Full moon

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Moon. Last one for this year?
3C78A149-7F92-4970-B769-E8D9C7EB17E3.jpeg

I miss stargazing in the boondocks of Arizona, the skies here in the Tularosa Basin aren't as clear, perhaps due to the gypsum dune field of White Sands... if there's ANY wind, that fine gypsum gets blown into the air and makes the sky less clear. Dunno how much of that gypsum I'm breathing either... might not be the best place to dwell, lol. But I did see the moon last night, and it was very pretty! :rolleyes:

My calendar says the full moon is on the 12th, which is today, but I dunno if that means after midnight (last night) or this evening... guess we'll find out. ;)

I wish some of you guys that live out in the gods country would post some night time pics, I haven't seen the full sky since I left the wood lot. and not for twenty years before that!

My phone doesn't take good night time photos so they do no justice at how beautiful it was watching the moon rise over the thunderstorms last night.
I sat outside for a few hours , the goats joined me as the sun set the last of it's pinky orange rays upon the eastward storm clouds.
As soon as it got darker, I watched the thunderhead light up from within over n over as the earth n the sky resettled its charged energy.
A few times I was able to catch a Perseids streaking across the sky too.
Zbout 3 beers into the night the thunderhead was outlined from behind with a increasing glowing aura. The occasional lightning illuminated the whole cloud really making for a intense show.
Finally, the moon peeked out from behind for a brief moment at first as it passed a hole in the thunderhead. The hole was almost perfectly sized to display its entire glory and it gave a otherworldly spotlight kind of beam as it moved again behind the last peice of the cloud.
It was interesting to watch how fast it was moving. The cloud really highlighted that earth moon rotation perspective.
It was beautiful!

Attachments

• 20220812_223646.jpg
    20220812_223646.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220812_223637.jpg
    20220812_223637.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220812_210258.jpg
    20220812_210258.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 0
My phone doesn't take good night time photos so they do no justice at how beautiful it was watching the moon rise over the thunderstorms last night.
I sat outside for a few hours , the goats joined me as the sun set the last of it's pinky orange rays upon the eastward storm clouds.
As soon as it got darker, I watched the thunderhead light up from within over n over as the earth n the sky resettled its charged energy.
A few times I was able to catch a Perseids streaking across the sky too.
Zbout 3 beers into the night the thunderhead was outlined from behind with a increasing glowing aura. The occasional lightning illuminated the whole cloud really making for a intense show.
Finally, the moon peeked out from behind for a brief moment at first as it passed a hole in the thunderhead. The hole was almost perfectly sized to display its entire glory and it gave a otherworldly spotlight kind of beam as it moved again behind the last peice of the cloud.
It was interesting to watch how fast it was moving. The cloud really highlighted that earth moon rotation perspective.
It was beautiful!
WOW, how cool!!

Sometimes it's better to just live in the moment and not worry about taking a picture... :rolleyes:

I've seen some fools so caught up with capturing a photo or "taking a selfie" that they miss most of what's happening... :confused:

Moi, I've watched sunsets from the islands off Baja with a camera nearby, and honestly, there were times when I just told myself, "Forget the camera, this one's for me!" :cool:

Sounds selfish, lol, but sometimes that's the way it is... I'm not compelled to document every single move or event in the wilderness. As an aspiring Zen master, there are moments when I simply wish to exist & appreciate my surroundings. ;)

Summer is the worst time for star gazing here in the deep south. The humidity is always high even if the sky is clear and it causes distortion. I tried using my telescope in summer when I first got it. There after I only used it in winter, on clear nights with very low humidity. Which means its also very cold. I'd set up my telescope in late afternoon, let it get very cold and use it after 9pm.

I have a friend alway goes camping on the full moon.
Full moons make me want to do a BBQ myself. LOTS of red meat, sauces, seared buttery potatoes and slaw! but mainly meat, dripping with juices and sauces and home baked yeast bread!

Latest posts

Back