Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a sneezing fit! Haven't had one in yrs, sort of felt good! 😁 6/7 big sneezes, cleared my head some! Don't feel a cold comin' on, feel pretty good in fact. Took a round of tinctures just in case.
I do, every night when I take my nighttime meds, 8 or 9 sneezes.
Don't know why.
Not as bad as before, DW said that her and FIL used to count up to 16. :oops:
I like to think of it the same as cleaning the 'air-filter' on an engine:thumbs:.

Last edited:
Just realized... first day in just over a year i haven't played a guitar. Talked with an old friend last night. He just ordered a guitar hand made by Denny Zagar, got a great price, $2500. Good guitars are extremely cheap right now.

The big companies are holding to their prices and the stores with inventory. But independent luthiers are hurting, the custom shops. Owners are hurting too... having to sell. There are some real bargains out there... almost wish i were in the market but i need another guitar like i need a hole in my head. 😁

Just realized... first day in just over a year i haven't played a guitar. Talked with an old friend last night. He just ordered a guitar hand made by Denny Zagar, got a great price, $2500. Good guitars are extremely cheap right now.

The big companies are holding to their prices and the stores with inventory. But independent luthiers are hurting, the custom shops. Owners are hurting too... having to sell. There are some real bargains out there... almost wish i were in the market but i need another guitar like i need a hole in my head. 😁
My daughter started playing this summer. She's found it harder then she thought. But she's having fun with it. I mess around but have no talent.

My daughter started playing this summer. She's found it harder then she thought. But she's having fun with it. I mess around but have no talent.
Good for her!!! I play bluegrass and some old gospel. Started when i was kid, no good but it's brought me joy over 50yrs. Hope your kid stays with it.

I really enjoy picking with other folks. Not many pickers left but up in the TN valley there are several weekly and monthly events. 2hr drive for me, wish they were closer!!! Been to one place in May and again in august grea time, about 40 pickers there. I had a blast in april... Went to a 4 day event, classes with professionals. It cost $$ so only serious pickers were there, everybody had been on a stage, played bands.

Best part was picking at night... first night I sat with these folks (below), 18 at one point. 5 more pickers showed up and we split into 2 groups. Usually 8-10 folks and the music starts sounding ragged. Not so with these pickers, still sounded great with 18.

Don't know how your kid feels about bluegrass but lots of other acoustic music out there.

20230420_215240sm.jpg
20230420_215904sm.jpg

Good for her!!! I play bluegrass and some old gospel. Started when i was kid, no good but it's brought me joy over 50yrs. Hope your kid stays with it.

I really enjoy picking with other folks. Not many pickers left but up in the TN valley there are several weekly and monthly events. 2hr drive for me, wish they were closer!!! Been to one place in May and again in august grea time, about 40 pickers there. I had a blast in april... Went to a 4 day event, classes with professionals. It cost $$ so only serious pickers were there, everybody had been on a stage, played bands.

Best part was picking at night... first night I sat with these folks (below), 18 at one point. 5 more pickers showed up and we split into 2 groups. Usually 8-10 folks and the music starts sounding ragged. Not so with these pickers, still sounded great with 18.

Don't know how your kid feels about bluegrass but lots of other acoustic music out there.

View attachment 115929View attachment 115930
She's into rock and metal but she's the kinda kid that will probably grow into bluegrass when she gets older. You probably know what I mean. Once it really reaches her it will get her. That's what happened to me. I didn't like it when I was a kid and my grandparents had it on but one day in my late 20s I got it.

Ah my, this reminds me of the bluegrass festivals I used to go to, half a century ago, with my guitar and banjo picking friends. One or two of them played in bands, but most of them were there for the field picking in the evenings - often late evenings. I was there to listen, and drink beer, and smoke a little.

Ah my, this reminds me of the bluegrass festivals I used to go to, half a century ago, with my guitar and banjo picking friends. One or two of them played in bands, but most of them were there for the field picking in the evenings - often late evenings. I was there to listen, and drink beer, and smoke a little.
Jeez, I didn't realize how much I miss it, and my friends. Please excuse me while I weep a little.

My best-friend-in-this-world-beyond-childhood who wasn't family (name Roger) died a few decades ago, killed by a non-Hodgkins leukemia bug that had no remedy at the time. He played mostly backup bluegrass, because that's what he wanted to do. Once-in-awhile, at the end of the evening when the general mood was right, he played some bluegrass-soul solo. Sorry you missed it.

I do, every night when I take my nighttime meds, 8 or 9 sneezes.
Don't know why.
Not as bad as before, DW said that her and FIL used to count up to 16. :oops:
I like to think of it the same as cleaning the 'air-filter' on an engine:thumbs:.
Peppermint oil can make a person sneeze - I don't know what the active agent is but I do think it's used in medicines. It used to be if I took nyquil, I would sneeze a few times.

She's into rock and metal but she's the kinda kid that will probably grow into bluegrass when she gets older. You probably know what I mean. Once it really reaches her it will get her. That's what happened to me. I didn't like it when I was a kid and my grandparents had it on but one day in my late 20s I got it.
Have her listen to some older Irish Rock (even Flogging Molly) - it's incredible how close Irish and bluegrass are.

Jeez, I didn't realize how much I miss it, and my friends. Please excuse me while I weep a little.
I once heard a thing that a person doesn't really die until the last living person who remembers him/her dies. Your fond memories keep them alive. That's a good thing.

I used to like Marylin Manson, but his politics border on obscenity.
I figure you can still like a product even if you don't like their opinions. To a certain point. It is such that some people become so extreme that I can't separate their opinions with their work. As in their right, but it's also my right to say no thank you.

Good night everyone, my Hubby's mom made me sad and depressed! ☹️🤔🙄🙄🙄 Back to ME in the morning!!
Make the old bat some nice mint tea and dose the hell out of it with catnip and skullcap. she'll nod off and shut the heck up. If its safe for babies, it's safe for a battleaxe.

Latest posts

Back