Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have CA mosquitos. They probably identify as something else (face palm)
I don't think I've ever noticed skeeters in Cali. I suppose it's too dry for them to breed down in the desert, too high an elevation in the mountains, and all the drugs and booze in everybody's blood kills them in the cities...:rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever noticed skeeters in Cali. I suppose it's too dry for them to breed down in the desert, too high an elevation in the mountains, and all the drugs and booze in everybody's blood kills them in the cities...:rolleyes:

we have A LOT of irresponsible people who don’t believe in management of fields, pools etc. We have a really awesome mosquito abatement guy who tries his hardest to keep them under control but homeowners just don’t help the matter. Some times we go outside and (no exaggeration at all) just turn black with mosquitos. It has gotten a bit better but our “guy” can only do so much and ca politics have held him back lately so they have gotten worse again.

we have A LOT of irresponsible people who don’t believe in management of fields, pools etc. We have a really awesome mosquito abatement guy who tries his hardest to keep them under control but homeowners just don’t help the matter. Some times we go outside and (no exaggeration at all) just turn black with mosquitos. It has gotten a bit better but our “guy” can only do so much and ca politics have held him back lately so they have gotten worse again.
Jeez, that sounds like the Midwest in the summer. Especially when the weird tiger mosquitoes get bad...

It reminds me of a place we found in the Cascades when we were going cross country - no trails and the map was good for approximation but we were on our own. We crossed a river and decided to set up camp. About the time the sun started setting the fire was going good and dinner was cooking around the outside of it, THEY came. We gave up very quickly and got in the tents, The few mosquitoes that got in were quickly dispatched but the tents were completely covered with them. I had on good quality blue jeans and jungle fatigues over them. in the few moments of exposure I was bit 27 times on one thigh alone. There were five of us that went a little mad that night. We call the area "Itchy Ass" and as soon as it warmed up enough for the mosquitoes to leave we left too! Honestly, it was a year before I could be in a room with a mosquito. About 9 months later we were out shooting in an area we went to often and there were some mosquitoes that decided they would join us. Now, imagine four grown men shooting 12 gauge shotguns, a 45 and a 44 magnum at mosquitoes. I wasn't kidding when I said we went a little mad that night. It was a few years before I got over the urge to use a 12 gauge on bugs. It's funny today but not for a few days after it happened.

^^^ You're absolutely right, they're not funny at all. Skeeters and biting flies can drive you batty real quick. Working in places like Minnesota and Wisconsin during the summer has given me a real low tolerance for them. Just hearing the whiny hum of a mosquito flying near my head will make my neck and shoulders hunch up...

Edit: supposed the be a reply to @SheepDog . Whoops...

Don't do it Double R, It's summer in Antarctica and there are NO mosquitoes! ;)

Just had a busy , hectic day yesterday Meer,
I'll be vanishing for about a week.
We're heading off on a 7-day cruise:).
We have another one scheduled in April:eek:.
Lemme tellya' this retirement stuff is pure torture:D.
If any of my friends ask about me, tell'm: "no, the ****ard didn't die":rolleyes:.

If any of my friends ask about me, tell'm: "no, the ****ard didn't die":rolleyes:.
If/when you get bored with retirement, you can always enter politics. Just be sure of your Pepto-Bismol supply.

You will be missed but have a safe and fun trip! Watch out for sickies!!!! Nothing like a cruise to get you sick!

Another very busy day today,

Got the insurance taken care of.
Title transfer, and plates done.

Moved some vehicles and stuff around to accommodate the new toy.

Mama took me to lunch.

Visited my middle daughter.
Busy....

Jim

What did you get?!?!
Always fun to have a meal out with the better half!
Never mind! Saw on another post! Congratulations! Very pretty!

Last edited:
@Double R do you have high cholesterol? I've heard that mosquitos like people with high cholesterol, and it's been pretty true just of the few folks I ask now and then. Basil is a deterrent and smells better than dryer sheets and is a might healthier.

@Double R do you have high cholesterol? I've heard that mosquitos like people with high cholesterol, and it's been pretty true just of the few folks I ask now and then. Basil is a deterrent and smells better than dryer sheets and is a might healthier.
I don’t thankfully. Interesting though! I’ll try that! Thanks!

Last year was unusual because we had very few mosquitos. Not sure why but I didn't miss them. My wife always has basil growing near the front door because it smells so good.
Another strange thing is the barn swallows didn't come back. We always had to battle them to keep their nest off the front porch and last year they just didn't show up at all. Maybe the big fires in California?

Last year was unusual because we had very few mosquitos. Not sure why but I didn't miss them. My wife always has basil growing near the front door because it smells so good.
Another strange thing is the barn swallows didn't come back. We always had to battle them to keep their nest off the front porch and last year they just didn't show up at all. Maybe the big fires in California?
Interesting! Not sure.

I'm sitting here trying to get warm.
The house is 73
I'm in heavy sweat pants, heavy socks and shoes, long sleeve shirt and a sweater
I've been cold going on a week now.
Not sick or trying to fight anything off
Haven't been sick since back in late 2019
Circulation is fine. everything pink and healthy
Have no idea why I can't get warm.
Warm drinks not helping
Warm shower didn't help
Its damn annoying I tell ya

I'm leaning towards it being that my thermostat has now moved to the cold setting now that the menopause is past and was stuck on hot forever( years!!) it seems

I'm sitting here trying to get warm.
The house is 73
I'm in heavy sweat pants, heavy socks and shoes, long sleeve shirt and a sweater
I've been cold going on a week now.
Not sick or trying to fight anything off
Haven't been sick since back in late 2019
Circulation is fine. everything pink and healthy
Have no idea why I can't get warm.
Warm drinks not helping
Warm shower didn't help
Its damn annoying I tell ya

I'm leaning towards it being that my thermostat has now moved to the cold setting now that the menopause is past and was stuck on hot forever( years!!) it seems

@WVDragonlady ,
I have always been the one that's always hot ,can't get cool .

Now since the 2 surgeries this year, I cannot get warm.

Wife can't understand why I keep it so warm, 73, in the house.

Wierd..I can't explain it either...and i know it aint menapause.

Jim

@backlash , funny you mention this Bacl. We have had less mosquitos here for last couple years or longer.
Glad but still wonder whats up.
Lookingthat gift horse in the teeth for sure.

@backlash , funny you mention this Bacl. We have had less mosquitos here for last couple years or longer.
Glad but still wonder whats up.
Lookingthat gift horse in the teeth for sure.
Ahem. I read - somewhere I don't remember so you should rate it as rumor from me - that the North American flying insect population has been dropping for some time - and the population of birds that feed on them has been dropping too. Not nearly as many swallows, for instance.

Ahem. I read - somewhere I don't remember so you should rate it as rumor from me - that the North American flying insect population has been dropping for some time - and the population of birds that feed on them has been dropping too. Not nearly as many swallows, for instance.

We don't see as many migrating birds as we use to but we do have a family of Purple Martins past couple years.

Latest posts

Back