.

With Sam around there will be no feral cat problem in the future. The 3 barn cats here now have to run for their lives several times a day. Sam's keeping order and burning off energy! He learned from Joe who was well adapted to farm life. Sam is already great at alerting me if critters are somewhere they shouldn't be. If they are where they should be he knows to ignore them (except the cats).

Here is "no help" Joe just ignored the cats...

Kitten get along (1).jpg

Our dog had to be put down this year. Every day I look to see him waiting to greet me when I return home. He's not there and I miss him so much. Was not "My dog" but we took him in and gave him a home. Some day we shall meet again. :(
Some dogs are excellent people. God knows.

The little female kitten I just posted… its a shame what happened to her. Someone threw her out here, about 4months old. We needed a good barn cat at the time. Females make good mousers and she took up residence in the shop where we stored livestock feed. I took her to the vet and had her fixed. We just needed one cat and she fit the bill.

About a year later is when the feral cats started showing up. I didn’t realize there were so many. Anyway our little cat started wandering off with the ferals at night. She got run over crossing the highway.

Those feral cats were a nightmare. I help dad with his groceries, shop for him most of the time. I discovered he was spending $70 a month on cat food. He can’t afford that!!! He was feeding those ferals. I don’t think he realized how many there were. No wonder they were coming here, free food!!!

I wouldn’t go in the shop without a can of flea spray in my hand. They’d swarm anything that walked in. The shop was horrible and stank like cat p#$%. I live trapped about 38 of these cats. My rural county has no animal shelter... I just dropped them on the other side of a big swamp. The ones that were left were smart and knew I was hunting them. They weren’t falling for the live trap anymore. They were very hard to catch or deal with.

The 3 cats at the barn currently are the offspring of one of the ferals. I suspect Sam won't let them keep kittens. It's been the same two females up at the barn for a year... but no kittens? If Sam thinks they don't belong, they don't belong. He's in charge of small critters now.

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the sizes of men's socks? I started having trouble finding socks big enough about 4 years ago. I'd buy the same tube socks for here on the farm, size 6-12. Suddenly, even though they have the same size written on the package they were too small. I tried buying at the store, ordering... same. Lots of socks are size 6-12 but none fit my size 9 feet. I finally decided chinese men must have tiny feet or a different measuring system is used.

Couple years ago I found grey socks size 13-15. They fit! Didn't cut off my circulation after one washing.

I was due for new socks again and found the same grey socks a couple days ago.. I can wear them but even though the size is 13-15 on the pkg they are smaller, a 9-12 size.

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the sizes of men's socks? I started having trouble finding socks big enough about 4 years ago. I'd buy the same tube socks for here on the farm, size 6-12. Suddenly, even though they have the same size written on the package they were too small. I tried buying at the store, ordering... same. Lots of socks are size 6-12 but none fit my size 9 feet. I finally decided chinese men must have tiny feet or a different measuring system is used.

Couple years ago I found grey socks size 13-15. They fit! Didn't cut off my circulation after one washing.

I was due for new socks again and found the same grey socks a couple days ago.. I can wear them but even though the size is 13-15 on the pkg they are smaller, a 9-12 size.
If the socks will stretch, stretch 'em over an old pair of sneakers and wash them in hot water. Let them dry still on the sneakers. If that doesn't work. . . at least you've washed the sneakers.

Last edited:

Are you talking the "foot" or the "leg"?

I have saw the same issues. I wear a 14 shoe and finding socks that fit right is a nightmare. I like the low socks best. Some of them bearing come over my heel.

I have started buying from Duluth Trading. Their socks are expensive, but they fit real well and wear time wise even better

A pair of shoes I tried on recently was too tight to wear comfortably. Tried next size up, too big, enough that they slipped off the back of my foot. Have never had that happen, but it seems like that's the way it goes with shoes for me lately. Every pair I try on is not fitting right. Different brands, different styles, no fit. A friend suggested Heydude shoes but I generally don't order shoes online. Another has suggested Doc Marten shoes. I've never seen either kind except on my friends. Anyone else heard of these brands?
Recently bought some no show sockies, there's a little gel band at the heel that supposedly helps it stay on the foot, doesn't work on one foot.

A pair of shoes I tried on recently was too tight to wear comfortably. Tried next size up, too big, enough that they slipped off the back of my foot. Have never had that happen, but it seems like that's the way it goes with shoes for me lately. Every pair I try on is not fitting right. Different brands, different styles, no fit. A friend suggested Heydude shoes but I generally don't order shoes online. Another has suggested Doc Marten shoes. I've never seen either kind except on my friends. Anyone else heard of these brands?
Recently bought some no show sockies, there's a little gel band at the heel that supposedly helps it stay on the foot, doesn't work on one foot.
Stuff toilet paper in the toe till the heel is snug.

In my area Doc Martens are sold in most outdoor stores and farm stores. Also try the trendy shoe stores in the mall. Doc Martens ain't cheap. Expect to pay at least $125. They are known for being comfortable, but they don't fit me right so I've never owned a pair...

Not sure what type of shoe you are looking for, but I have had very good luck with Rockport shoes. Many models are made for walking. They wear like iron, and are as comfortable as bedroom slippers right out of the box. I highly recommend them.

I think it's how cheaply things are made these days! I bought 3 pair of Sketchers online this summer, 49.00$ shoes, 90% off, 4.90$ each. Same shoes, three different colors. One is larger than the other two. It's crazy!!

I've also found socks lately just don't fit. I wear a 11 1/2 shoe, and the socks are just too small. I usually end up throwing them away, and remember what brand not to buy.

Speaking of underwear, I am also having a problem buying nice, comfortable tee shirts. I am on a quest to find thick, tight neck tee shirts. Gildan is my preference but getting hard to find. I just went to our local 5.11 police store, and paid $65 for 3 tee shirts. Put them on, felt ok, washed them in cold water, and now shrunk to the point that it looks like a 5 pound bag with ten pounds of poop in it. Since they are washed, I can't return them, so into the trash they went.

I just got on Amazon, and ordered 4 different models of Gildan tee shirts. They should start arriving tomorrow. I will try them on, wash them, and probably throw out up to 3 different models, hoping to find one that fits.

Great comments and suggestions. Adding something in the toe area to make it fit would not sit well with my toes. Due to a bad car accident years ago, my feet and toes are touchy about how they’re treated. And I’m not a high heels girl either.
Tee shirts with a tight neck? I’d rip that right out, self tailored tees. Cut the sleeves. Cut the bottom hem off. 😳 Good as new, oh wait, it was new.

@havasu Not sure if this'll help... I buy colored pocket T's by Carhart. TSC has them as do others. They are the only shirt I wear in warm months here on the farm, even to town. In winter I wear them under long sleeve shirts as an undershirt. They might come in white, don't know. But they are good Tshirts, wear well, long lasting.

Last edited:
I just read that vets, Gold Star families and active duty members can get a free lifetime pass to National parks and other federal lands.
This started on Veterans day this year.
Free Entrance to National Parks for Gold Star Families and Veterans (U.S. National Park Service)
Edit It's free if you go to a park.
Online there is a $10 processing fee.

I got my Golden Access Pass through help from the VA not long after disabled. Seems I actually got it at the local Army Corp of Engineers office.

The golden access pass covers more than National Park Service.

All lands and agency's this pass covers…

US Army corp of engineers
Bureau of Land Management
Fish and Wildlife Service
Bureau of Reclamation
National Park Service
Forest Service
Tennessee Valley Authority

Golden access pass 72a.JPG
Golden access pass 73a.JPG

Last edited:
Back