Fruit Cakes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
qXF9h8a.jpg

That is photo shopped! Everyone knows that there is only a couple fruit cakes that get passed around the world each year. Nobody knows exactly how old they are but I have heard that they have an infinite shelf life. :)

Good lookin' cakes though.

That is photo shopped! Everyone knows that there is only a couple fruit cakes that get passed around the world each year. Nobody knows exactly how old they are but I have heard that they have an infinite shelf life. :)

Good lookin' cakes though.

Hubby said these cakes were made year before last. But they look just like the ones we made last month I just got pic mixed up.

Lol! They are pretty though. Mine are basically an applesauce cake with dried fruit chopped up. They are very moist and don't taste anything like the store bought ones. My mom used candied fruit in hers. I don't like it. I don't have mine made yet.

I have made a Banana Bread recipe with added mincemeat, fruit and nuts and with an orange glaze for over 40 years. Mom's recipe. Usually make 30 to 60 at Christmas. This year only 23 as we moved. They are excellent! Even folks who don't like fruitcake see m to love these!

I have made a Banana Bread recipe with added mincemeat, fruit and nuts and with an orange glaze for over 40 years. Mom's recipe. Usually make 30 to 60 at Christmas. This year only 23 as we moved. They are excellent! Even folks who don't like fruitcake see m to love these!

That is one of my favorites. We make mostly fruit cakes because hubbys mother loved them so when she stopped making them we sent her one every year. She made good fruit cakes so we took her recipe. She told us " your grandma couldn't make better cake than you do'.
I'll be making us some of those Banana Nut Cakes soon as things calm down. One of my favorite cakes. Hubby is actaully a better cake maker than me since he took over my kitchen.

Brandied Fruit Cake

To begin the fruit:
Week one.....1 cup pineapple, drained. Add one cup sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon.
Week two....1 cup drained peaches,add 1 cup sugar
Week three...1 cup drained apricots, add 1 cup sugar
Week four......1 cup marischino cherries, drained, add 1 cup sugar
I keep all this in a big glass jar, stir every day with a wooden spoon, leave on a shelf, covered with some saran wrap.
Week five......the recipe:

Brandied Fruit Cake
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
3 cups brandied fruit
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups pecans
Mix oil and eggs, beat well. Add flour,soda,vanilla, etc. and mix well.
Add the brandied fruit and nuts by hand last.
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

This is an old,old recipe, have had it for years. It is also good on ice cream.

I always love to sneak pieces out of the pineapple...it is soooo goood.

Jan Baker's German Fruitcake

3/4 cup margerine

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

3 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon of Allspice,Nutmeg,and Cinnamon

1 cup buttermilk

3/4 teaspoon soda

2/3 cup cherry preserves

2/3 cup apricot preserves

2/3 cup pineapple preserves

1 2/3 cups pecans

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix in order. Grease and flour 10" tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees

for 1 1/2 hours.

SurvivalBlog.com has an article about FruitCake and made me think of all of you, but especially Meerkat!

https://survivalblog.com/fruit-cake-crazy-nmsourdough/#more-53999

Fruit Cake? Are You Crazy?, by NMSourdough
By SurvivalBlog Contributor | February 11, 2018 |
Why in the world are you writing an article about fruit cake? Is it just because of Christmas? No, there are good reasons for writing about fruit cake and how it can supplement your food supplies. (I started the article during the Christmas season and have been delayed in completing it.)

“Crazy Like A Fox” Fruit Cake Rations
Well, believe it or not, fruit cake should be, or at least could be, a part of your rations to keep you going during difficult times. Whether it is a hurricane, a blizzard, an EMP, economic collapse, or an attack of zombies, a fruit cake can help you to survive.

Oh, sure. What? Do you throw the fruit cake at the zombies, or shoot it out of a cannon or something?

No. You eat it. What!?! Eat fruit cake? You are crazy! Yeah, crazy like a fox.

Fruit cakes have undergone a lot of jokes over the years, but you may not know why there are fruit cakes.

A Brief History of Fruit Cakes
There is some interesting history on how fruits cakes came about. Once upon a time, especially in northern Europe, the northern parts of the United States, and in Canada, during the hard winter months fresh fruits were not available. At that time, there was not the current world-wide trade, which brings in fruits and produce from other parts of the world that are in season. There was no refrigeration, and you couldn’t get canned or frozen fruit in whole form or as juice. We are talking about in the 1800s, when fruit cake was becoming more than a regional, popular Christmas treat.

Fruit Cake in Ancient Egypt
Fruit cake was supposedly in ancient Egypt. According to some historians, they think that fruit cake or something very similar to it, was not only eaten but also considered a burial gift, so that the deceased would have a lasting food to take with them into the next life. I do not know that there is a lot of evidence to support this idea, but it seems possible that something along the lines of a fruit cake could have been a part of life in ancient Egypt. That it will last a long time, there is no doubt.

Earliest Known Recipe
The earliest known recipe for fruit cake goes back to ancient Rome. The recipe called for pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and raisins to be mixed into a barley mash.[1] This sounds a bit more like oatmeal, but it was actually baked as a cake. No, I don’t think it is the same fruit cake that gets passed around every year, as even one of our modern fruit cakes would dry out after 1500 years. Fruit cake was also used by the Roman legions as a ration, as it lasted a long time and provided the nutrients needed to supplement the soldier’s daily dietary needs. “As an energy source it was extremely efficient. Pomegranate seeds pack 234 calories per cup, while raisins provide 435 calories per cup. Both pale in comparison to pine nuts which weigh in at 916 calories per cup.”[2]

During the Crusades, fruit cake went along with the armies heading to the Middle East as a supplement to their daily meals and as a treat, since it was not always practical to try and make desserts during the long travel to the Middle East.

The English and Europe in the 1400s through 1700s
Jump forward to the 1400s. The English had started adding dried fruits to their cakes that were being brought in through trade with Mediterranean countries. So, we can blame the English for starting the fruit cake craze.

Jump forward again to 1700s Europe, when nuts were being baked into the fruit cakes as a way to celebrate the Fall harvest. The cakes would be kept a year and eaten prior the next year’s harvest as a means to hope for another abundant harvest.

Plum Cakes and Queen Victoria– a Fan of Fruit Cake
In the late 1700s and early 1800s, plum cakes had become very popular but were actually outlawed because they were “sinfully rich”.[1] By the mid-1800s, fruit cakes were becoming increasingly popular in England. Queen Victoria was having them served with afternoon tea. So fond of fruit cake was Queen Victoria that it “is said she waited a year to eat a fruitcake she received for her birthday because she felt it showed restraint, moderation and good taste.[1]” Fruit cake was so popular in England it was being served at weddings, and unmarried guests were expected to take a slice of fruit cake home and put it under their pillows so that they would dream of who they would marry.

Queen Victoria’s marriage to Prince Albert was probably partially responsible for her becoming a fan of fruit cakes, as Germany, along with Poland, and other North European countries had also become fond of fruit cake.

Popularity of Fruit Cake in U.S. and Canada
The popularity of fruit cake spread to the U.S. and Canada as more people immigrated to North America, which is why some of you still bake fruit cakes or buy them for friends and family.

Long-Lasting Fruit Cake
A 106 year old fruit cake was discovered by the Antarctic Heritage Trust in Antarctica and was described “as in excellent condition” and “almost” edible[3]. Okay, okay. Many of you think fresh fruit cakes are barely edible, let alone a 106-year old fruit cake. It does show that if properly stored, they will last a long time, at least several years or more.

In modern times, fruit cake was included in C-Rations used by the U.S. military. It is also included in MRE rations as a dessert. It was/is a dessert option that came along with the main protein rations. Regardless of whether you are in a cold or warm climate, if fresh fruit is not available on a regular basis, fruit cake can provide some of the nutrients that you would normally get from having fresh fruit.

Why Fruit Cake Is Good as a Survival Ration
As mentioned above, fruit cake was included in U.S. military C-Rations and is included in MRE rations as well. Fruit cake is actually quite a good source of vitamins and minerals during the winter months. It also has carbohydrates that can help with energy and keep weight on during the cold winter months.

The people of North Europe needed to balance out their diets and to make sure they had enough fruit to get them through the hard winter months. Fruit cake was a good way to do this, and they could enjoy it as a dessert. They baked fruit cakes, and yes, they also canned and preserved, though fruit cakes were more than just a one item dessert or addition to a meal.

What Fruit To Put In It
Pretty much any fruit can be put into a fruit cake, and sometimes the more the better. You can put in cherries, grapes, pineapple, lemons, limes, cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, and currants; you name it, and you can add it in. Many use candied or dried fruits, and some use various citrus juices in lieu of dried or candied fruit. You can also add raisins, dates, figs, plums, and any nuts you like, such as walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, et cetera.

The rest of the article, including some jokes at the end:

What Else Goes In?
Guess what else goes in? Usually a generous amount of your favorite adult beverage! Yes, traditionally rum, brandy, and whiskey are used. However, what you put in, depends on what you like! Additionally, you can also, along with all the regular basic seasonings, add in nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, molasses, coconut, and just about anything else you like as seasonings.

Between all these ingredients along with the milk, eggs, and butter, you have a source of food that is very rich in vitamins and minerals, not to mention some protein as well. It also stores well, and if stored properly can last quite a long time, as mentioned earlier in the article.

Rations That Last
Many talk about how to get rations that will last and keep them going during times of difficulty. There is no reason to not put fruit cake on your list of possible items that can help you survive long periods of time without the ease of being able to go and get what you want at your local store.

So, you may want to consider having a few fruit cakes around (other than the in-laws and other relatives), as they could come in handy. If you run out of ammunition, you can always strap the fruit cake to a broomstick or baseball bat and bludgeon the zombies to death!

Recipes
Recipes are plentiful on the Internet. Some of you may have family recipes that can be used, should you decide that fruit cake may be a good addition to your rations. You can also find how to make fruit cakes in many cookbooks and in specific cookbooks for desserts and for fruit cake.

Some Food For Thought
I’ve talked about fruit cake history and real reasons for using it in your rations, but there are some good fruit cake jokes. I’m sharing a few below:

TOP 10 USES FOR HOLIDAY FRUITCAKES[4]
  1. Use slices to balance that wobbly kitchen table.
  2. Use instead of sand bags during El Nino.
  3. Send to U.S. Air Force, to use as bombs.
  4. Use as railroad ties.
  5. Use as speed bumps to foil the neighborhood drag racers.
  6. Collect ten and use them as bowling pins.
  7. Use as reinforcements for fence posts.
  8. Save for next summer’s garage sale.
  9. Use slices in next skeet-shooting competition.
  10. Two words pin cushion.
A Fruit Cake Recipe (Joke)[5]
If you find yourself stressed about all of the Thanksgiving/Christmas cooking and company, try this sure-fire recipe. I’ve never liked fruitcake, but this recipe has made me change my mind. I discovered after trying this recipe that there isn’t anything better on Friday nights after work than a HUGE slice of this great recipe:

First, you’ll need the following: a cup of water, a cup of sugar, four large brown eggs, two cups of dried fruit, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of brown sugar, lemon juice, nuts, and a bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it’s the highest quality, our one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again. Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Beat two eggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the tuner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Now sift lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Now, grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don’t forget to beat off the tuner. Throw the bowl out the window. Check the whiskey again and go to bed.

I had a fruitcake years ago that was undoubtedly the best fruit cake I have ever had.
We used it as a door stop for a long time because it had to weigh ten pounds and it held the door firmly.
We had to get rid of it, sadly, when we found a dead rat that had eaten a small part from one corner.
We burned it in a fire so as not to expose other animals to death. That is the problem with using poisons, they tend to work their way up the food chain and kill animals that are never targeted.
I haven't found a good fruit cake since. I now use a large piece of petrified wood as a door stop. It is prettier than the fruit cake and almost as heavy.

OK, it is all a joke but this "story" expresses my feelings about fruit cake. :)

My mom made a light fruitcake and a dark fruitcake and I liked both, but preferred the dark. Neither had alcohol in them.
Date nut cookies were similar and I liked them too.
I have never understood why people don't like fruitcake, unless they never had a good one or they don't like dried fruit.

Years ago a co-worker brought a fruit cocktail cake to work and it was luscious. She topped hers with the German Chocolate Cake frosting using only the custard and leaving out the coconut and pecans. I never could pry the recipe from her so began searching for one online. This one uses a cake mix with coconut added.
Fruit Cocktail Cake (from a Cake Mix) Recipe
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • Add 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • Add 2 eggs
  • Add 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
  • Add 1 cup coconut
  • Add 1 (16 ounce) can fruit cocktail
Preheat to 325*. Combine cake mix, fruit cocktail with juices, 1 cup of coconut and eggs in a large mixer bowl. Blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan, or two 8x8 pans.

Sprinkle batter evenly with remaining 1/2 cup of coconut, and then 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Bake at 325* for 45 min (if 9x13 pan; about 30-35 min for two pans). Serve warm or room temp; stays moist for several days.

Allrecipes has this very basic scratch recipe.
Fruit Cocktail Cake Recipe

Here’s the recipe for the German Chocolate cake frosting.
German Chocolate Cake Frosting Recipe
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ⅓ cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, at a low boil until mixture turns a light caramel color and thickens, about 10 minutes. Step 2 Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Let cool to room temperature before spreading on cake.

I have two recipes I want to give a try. I have dried cranberries, apples, apricots and dates to use instead of the traditional glazed fruit and peels.

https://www.encompassingdesigns.com/blog/marjories-light-fruitcake-recipeMarjorie’s Light Fruit Cake

1 Cup butter – room temperature
2 Cups brown sugar
4 Eggs – room temperature
1 Cup crushed pineapple (do not drain)
3 Cups flour (reserve 1/2 cup to flour fruit)
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 lb. white raisins
1/4 lb. Mixed Peel (orange, lemon, citron)
1/2 lb. Glace Fruit Mix - mixed colours
1 Cup walnut pieces
Tube Pan greased and floured
Bake 325* oven for 1 ½ Hours

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-fruitcake-recipe-3053539
1 (2 layer size) package spice cake mix
1 (3 3/4-ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
2/3 cup apricot nectar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apricot brandy
4 large eggs
1 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped red candied cherries
1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
1 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze:
1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons apricot brandy

Heat the oven to 350 F. Generously grease and flour a one-piece 10-inch tube cake pan. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, apricot nectar, vegetable oil, and 1/4 cup apricot brandy. Beat on medium speed until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs to the batter one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Fold in the chopped fruits and nuts. Turn the batter into the prepared tube pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan and then remove the cake to a rack to cool thoroughly. For best flavor, wrap and store the cake in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving. Combine 2 to 3 tablespoons of apricot brandy with 1 cup confectioners' sugar; drizzle over fruitcake before serving, if desired.

Latest posts

Back